Register FAQ / Rules Forum Spy Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read
Go Back   MacRumors Forums > Apple Systems and Services > OS X > Mac OS X 10.7 Lion

Old May 19, 2011, 12:55 AM   #1
boilingpoint
macrumors member

Question About samba sharing

Hello, everyone.

I have noticed that Mac OS X 10.7 Lion does not use samba but Apple's own implementation, SMBX. Here is the article.

I have been using custom sharing by configuring /etc/smb.conf in earlier Mac OS X. But I cannot find any user-configurable file for this custom sharing in 10.7 Lion.

Is there a method for this purpose in Mac OS X 10.7 Lion?
Thank you in advance.
boilingpoint is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old May 19, 2011, 09:57 AM   #2
mrapplegate
macrumors 68030

Quote:
Originally Posted by boilingpoint View Post
Hello, everyone.

I have noticed that Mac OS X 10.7 Lion does not use samba but Apple's own implementation, SMBX. Here is the article.

I have been using custom sharing by configuring /etc/smb.conf in earlier Mac OS X. But I cannot find any user-configurable file for this custom sharing in 10.7 Lion.

Is there a method for this purpose in Mac OS X 10.7 Lion?
Thank you in advance.
According to the article you linked to, yes the reason they switched is......
"However, the Samba team has moved active development of the project to the more strict GPLv3 license, which prevents Apple from realistically using the software commercially."

Sorry, you meant you are looking for an equivalent smb.conf in Lion. I'm not sure, but I'll look.

Last edited by mrapplegate; May 19, 2011 at 09:59 AM. Reason: I'm an idiot
mrapplegate is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old May 19, 2011, 10:05 AM   #3
mrapplegate
macrumors 68030

Looks like any sharing and AFP and SMB settings are done all from the server app.
You might want to post in the Server section of the Apple Dev forum to get a better answer if you can't fine tune your settings from the server app.
mrapplegate is offline   0 Reply With Quote

MacRumors Forums > Apple Systems and Services > OS X > Mac OS X 10.7 Lion