Go Back   MacRumors Forums > iPhone, iPod and iPad > iPad > iPad Accessories

Old May 17, 2011, 03:26 PM   #1
Vulcan4770
macrumors member

Buy smart cover/back piece or wait for new cases?

I can't decide if I should buy a smart cover and a back piece from eBay or if I should wait for a case that has both functionalites. I liked the pixelskin hd wrap design but I want the magnets in the cover and others cases like STM skinny and incase magaine jacket are close calls but leave parts of back exposed or don't have magnets in them. Trying not to spend slot.

Should I go for smart cover or wait for new cases? Anyone heard of news stuff coming out?
Vulcan4770 is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old May 17, 2011, 04:06 PM   #2
redzapper
macrumors member

I went with the smartcover/TPU backcase combo.

It was cheap ($34 total off ebay) and I like the fact I can take the cover off when I'm walking around at home.
redzapper is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old May 17, 2011, 04:19 PM   #3
Vulcan4770
macrumors member

Good point which smart cover did u get
Vulcan4770 is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old May 17, 2011, 10:13 PM   #4
LDTaylor85
macrumors member

I went with the smart cover,carbon fiber skin on the back with a clear plastic case on the back as well. Best combo for me so far
LDTaylor85 is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old May 17, 2011, 10:17 PM   #5
macingman
macrumors 68020

There are already cases which cover both the back and front and have magnets for the screen. I can't remember exactly which ones but when I get home I'll let you know.
Old May 17, 2011, 10:21 PM   #6
vbhoj74
macrumors newbie

I just ordered cuberacoustics case which has smart cover functionalities.

Sent from my Nexus S using Tapatalk
vbhoj74 is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old May 17, 2011, 11:27 PM   #7
Awjvail
macrumors 6502

Switcheasy Canvas has the Smart Cover functionality... waaay cheaper than buying both pieces separately.
Awjvail is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old May 17, 2011, 11:50 PM   #8
kimkim23
macrumors newbie

smart covers just aint practical. In the end 80% you're end up hunting for a folder type for more protection... dont waste the money ~
kimkim23 is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old May 18, 2011, 12:01 AM   #9
LDTaylor85
macrumors member

Quote:
Originally Posted by kimkim23 View Post
smart covers just aint practical. In the end 80% you're end up hunting for a folder type for more protection... dont waste the money ~
I don't like the folder types..it makes me feel claustrophobic, I like being able to rip the smart cover off
LDTaylor85 is offline   1 Reply With Quote
Old May 18, 2011, 08:52 AM   #10
redzapper
macrumors member

Quote:
Originally Posted by ldtaylor85 View Post
i like being able to rip the smart cover off
+1
Old May 18, 2011, 01:10 PM   #11
3goldens
macrumors 68000

get protection right away, anything, get a cheap one and then do some research on what you would want to live with.

No rush on a permeant case, be patient and find the bet one for you, just make sure your back is covered until then!
3goldens is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old May 18, 2011, 03:02 PM   #12
sracer
macrumors 68000

Quote:
Originally Posted by redzapper View Post

It was cheap ($34 total off ebay) and I like the fact I can take the cover off when I'm walking around at home.
That's exactly what I did... but I paid full price for the smart cover and $10 w/free shipping for the TPU backcase. The thickness of the whole thing is virtually the same as a naked iPad1. It's a great combo.
sracer is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old May 18, 2011, 03:10 PM   #13
m.carroll
macrumors member

just curious: is the TPU back protection the rubbery, glossy plastic type, or more of the soft-touch plastic?

i'm not crazy about the hard plastic ones, as they seem to trap dirt in there and then could muck up the nice aluminum back...
m.carroll is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old May 18, 2011, 10:21 PM   #14
macingman
macrumors 68020

Quote:
Originally Posted by 3goldens View Post
get protection right away, anything, get a cheap one and then do some research on what you would want to live with.

No rush on a permeant case, be patient and find the bet one for you, just make sure your back is covered until then!
I find the backs NEVER scratch anyway, I have been using aluminium Apple products without protection for years and don't have one scratch and I use them for 40000+ miles of travel each year.
Old May 19, 2011, 08:12 AM   #15
French
macrumors regular

Quote:
Originally Posted by redzapper View Post

With these back cases on does the smart cover stay fully open, or does the last accordian part flip open all the time? Or is that why you say you like you can take the whole thing off?

That was my gripe about the smart cover to begin with...that when in the open position mine constantly flipped away from the back of the ipad and got on my nerves. I also didn't find the ipad to be very stable with the smart cover folded to hold it up.
French is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old May 19, 2011, 12:43 PM   #16
redzapper
macrumors member

Quote:
Originally Posted by French View Post
With these back cases on does the smart cover stay fully open, or does the last accordian part flip open all the time? Or is that why you say you like you can take the whole thing off?

That was my gripe about the smart cover to begin with...that when in the open position mine constantly flipped away from the back of the ipad and got on my nerves. I also didn't find the ipad to be very stable with the smart cover folded to hold it up.
With the back case I have, it does not dampen the magnets so it does not compromise how the smart cover works.

It doesn't improve how the smart cover works either tho.
Old May 22, 2011, 09:39 AM   #17
lucyna
Banned

There are some smart covers with back cover, and there are also many back case compatible with smart cover, that's your choice.
lucyna is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old May 22, 2011, 09:41 AM   #18
Surely

Quote:
Originally Posted by LDTaylor85 View Post
I like being able to rip the smart cover off
Exactly. It's like I have the best of both worlds.

I went with the black leather SmartCover and a black Speck Smartshell. The Smartshell is a smoke black (translucent), so you can still see the Apple logo. Looks great.
Surely is offline   0 Reply With Quote

MacRumors Forums > iPhone, iPod and iPad > iPad > iPad Accessories