Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

ShockTroop

macrumors member
Original poster
Nov 6, 2007
So I just got me new iMac (might I say it is awesome!). It's the 27' model with 2GB VRAM. I partitioned 50GB for Windows 7. Went through the install process and at the stage that I enter my username Windows gets ready to start then shuts down. When I restart in bootcamp, all I get is a black screen with a blink bar at the top left. Mac side works fine, but the windows side won't load. Even when I put the disk in it will bring up "press any key........" and it gets stuck on that as well.

Any ideas?

wrldwzrd89

macrumors G5
Jun 6, 2003
Solon, OH
Did you install the various post-release updates for that iMac first? I have an iMac very similar to yours, just with 1GB of VRAM instead of 2GB. There are a bunch; Mac OS X 10.6.7 Update for iMac (early 2011) is the most important.

ShockTroop

macrumors member
Original poster
Nov 6, 2007
Did you install the various post-release updates for that iMac first? I have an iMac very similar to yours, just with 1GB of VRAM instead of 2GB. There are a bunch; Mac OS X 10.6.7 Update for iMac (early 2011) is the most important.

Yes.

Also my bootcamp partition is labeled Untitled.

ShockTroop

macrumors member
Original poster
Nov 6, 2007
Found this:

"Fixed! And FYI it wasn't a pirated copy - just OEM one, which Bootcamp advise against using... they advise to use retail only. Fixed like this:

1. Put the Windows 7 installation disc in the disc drive, and then start your computer.
2. Hold down Option key till all available disks are displayed and select DVD. Press a key when you are prompted.
3. Select a language, a time, a currency, a keyboard or an input method, and then 4. click Next.
5. Click Repair your computer.
6. Click the operating system that you want to repair, and then click Next.
7.In the System Recovery Options dialog box, click Command Prompt.

Type (these commands are safe)
Code: Bootrec.exe /FixMbr
Code: Bootrec.exe /FixBoot
Code: Bootrec.exe /RebuildBcd
*Press ENTER after each command.*
*Restart your computer.*"

Will try after work today.......fingers crossed....

ShockTroop

macrumors member
Original poster
Nov 6, 2007
Found this:

"Fixed! And FYI it wasn't a pirated copy - just OEM one, which Bootcamp advise against using... they advise to use retail only. Fixed like this:

1. Put the Windows 7 installation disc in the disc drive, and then start your computer.
2. Hold down Option key till all available disks are displayed and select DVD. Press a key when you are prompted.
3. Select a language, a time, a currency, a keyboard or an input method, and then 4. click Next.
5. Click Repair your computer.
6. Click the operating system that you want to repair, and then click Next.
7.In the System Recovery Options dialog box, click Command Prompt.

Type (these commands are safe)
Code: Bootrec.exe /FixMbr
Code: Bootrec.exe /FixBoot
Code: Bootrec.exe /RebuildBcd
*Press ENTER after each command.*
*Restart your computer.*"

Will try after work today.......fingers crossed....

This fixed my problem......

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.