Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

stevep

macrumors 6502a
Original poster
Oct 13, 2004
UK
To (nearly) everyone -

Although I've used a mac for some time, I only joined the forum recently, after getting my iBook and wanting to make sure that I could learn as much as possible to use it effectively.
I'm sure I've posted a few dumb questions, but nearly all my posts (thread starters and thread responses) have been met with informed answers and helpful comments. I have learned a hell of a lot from reading other peoples posts (yes, and some of them are dumb as well!) and, where possible I've tried to give a little back where I think I can be of help.
The overwhelming majority of posters are polite, informed, amusing, etc etc, and I am still achieving my original aim of learning as much as I can about macs - so a BIG thank you to the forum community.

Why the (nearly) at the top of the post? Well, just occasionally, someone posts a dumb question and follows it up by dissing those who try to help, and compounds it all by trying to prove how clever they are. It's very satisfying to see that the response is often 'pacifist' - a very muted and gentle reminder about the aims of the forum, or maybe the thread just stops in its tracks because no-one likes a smart-****.

And finally, I bet that most if not all of the people running this forum are unpaid, unsung and largely anonymous - thanks.

PlaceofDis

macrumors Core
Jan 6, 2004
Blue Velvet said:
Best post of 2005.

its certainly up there that is for sure

and a big Welcome to you as well, and Thanks in part to you as well, everyone is a part of the community, and the more you contribute and become one of those polite and helpful people the better!

thank you for your post, makes us all feel special and loved

iGary

May 26, 2004
Randy's House
Nice to hear...I've found that some of the "less forgiving" and "less helpful" get ignored by most members and quickly leave the board as it's attention they're after.

I'm no expert, but help when I can. I came from an "anything goes" message board that I ran for three years, and honestly, a nicely administered board is so much better. No drama, no flaming, name-calling, explicit profanity.

Short: I like it here, and I'm glad most folks put up with my ramblings. :D

I do wish Arn and the powers that be would put a Pay Pal link back up. I don't even want anything for it.

PlaceofDis

macrumors Core
Jan 6, 2004
iGary said:
I do wish Arn and the powers that be would put a Pay Pal link back up. I don't even want anything for it.

agreed, i would like to contribute now that i can afford to give, even if it is just a little bit

jackieonasses

macrumors 6502a
Mar 3, 2004
the great OKLAHOMA....
I remember when i first started here, I was in awe of the "community" I love it here. And i hope now and in future i am one of those people you are talking about. If any of you guys have problems pm me or im me...

Thank you MacRumors!

kyle

Dalriada

macrumors 6502
Aug 26, 2004
Moorlough Shore
For my part I've been in here daily ever since I joined and for sure I've learnt a bunch during that time. It's truly a great community and at times I'm amazed at the patience taken to reply on each single newbie recurring question (which could have been settled by a simple search on the Forum) So big kudos to the MR regular's out there... you know who are you !!

- Dal

mad jew

Moderator emeritus
Apr 3, 2004
Adelaide, Australia
It's a very cool place! I'm a pretty new user here despite having been registered for almost a year. I was initially pretty intimidated by some of the regulars (and their MASSIVE knowledge of Macs) so I didn't post all that much but I'm getting into it now. It's HELLA fun! :D

Big thanks to the crew in charge.

wrldwzrd89

macrumors G5
Jun 6, 2003
Solon, OH
MacRumors is such a great community. It's efforts made by the community as a whole (as the thread starter pointed out) that make this place, in Apple's words, "Insanely Great". I do my best to contribute to this image also.

~Shard~

macrumors P6
Jun 4, 2003
This is what it is all about - helping other people, having some fun, sharing knowledge. I'm glad your experience has been such a positive one. Yes, there are some posters who basically act like ******s, but once people start ignoring them, their sole reason for being on the Forum (namely attention) disappears and they usually fade away, as they should. MacRumors is a great site though - I've been on many other Forums which have not been as carefully and maturely monitored and moderated as this one, as the result has just been frustrating and counter-productive.

So I'll extend my own thanks to Arn and Co. for maintaining such a great site, and a thanks to the members for making the site what it is.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.