Go Back   MacRumors Forums > Apple Hardware > Desktops > iMac

Old May 16, 2011, 06:36 PM   #1
GatorsUF
macrumors newbie

Can't insert a disc in superdrive...

For some reason when I try to insert a disc into my drive slot, I can only push it in about half way and it feels like it hits something. There is not a disc in the drive, as I just ejected a disc before I had the problem. I tried the terminal command to force eject and it didn't seem to help...
GatorsUF is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old May 16, 2011, 07:19 PM   #2
RollTide
macrumors 6502

restart your Mac and hold down the mouse button. I know you said nothing was in there, but maybe this will move the bits around some.

Worth a try imo.

Last edited by RollTide; May 16, 2011 at 07:19 PM. Reason: I seem to always capitalize the "a" in iMAc
RollTide is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Aug 5, 2011, 12:30 PM   #3
Tigerman82
macrumors regular

Superdrive doesn't accept discs

Quote:
Originally Posted by GatorsUF View Post
For some reason when I try to insert a disc into my drive slot, I can only push it in about half way and it feels like it hits something. There is not a disc in the drive, as I just ejected a disc before I had the problem. I tried the terminal command to force eject and it didn't seem to help...
I have a mid-2010 iMac (21.5", Snow Leopard) and a similar problem. Today I decided to copy a music CD to my iTunes library. It worked and I ejected the disc. However, I was about to put another CD into the Superdrive and it did not go in. Just like with GatorsUF, the disc went half way in and then hit something soft but firm.

I've owned this iMac for about a year and this is the first problem with the Superdrive (which I do not use a lot). I've tried to shut down the iMac, checking the disk and repairing the disk permissions -- and obviously trying out different CDs and DVDs. It occurs to me that the problem might be that the Superdrive for some reason does not know it is empty. I've read that through Windows (bootcamp) you can eject with the Superdrive ejecting even if it is empty. However, I do not have Windows on this Mac and do not know how to eject when the drive is empty.

Any suggestions?

EDIT: Found a cure: click and hold left mouse button while booting up.

Last edited by Tigerman82; Aug 6, 2011 at 01:35 AM.
Tigerman82 is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Oct 25, 2013, 04:12 PM   #4
Maiada
macrumors newbie

same problem

I have the same problem with my Macbook Pro.. could you please tell me how you solved it?
Maiada is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Oct 25, 2013, 04:22 PM   #5
palmharbor
Banned

Same

I have a mac mini and got the outboard DVD/CD drive from Apple.
Had same problem. Apple said it was unfixable and sent me an
identical new one.
palmharbor is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Oct 26, 2013, 11:11 AM   #6
magilla
macrumors regular

Quote:
Originally Posted by Maiada View Post
I have the same problem with my Macbook Pro.. could you please tell me how you solved it?
Read the re-post by Tigerman82 right above your question.
magilla is offline   0 Reply With Quote

MacRumors Forums > Apple Hardware > Desktops > iMac