Register FAQ / Rules Forum Spy Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read
Go Back   MacRumors Forums > Apple Hardware > Apple TV and Home Theater

Old May 18, 2011, 02:30 PM   #1
LastLine
macrumors 65816

iOmega iConnect iTunes Server to AppleTV

Hey all, just bought one of these.

http://www.smallnetbuilder.com/nas/n...ation-reviewed

Great little product and love it to pieces already - but does anyone know if an iTunes Server (note, not iTunes, just iTunes server on a Hard drive) will serve to an AppleTV? When I go to AppleTV to add a new shared library it notes to ask for a code which obviously I can't provide given there's no UI to do that, am I to stick to having to boot a computer up or is there something simple I'm missing...I can always stream to my PS3 ;-)
LastLine is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old May 18, 2011, 02:43 PM   #2
roidy
macrumors 6502a

No NAS iTunes server will works with the ATV, only a full version of iTunes running on a computer will connect to an ATV.
roidy is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old May 18, 2011, 02:47 PM   #3
LastLine
macrumors 65816

Fair answer and much what I suspected. Seems a shame, I know it'd never work for protected content, I can't see that being licensed out even these days, but it would've been nice
LastLine is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Jun 8, 2011, 11:36 AM   #4
vostod
macrumors newbie

iomega iconnect

I bought one of these with the same idea. You can have the iconnect scan for media on an attached and it will share it on the network to itunes & then you can stream it out to the appleTV from itunes on your computer.

Unfortunately, you can't stream directly as I hoped - the appleTV only speaks homesharing, so it wont read the iconnect as a homesharing library.

What I did was to jailbreak my appleTV and install Firecore's aTV Flash (http://firecore.com/) which has xbox media server on it. You can stream directly from any share using XBMC.
vostod is offline   0 Reply With Quote

MacRumors Forums > Apple Hardware > Apple TV and Home Theater

Tags
appletv, iconnect, iomega