Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

jayeskreezy

macrumors 65816
Original poster
Mar 3, 2005
I have GarageBand on my iPad 2 and would like to record vocals. I already have a nice USB mic so I wasn't really interested in purchasing an irig mic. Is there any other way to record vocals using GarageBand on my iPad?

ghostlyorb

macrumors 6502a
Jan 9, 2010
Virginia, USA
I have GarageBand on my iPad 2 and would like to record vocals. I already have a nice USB mic so I wasn't really interested in purchasing an irig mic. Is there any other way to record vocals using GarageBand on my iPad?

If you already have a mic setup.. why ask the question? The built in mic works pretty good too, but not the best for recording. I operate sound systems but I'm not an expert on mics, so don't take my word for it... but I think that your mic now would be enough. You can only record one person singing at a time anyway.. you can't record 5 singers on 5 mics at a time...

jayeskreezy

macrumors 65816
Original poster
Mar 3, 2005
If you already have a mic setup.. why ask the question? The built in mic works pretty good too, but not the best for recording. I operate sound systems but I'm not an expert on mics, so don't take my word for it... but I think that your mic now would be enough. You can only record one person singing at a time anyway.. you can't record 5 singers on 5 mics at a time...

I ask the question because I can't plug my mic directly into my iPad. There's no USB port on an iPad. Is there a way to do this? I'm new to the iPad world. Be easy.

BrennerM

macrumors regular
Jun 17, 2010
Kitchener, Ontario, Canada
Purchase the Camera Connection Kit from Apple and you will get two adapters which plug into the docking port. One allows you to use SD cards from cameras, and the other is a USB port which allows you to use some devices. Some (perhaps all) USB mics will work with this port.

thekb

macrumors 6502a
May 8, 2010
I ask the question because I can't plug my mic directly into my iPad. There's no USB port on an iPad. Is there a way to do this? I'm new to the iPad world. Be easy.

The camera connection kit adds a USB port to the iPad. I don't know if a mic would be compatible with it though. The kit has two connectors -- one USB and one SD card slot. They run about $30 I think.

Tarzanman

macrumors 65816
Jul 16, 2010
If you knew very much about recording at all, then you would realize why recording vocals on an iPad is a bad idea if you want good quality.

I don't think a condenser microphone is going to work on an iPad. Use a full on computer with decent aftermarket sound hardware.

BlindMellon

macrumors 65816
Apr 4, 2011
I write on Garage band as well, but I'm very skeptical about getting good results mic'ing anything on an iPad. (I've spent decades trying to perfect the process on the PC)

Depends what the end result needed is, though. Might as well give it a shot.

bunger

macrumors 6502
Mar 1, 2007

The camera connection kit is currently your only option if you want to keep your existing mic.

I would pick up the camera connection kit from Best Buy for about $30 and try it. If it works, great! If it doesn't, return it and you aren't out anything.

Lmedina

macrumors newbie
May 18, 2011
As an audio engineer, I can tell you that you wont get anything decent from either option. At best it will be a scratch track. Save your money and use the internal mic.

jayeskreezy

macrumors 65816
Original poster
Mar 3, 2005
If you knew very much about recording at all, then you would realize why recording vocals on an iPad is a bad idea if you want good quality.

I don't think a condenser microphone is going to work on an iPad. Use a full on computer with decent aftermarket sound hardware.

There's always one of these in every thread huh? I'm not an audio engineer, but I know a decent amount about recording. I do most of my recording via Logic Pro and I have an AT2035 mic at home, but I prefer to actually go to a studio anyway.

I was asking because it's not always the most convenient thing to hit the studio when you're on the road and/or just creating a song and need to get your thoughts down. I'm not trying to win a grammy via my ipad, but I know that importing Garageband files is basically seamless with Logic Pro.

Thank you to everyone who was actually helpful in this thread. I'll look into the camera connection kit and investigate which mic works best. I really appreciate it!

syclick

macrumors regular
Jan 19, 2009
As an audio engineer, I can tell you that you wont get anything decent from either option. At best it will be a scratch track. Save your money and use the internal mic.
I respectfully disagree. There are quite a few USB microphones that work with the Camera Connect Kit, and depending on the mic, the results are suprisingly good.

Sure, the AT2020 USB is no U87... But then, if you're using a mic that impressive, something tells me you aren't using an iPad to record.

suniil

macrumors member
Sep 2, 2008
Blue yeti USB mic work with iPad, but you may need a tiny belkin USB hub to absorb initial surge in voltage.

If you are after small form factor / portability, wait for the release of Apogee mic for iphone / ipad.

Huge125

macrumors member
Jun 16, 2011
Charlotte, NC

Looks like about a year has gone by since this thread was posted so I'd like to kick it up again. IK multimedia is coming out with a dongle to connect a condenser mic (or other xlr mic)to to iPad via headphone jack. Of course this won't be as good as a high-endl pc or studio setup, but what's the limiting factor from an engineering perspective that is going to reduce sound quality when recording on iPad? Bit rate?

Looking for a quick and mobile recording method. IRig-pre is the device to connect your mic and it's around 40 bucks. Wonder if it will be a step up from the internal mic or if there will even be a noticeable difference.

catherine todd

macrumors newbie
Jul 30, 2012
Wondering if there's been an update to recording vocals on an iPad? I'm just starting out with the iPad and need to record acoustic piano and vocals. Any ideas?

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.