Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

Blaqbetteh

macrumors newbie
Original poster
May 18, 2011
Hey guys! I just joined the forum after lurking around for a couple of weeks :rolleyes:

So I'm finally getting myself a Macbook Pro in a couple of weeks :D:D:D:D:D

I can't wait, I've been wanting one for about 10 months now, and even more when they updated them with Sandybridge. Anyway,

I'm looking for an audio interface with atleast 3 inputs, it can be more (I don't mind as long as the price isn't above my budget) but not less. I'd like it to be USB 2.0. It can be a USB mixer or an audio interface, anything that will work well with my new Mac and Garageband or Logic. I'll be hooking up a guitar, a keyboard and a microphone to this (just incase anyone wants to know)

My budget is like £90 which is uhh *googles* £90 = US$145.38 US$ so let's round that up to $150. :p

Thanks guys! All help is much appreciated. ;)

ChrisA

macrumors G5
Jan 5, 2006
Redondo Beach, California

That does not have enough inputs. The keyboard is stereo and takes up two channels. The guitar and mic each take up a channel. So you need four total. The above has only two.

You are going to have to spend more. I'd at least double your budget.

Also be sure to verify that the mic input has 48 volt "phantom power". You will need that to run a condensor vocal mic.

How will the guitar sound get input. Is it electric and plugs in direct and yu'll be using a modeled amp. Or will you mic a speaker cab or what? Make sure you have the corect input for the method you like. But I'd also make sure you don't box yourself in. Figure you might som e want to do it different or even mic an acoustic guiter.

I think you need to be looking at this class of interface. That box you picked out just is not going to do what you want.
http://www.presonus.com/products/Detail.aspx?ProductId=58

Last edited:

Blaqbetteh

macrumors newbie
Original poster
May 18, 2011
I think you need to be looking at this class of interface. That box you picked out just is not going to do what you want.
http://www.presonus.com/products/Detail.aspx?ProductId=58

Holy.. :eek: That is a hell of a nice interface. :eek::eek::eek::eek::eek::eek::eek:

I have an electric guitar that I will plug straight into the interface to be used with Guitar Rig or Garageband amp modeling. The keyboard has a stereo 1/4" single jack going into the audio interface. I'm not so sure about the mic, but I highly highly doubt I would be using one, this is why I didn't want to spend so much money. :confused: I would also be using an electro acoustic guitar but that has the same output as the electric (duh) and it will also be used with amp modeling..

That is an amazing interface, it has everything I could ever ask for. I would really love that. I just don't see what I could ever use all those inputs for.. maybe my fathers drum machine.. hmm. I'll leave that as my first choice! But if I don't have the money, what could I get with like, 3 1/4" inputs?

ChrisA

macrumors G5
Jan 5, 2006
Redondo Beach, California
...But if I don't have the money, what could I get with like, 3 1/4" inputs?

You wrote
I'll be hooking up a guitar, a keyboard and a microphone to this (just incase anyone wants to know)

If the keyboard is stereo then I count FOUR channels not three.

If the Microphone is used for vocals it needs to be a condensor mic that that will require 48V phatom power and you'd hope a good built-in preamp.

Maybe change you requirements and leave off something. but as stated you will need four

juxtaposer

macrumors regular
Oct 10, 2007
In A Field
If you want the possibility to record an impromptu jam including that guitar, keyboard and vocals then youre going to need to go for at least 4 inputs. Also take into account the quality of the pre-amps - Presonus, Focusrite and Apogee all make excellent pre-amps so are well worth a look.
Again as others have mentioned, if you plan on recording vocals with a condenser mic you will need 48v phantom power.
For about £90, you're probably looking at an Edirol (Rolands cheaper sister) USB interface with 2 inputs unless you keep an eye on eBay. I bought a Presonus Firepod 8 input firewire interface for about £150 around 12 months ago and I think that's the average price for a used model.
Hope that helps :)

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.