Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

karlth

macrumors regular
Original poster
Apr 13, 2010
I'm currently developing apps on a Mac Mini and the only problem with that platform, apart from portability, is the fact that the device Simulator runs extremely slowly when executing retina or iPad apps. The reason is because the graphics renderer is software only.

What about the newest MBP. Is it able to run the simulator at full device speed?

xxBURT0Nxx

macrumors 68020
Jul 9, 2009
I'm currently developing apps on a Mac Mini and the only problem with that platform, apart from portability, is the fact that the device Simulator runs extremely slowly when executing retina or iPad apps. The reason is because the graphics renderer is software only.

What about the newest MBP. Is it able to run the simulator at full device speed?
which MBP? They all have different graphics cards.

dmw16

macrumors regular
May 14, 2011

It seems like it's actually a CPU horsepower question because (I think) the emulator is software only so the GPU makes no difference.

Which Mac Mini are you running on and which MBP are you looking at? Either way, a MBP with an i5 or i7 should be well better than a Mac Mini.

xxBURT0Nxx

macrumors 68020
Jul 9, 2009
It seems like it's actually a CPU horsepower question because (I think) the emulator is software only so the GPU makes no difference.
oh, in that case i'm sure they all would be better than the aging c2d processor in the mac mini! :D

dagamer34

macrumors 65816
May 1, 2007
Houston, TX
There's no explicit GPU hardware acceleration of the iPhone simulator apart from the normal Mac OS X stuff. Especially for games, Apple recommends testing with real hardware.

karlth

macrumors regular
Original poster
Apr 13, 2010

Anyone. I think this is a CPU issue probably as it is a software renderer. I have a 2007 Mac Mini with a Intel Core 2 Duo 2.0GHz processor and it runs a game that runs at 60fps on a device at only 8fps on the simulator. :eek:

karlth

macrumors regular
Original poster
Apr 13, 2010
There's no explicit GPU hardware acceleration of the iPhone simulator apart from the normal Mac OS X stuff. Especially for games, Apple recommends testing with real hardware.

Yes but some things are better done on the simulator including logging and gameplay video creation.

xxBURT0Nxx

macrumors 68020
Jul 9, 2009
Anyone. I think this is a CPU issue probably as it is a software renderer. I have a 2007 Mac Mini with a Intel Core 2 Duo 2.0GHz processor and it runs a game that runs at 60fps on a device at only 8fps on the simulator. :eek:
My question is why not just go buy an ipod touch? a lot cheaper than a new computer and easier to test than through iOS software emulation on osx.

-edit- oh i see

well if it's based on cpu, yes the new mbp's will blow the old mac mini out of the water.

dagamer34

macrumors 65816
May 1, 2007
Houston, TX
Yes but some things are better done on the simulator including logging and gameplay video creation.

Quite true, though maybe with the Apple Digital AV Adapter and an HDMI capture card, one can get better results (certainly a lot easier than trying to play a game with a mouse).

karlth

macrumors regular
Original poster
Apr 13, 2010
well if it's based on cpu, yes the new mbp's will blow the old mac mini out of the water.

I don't doubt that it will be faster but can it manage running the simulator at full speed?

If the 2007 mac mini can run the simulator (ipad) at only 15% of the device's speed then it is of little help if MBP can run at 50% (30fps).

This is probably a question only an xcode iOS developer running his environment on a MBP would be able to answer.

karlth

macrumors regular
Original poster
Apr 13, 2010
Quite true, though maybe with the Apple Digital AV Adapter and an HDMI capture card, one can get better results (certainly a lot easier than trying to play a game with a mouse).

You mean capturing the game directly from the iPad/iPhone4? Is that possible?

I had no idea. :confused:

dacapo

macrumors 6502
Jan 25, 2010
Yes but some things are better done on the simulator including logging....

I haven't done any apps requiring 60fps myself, but I do know that you can get the same logging by running & debugging with the device attached to the Mac. Like someone else said, you'll do best to get the cheapest iPod touch you can, since eventually you should test on the real device before submitting to the App Store to make sure everything works okay.

firewood

macrumors G3
Jul 29, 2003
Silicon Valley

The slowest MBP will run CPU software and Quartz graphics much faster than the newest iPad 2.

However the fastest MBP will emulate iOS Open GL much slower than the speed that an iPad 1 can run Open GL.

So YMMV.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.