Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

zen

macrumors 68000
Original poster
Jun 26, 2003
Hi,

This is probably a very easy question to answer, but I find iDVD 5 quite illogical and very limited in a lot of ways, and the help hasn't been much use!

According to the documents, iDVD will automatically format a video if it is widescreen. This is fine, if I am making a widescreen DVD, how do I switch the menu screen to widescreen? I end up with a 4:3 menu and a 16:9 main feature. I can't find menu aspect ratio controls anywhere.

Secondly, I noticed that while it did format some titles in widescreen (I had a set of individual videos on the disc, some where 4:3, some widescreen), it stretched one of them so while it filled the 16:9 screen on the TV, it was stretched vertically (possible because the video was actually wider than 16:9).

Does iDVD provide any aspect ratio manual control? As I said, I haven't been able to find any...

Zem

mrgreen4242

macrumors 601
Feb 10, 2004
This post is kinda old, but here's something that will help you. http://capital2.capital.edu/admin-staff/dalthoff/widescreen.html. Hopefully Apple will address this in a future patch with a simple menu panel with some toggle switches to let you set these options manually. I'd also like to see some more encoder options, but i suppose I will need FCE/P for that. :(

There needs to be an evaluation copy of FCE to see how it handles things like this before you shell out $100 or whatever it is.

Rod Rod

macrumors 68020
Sep 21, 2003
Las Vegas, NV
All the 16:9 Hollywood DVDs I've seen have 4:3 menus. I think they create the menus 4:3 with 16:9 cropping in mind, meaning the buttons are aligned so they don't overscan off a 16:9 screen.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.