Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

xStatiCa

macrumors regular
Original poster
Oct 7, 2009
I just got the case today... I will give impressions tomorrow after I get a chance to use it. I was wondering how bulky it would be but it seems ok to me. I like that the thickness near the smartcase hinge sticks out a littler more than the hinge so it might protect it better than slimmer cases in that area.

The weight is based on my cheap shipping scale but it should be close enough to give a comparison.
iPad2 by itself is 1 lb 5.5 ounces.
iPad2 with yoobao real leather folio case is 1 lb 11.5 ounces.
iPad2 with apple smart case is 1 lb 10 ounces.
iPad2 with Tucano CORNICE is 1 lb 11.5 ounces.
iPad2 with apple smart case and Belkin Snap Shield is 1 lb 12.5 ounces
iPad2 with apple smart case and Tucano MAGICO is 1 lb 12.5 ounces
iPad2 with Melkco Slimme Leather case is 1 lb 14 ounces.
iPad2 with apple smart case and griff case is 1 lb 14.5 ounces.

Attachments

• IMG_0294.jpg
    IMG_0294.jpg
    94.4 KB · Views: 216
  • IMG_0296.jpg
    IMG_0296.jpg
    78.7 KB · Views: 172
  • IMG_0298.jpg
    IMG_0298.jpg
    79.9 KB · Views: 171
  • IMG_0299.jpg
    IMG_0299.jpg
    78.1 KB · Views: 163
  • IMG_0300.jpg
    IMG_0300.jpg
    100 KB · Views: 167
Last edited:

Calvi

macrumors newbie
May 19, 2011
I am looking at these 2 options very closely myself.

I have the SC and am tossing up between a back cover or a Yoobao or similar.

Can you give you opinion on which you prefer and why?

xStatiCa

macrumors regular
Original poster
Oct 7, 2009
It is a beautiful case and works well. The grill really makes it stand out from other cases when upside down and visible. I really liked that the leather goes all the way around the corners. Other leather snap cases transition to a plastic material at the edge.

It was just a little too bulky for my taste so I did return it. If it were thinner I would have kept it. For someone that wants a real leather snap case that worksnwith he apple smart cover that provides more protection it should definitely be one to look at. With the bulk comes extra protection especially since the speaker has a grill over it and the thickness to help protect the apple smart case hinge.

For me I personally like the yoobao 3 in 1 real leather case, the belkin snap shield with apple smart case, and melkco slimme vintage leather cases the best.

laurenr

macrumors 6502a
Jan 9, 2008
California
It is a beautiful case and works well. The grill really makes it stand out from other cases when upside down and visible. I really liked that the leather goes all the way around the corners. Other leather snap cases transition to a plastic material at the edge.

It was just a little too bulky for my taste so I did return it. If it were thinner I would have kept it. For someone that wants a real leather snap case that worksnwith he apple smart cover that provides more protection it should definitely be one to look at. With the bulk comes extra protection especially since the speaker has a grill over it and the thickness to help protect the apple smart case hinge.

For me I personally like the yoobao 3 in 1 real leather case, the belkin snap shield with apple smart case, and melkco slimme vintage leather cases the best.

You have just stated exactly my thoughts. No matter how well designed/beautiful the case, the slimness of the form is a top priority for me with the iPad 2. I have the Yoobao v 1 case, but recently came across their new design that is mentioned here:
https://forums.macrumors.com/threads/1160570/

spangenberg

macrumors member
Mar 11, 2011
This is exactly what i have been looking for.
I wanted a nice leather back for the ipad, but not a cover. I hate the smart cover and every other cover that "flips" open like a book. Any sort of flip or fold back case is not for me. I'm torn between this one or the vaja ivolution top.

Was it really that bulky? What did you go back to?

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.