Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

joshaube

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Oct 5, 2007
Hello, I've just been using the AppleTV 2 preset in Handbrake without altering much. On occasion, I throw in another AAC 160kbps audio track when there is a specific audio commentary I'd like to include. On poor quality titles I bump the RF around 19.50-19.

On several titles (The Gift, Teeth, The Brown Bunny, Mister Lonely...) the encodes average 1.4GBs and are of excellent quality. Played on an ATV 2, they look just as good as the original DVD.

However, I've come across some titles lately that look absolutely horrible. Murder Party, Dear Wendy, Fido, A Dirty Shame...

Now, I have noticed that Murder Party and Dear Wendy in particular have heavy interlacing problems, as seen when I play the file (the raw .VOB) in VLC with deinterlacing disabled. A Dirty Shame & Fido seem to have some in the opening scenes, but is fine for the remainder.

So I played with Handbrake using the Live Preview setting and went through each, selecting Decomb, Detelecine and Deinterlace... encoding a short scene for each, the only one that seemed suitable was Deinterlace on the FAST setting.

The files seemed okay, not great... A Dirty Shame and Fido looked passable, but the quality was a much lower than my previous encodes. Dear Wendy had horrible ghosting, and Murder Party had smudging (dark parts smeared into the lighter parts during movement) when played back on the ATV 2.

I got so frustrated that I deleted all of my m4v/handbrake-encoded files and just starting ripped straight off the disc using MakeMKV. But then I can't play them on a legitimate ATV 2...

What am I doing wrong? Are some DVD sources (interlaced titles) just DOOMED to look awful?

PS. I used MediaInfo and they were all labeled INTERLACED.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.