Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

Munyak

macrumors member
Original poster
Apr 7, 2011
Houston, TX
Sorry for posting a new thread when I only have a few posts to my name already...

...and forgive me if this has been asked before (I looked and couldn't find anything, maybe I was just searching for the wrong keywords.). I purchased Mad Men seasons 1 & 2 from iTunes earlier this year. They are taking a pretty big amount of hard drive space because it is the HD and SD versions of the video files.

I was wondering if I copied them to my external hard drive and then deleted the files from my computer if they would work properly in iTunes later on if I tried to re-watch them. I understand that the video files have DRM on them but I don't really understand DRM itself. I have already copied the files but I'm afraid to delete them from iTunes just in case they don't work. I would be out a lot of money on these two seasons. Any answers or help would be GREATLY appreciated!

AdrianK

macrumors 68020
Feb 19, 2011
Yes, they would work just fine :)

When items encoded with DRM are played in iTunes, it checks whether the account your computer is authorised with is the same as the account which purchased the content. You can authorise up to 5 computers in your home, and the content will play on any one of them.

Though you will have to play them in iTunes, or on an iDevice, VLC, MPlayer or any other desktop media player will not work.

Munyak

macrumors member
Original poster
Apr 7, 2011
Houston, TX
Yes, they would work just fine :)

When items encoded with DRM are played in iTunes, it checks whether the account your computer is authorised with is the same as the account which purchased the content. You can authorise up to 5 computers in your home, and the content will play on any one of them.

Though you will have to play them in iTunes, or on an iDevice, VLC, MPlayer or any other desktop media player will not work.

Thank you!!!

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.