Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

stevep

macrumors 6502a
Original poster
Oct 13, 2004
UK
A few things Apple could do for the mini:

1. Get rid of the internal modem - most people have broadband now.
2. Provide bluetooth and airport as standard - especially as Apple seem to be concerned about our desktop clutter.
3. Upgrade video to 64mB - many customers for the mini will be potential gamers.
4. 7200rpm hard drive - maybe a 60gB Hitachi??

And I won't mention the RAM - Apple don't seem to be able to buy it as cheaply as I can......

Is it worth waiting for any of these, or should I buy one as soon as Tiger is announced?

grapes911

Moderator emeritus
Jul 28, 2003
Citizens Bank Park
stevep said:
A few things Apple could do for the mini:

1. Get rid of the internal modem - most people have broadband now.
Check your info. "54.85% of US home users dial into the Internet with "narrowband" connections of 56Kbps or less." link

2. Provide bluetooth and airport as standard - especially as Apple seem to be concerned about our desktop clutter.
Sorry, but bluetooth in on the way out. Wireless is nice, but not worth building into the price of a desktop.

3. Upgrade video to 64mB - many customers for the mini will be potential gamers.
The mini is a intro-to-mac computer. It is supposed to be cheap and compete with pc's low prices to get potental switchers.

4. 7200rpm hard drive - maybe a 60gB Hitachi??
Again, not for power uses as a main computer. Keep the cost down.

And I won't mention the RAM - Apple don't seem to be able to buy it as cheaply as I can......
Ah, we finally agree. 512 should be the min in all computers (and rumor says it may be real soon). Even the average user needs 512 for a good mac experience.

Is it worth waiting for any of these, or should I buy one as soon as Tiger is announced?
You seem like a real mac fan who would be better suited for a more powerfull machine. If this is going to be secondary system, they go for it. Buy it when you need it.

Mitthrawnuruodo

Moderator emeritus
Mar 10, 2004
Bergen, Norway
1. No, no, no... the modem is one of the main reasons I got one for my father-in-law, who does NOT have broadband (although we're working on that, too ;)). If the mini hadn't had a modem and he had to buy an external this might have tipped him over to Dell...

2. I agree, specially to the Bluetooth module. A Bluetooth chip, in large quantities, cost less than $4.

3. Maybe a BTO option, MOST people have more than enough with 32 MB. The mini, although able to run games are not a gaming machine. The only reason to upgrade the GPU is to meet the specification to all the eyecandy in Tiger.

4. 7200 disk would be nice, but again, to keep costs down, this, too, should be a BTO option...

RAM: I hope 512 MB will be the base when Tiger is released, on all Macs, the mini included. (Though maybe not on the iBooks, but that's another discussion)

pulsewidth947

macrumors 65816
Jan 25, 2005
Having spent the best part of a weekend with my low end mini, i thought i'd throw my 2c in. A larger harddrive really would be nice, 60GB as standard would be cool, i dont think it necessarily needs 7200rpm, 4200 is fine for such a low end machine. But i got 40GB, Panther takes 10GB, so that only leaves me 30 to play with. And considering my iTunes library is just under 20GB (thanks to my 20GB iPod) that leaves me with 10GB which is a bit cruel.

I agree the internal modem should be there, i would have liked more usb slots, but 2 is ok for my needs (especially whn i get a apple keyboard with the 2 ports on). 1 firewire isnt really an issue thanks to daisy chaining.

I'm still using the 256 memory, which for just browsing the internet, downloading and chatting on IM is fine. I will stick in my 512 tho when i find a putty knife!

stevep

macrumors 6502a
Original poster
Oct 13, 2004
UK
54.85% of US home users dial into the Internet with "narrowband" connections
And they still could - I wasn't suggesting taking their 56k connections away from them. Rather that, as Broadband usage is increasing, that the mini should be catering for that (btw, nice graphs on your provided link). Also an external usb modem only costs about a tenner for those wanting an outdated connection.

bluetooth in on the way out
Hmmm, wasn't aware that was the case. I think a BT mouse and k/b is a neat anti-clutter solution, along with the chance to link up to a mobile phone (if you've got a BT phone that is!)

MOST people have more than enough with 32 MB
Well yes -fair point. 32 is ok for me as I'm not interested in computers as games machines. I was just thinking of gamers, but maybe they just ought to buy a playstation.

4. OK maybe a 7200rpm drive is asking a bit too much, (and it can be added later by those who are really serious enough to get the screwdrivers out).

5. Memory - ah yes. My point here was that Apple ram is so expensive I'd just as soon that they left it at 256. That way when I upgrade it to 1gB I get it cheaper from Crucial or wherever, and I'm not losing so much by chucking out the Apple stick.

i would have liked more usb slots
Now that is a good idea

Chaszmyr

macrumors 601
Aug 9, 2002
grapes911 said:
Sorry, but bluetooth in on the way out.

I don't necessarily agree with that. Sooner or later, Bluetooth will be replaced by a much higher-speed and hopefully easier to work with protocol, but I think bluetooth is bigger than ever at the moment. It's kinda like DVDs... Everyone knows Blu-Ray and HD DVD are coming, but that doesn't mean no one is wanting DVDs.

chv400

macrumors 6502
Dec 16, 2003
Houston, TX
The HD isnt a probalem and 7200 isnt likely to happen anytime soon as not even the PBs have 7200 since the mini is basicaly a computer made from laptop parts a 2.5 HD @7200 will have to wait.

emotion

macrumors 68040
Mar 29, 2004
Manchester, UK
chv400 said:
The HD isnt a probalem and 7200 isnt likely to happen anytime soon as not even the PBs have 7200 since the mini is basicaly a computer made from laptop parts a 2.5 HD @7200 will have to wait.

5400 is pretty much just as quick anyway. i think barefeats have the details.

emotion

macrumors 68040
Mar 29, 2004
Manchester, UK
stevep said:
5. Memory - ah yes. My point here was that Apple ram is so expensive I'd just as soon that they left it at 256. That way when I upgrade it to 1gB I get it cheaper from Crucial or wherever, and I'm not losing so much by chucking out the Apple stick.

I'm hoping they don't up the 12" powerbook to 512 for this reason (ie. 256 soldered and 256 in the one slot). 512 soldered onto the MB would be nice tho as it'd up the max ram for the machine when loaded with 1GB

FoxyKaye

macrumors 68000
I'd rather like to see these as BTO options - although broadband is a particular problem in rural areas, and I don't agree that the modem should go.

Apple's goal with the Mini is to increase its market share and compete with the cheapie PCs already on the market. If they start pumping its baseline models full of steroids, then it won't sell.

It seems what you're talking about is making the Mini less of an entry-level Mac and more of a mid-level - though with the additional costs these options would create, an iMac would be a much better (and more appropriate) deal.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.