Go Back   MacRumors Forums > iPhone, iPod and iPad > iPhone

Old May 18, 2011, 04:56 AM   #1
HelixOmnimedia
macrumors 6502a

Stolen iPhone - Blocked IMEI, Find My iPhone - No Location

Hey,

I had my iPhone stolen from the male locker room at work, contacted 02 they have blocked the IMEI number. I have also contacted the police and the hotel management know... I also have MobileMe.

NOW: The Find My iPhone has been set up with the iPhone but when I go to track it, it says there is no location available.

Is this because the IMEI is block? Is it because the iPhone has been turned off? - anyone know the inner workingsof the Find My iPhone.

I miss my iPhone, and now hate where I've just started working (started on Saturday).
HelixOmnimedia is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old May 18, 2011, 04:58 AM   #2
AppleFanatic10
macrumors 68020

Send a message via AIM to AppleFanatic10 Send a message via Skype™ to AppleFanatic10
The iPhone has to be on for Find My iPhone to work.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
RIP Grandma 5/10/1930 - 9/24/2012
AppleFanatic10 is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old May 18, 2011, 05:01 AM   #3
miniConvert
macrumors 68040

Send a message via AIM to miniConvert Send a message via MSN to miniConvert
Send the wipe request anyway and it'll get done if the handset is ever powered back on in its current state (and gets connectivity somehow).

Sorry to hear about the theft, mine was taken recently too. I was able to locate it, once. The police didn't care.

Oh well. White iPhone 4 as my replacement, so the moronic thieves can keep my cracked black one. Muchos hatred!
Old May 18, 2011, 05:06 AM   #4
SeaChange
macrumors regular

Where do you work that your phone has to be stored in a semi-public locker? Sucks though I know. I have had 2 iPhones stolen in the past.
SeaChange is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old May 18, 2011, 07:40 AM   #5
RebeccaL
macrumors 6502a

There are people that have no morals. I once got my apartment robbed and it sucked.

And stealing iphones, people have gone so far as to even kill like in this news article:

http://www.macstories.net/news/woman...-iphone-theft/
RebeccaL is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old May 18, 2011, 09:26 AM   #6
rick snagwell
macrumors 68040

iGotYa!!
rick snagwell is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old May 18, 2011, 11:13 AM   #7
Daveoc64
macrumors 601

Quote:
Originally Posted by HelixOmnimedia View Post
Is this because the IMEI is block? Is it because the iPhone has been turned off? - anyone know the inner workingsof the Find My iPhone.
Both of those things.

Find My iPhone requires a data connection to work. O2 will have cancelled both your SIM and blocked your IMEI. Both of these things will stop your phone connecting to the mobile phone network to send data.

Your device could still connect to Wi-Fi networks, but it would need to be in range of one that it is able to connect to.

The more important factor is that it's switched off. It can't even try to connect to any sort of network when it's switched off!
Windows 8.1 | iCloud, Dropbox, Spotify Premium
Daveoc64 is offline   1 Reply With Quote
Old May 18, 2011, 11:15 AM   #8
seble
macrumors 6502a

Quote:
Hey,

I had my iPhone stolen from the male locker room at work, contacted 02 they have blocked the IMEI number. I have also contacted the police and the hotel management know... I also have MobileMe.

NOW: The Find My iPhone has been set up with the iPhone but when I go to track it, it says there is no location available.

I miss my iPhone, and now hate where I've just started working (started on Saturday).

If your IMEI is blocked, that means it won't be able to connect to the internet, via 3g, the network or whatever, meaning Mobile me won't be able to find its location and send it to you.
seble is online now   1 Reply With Quote
Old May 18, 2011, 11:16 AM   #9
Applejuiced
macrumors Nehalem

The phone needs to use data to send back its location info.
So either because the line has been deactivated and its not connected to wifi, the phone got turned off or maybe they have restored it.
Applejuiced is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old May 18, 2011, 01:19 PM   #10
awadeee
macrumors 68020

This is why I keep my phone on me at all times, even when working!
Old May 18, 2011, 01:23 PM   #11
maflynn

Quote:
Originally Posted by awadeee View Post
Some folks don't have that luxury, for instance my local bus/subway drivers are not permitted to have cell phones (too many accidents related to drivers txting)
Old May 18, 2011, 01:36 PM   #12
Hype2k2
macrumors 6502

Quote:
Originally Posted by rick snagwell View Post
iGotYa!!
Gets on my damn nerves especially when my email spammed with my mugshots
Hype2k2 is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old May 18, 2011, 10:54 PM   #13
mrbrown
macrumors 6502

Send a message via ICQ to mrbrown Send a message via AIM to mrbrown Send a message via MSN to mrbrown Send a message via Yahoo to mrbrown
Quote:

Find my iPhone will not work if the phone doesn't have a data connection. If you have blocked the phone's IMEI, it obviously doesn't have cellular data. It will, however, report it's location if there's a Wi-Fi connection (blocking the IMEI doesn't brick the phone... It just keeps it from making phone calls and accessing the cellular network).
Old May 18, 2011, 11:42 PM   #14
Applejuiced
macrumors Nehalem

Thumbs up

Quote:
Originally Posted by mrbrown View Post
Find my iPhone will not work if the phone doesn't have a data connection. If you have blocked the phone's IMEI, it obviously doesn't have cellular data. It will, however, report it's location if there's a Wi-Fi connection (blocking the IMEI doesn't brick the phone... It just keeps it from making phone calls and accessing the cellular network).
Yes, the last thing you want to do if you want to track down your iphone with findmyiphone is disable/suspend the account.
Let them use it to make calls or whatever so you can use mobileme to track it down. If the sim is deactivated you wont be able to get its location information.
Applejuiced is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old May 19, 2011, 12:06 AM   #15
cppp
macrumors newbie

just wondering, what happens if some one steals it then resets it back to factory default or restores the iphone using itunes. is it still trackable through mobileMe
cppp is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old May 19, 2011, 12:21 AM   #16
maclaptop
macrumors 65816

Quote:
That's not fool proof either.

I'm extremely mindful of mine, its on me at all times.

Sitting in Starbucks with friends, my phone face down on the table within inches of my hand since I was expecting a call, a guy casually approached from behind me, quickly grabbed it and ran out. Disappearing in the crowd outside, none of the four of us could see where he went. I called the carrier & had the line shut down. Even though it was password protected, I got out my laptop and used MobileMe to wipe it.

It just goes to show, you can't protect your phone from being stolen by a determined thief. But you can keep your data from being compromised.
maclaptop is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old May 19, 2011, 02:16 AM   #17
tigress666
macrumors 68040

Quote:
I am too paranoid of it dropping out of my pocket or getting banged up a lot to do that. We have lockers and mine is locked into my locker. And technically my company says we are not allowed to have our cellphone out on the floor.

We do have issues with thieves occasionally stealing something from our breakroom but it is always stuff that is not locked up. Then again, I work retail so the thieves probably aren't expecting your average retail worker to have much of value to try to do anything more than just search the easily gotten stuff (Plus the break room stays busy enough that people are in there a decent amount of time).
Old May 19, 2011, 08:00 AM   #18
Applejuiced
macrumors Nehalem

Quote:
Originally Posted by cppp View Post
just wondering, what happens if some one steals it then resets it back to factory default or restores the iphone using itunes. is it still trackable through mobileMe
No.
If it's restored then you're sol.
Applejuiced is offline   2 Reply With Quote

MacRumors Forums > iPhone, iPod and iPad > iPhone