Go Back   MacRumors Forums > Apple Hardware > Notebooks > MacBook Pro

Old May 19, 2011, 03:25 PM   #1
piatti
macrumors 6502a

How do you make all Word documents to open in NeoOffice?

My Word keeps not responding (together with other Microsoft apps like Powerpoint)

Perhaps it's because they are heavy apps and I don't have enough space in my computer?

edit: is there any disadvantage as to using NeoOffice? Is there Mac version for Powerpoints too?

Last edited by piatti; May 19, 2011 at 03:52 PM.
piatti is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old May 19, 2011, 03:28 PM   #2
miles01110
macrumors 604

Sounds more like a corrupted install to me.

To get your Word .docx files to open in NeoOffice, highlight one, "Get Info" (Command I), go down to the "Open With" and find NeoOffice, then click "Apply to All."
Old May 19, 2011, 03:30 PM   #3
GGJstudios
macrumors Westmere

Quote:
Originally Posted by piatti View Post
How do you make all Word documents to open in NeoOffice?
  1. Right-click on a file of that type in Finder.
  2. Select "Get Info"
  3. Select your preferred app under "Open with"
  4. Click "Change All"
  5. Done.
Quote:
My Word keeps not responding (together with other Microsoft apps like Powerpoint)

Perhaps it's because they are heavy apps and I don't have enough space in my computer?
Could be corrupted fonts, other processes using system resources, a problem with MS Office installation, etc. You can either give up and use NeoOffice, or diagnose and correct the problem.
GGJstudios is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old May 19, 2011, 03:34 PM   #4
simsaladimbamba

Quote:

If you mean "free hard drive capacity" with "enough space", then how much free HDD capacity do you have?

Btw, "memory" is not the same as "hard drive capacity":
What is Computer Memory? RAM vs Hard Drive
RAM vs. Hard Disk
How to change the default application a certain file type opens with
simsaladimbamba is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old May 19, 2011, 03:51 PM   #5
piatti
macrumors 6502a

Quote:
Originally Posted by simsaladimbamba View Post
If you mean "free hard drive capacity" with "enough space", then how much free HDD capacity do you have?

Btw, "memory" is not the same as "hard drive capacity":
What is Computer Memory? RAM vs Hard Drive
RAM vs. Hard Disk
How to change the default application a certain file type opens with
When I open my Finder it says 7.11 GB available.
I've been meaning to move all the movies to external hard drive.. but then should I move the whole iPhoto app with its movies and pic to external Hard drive? I'm afraid the EHD might fail on me someday and I would lose all those movies that I took with my iPhone.

It would be so much better if I could all upload it to YouTube in private mode, automatically, as well as move embed it to a private blogspot blog, but I don't have the programming knowledge to do that. Will somebody show develop the programming and show how it's done?
Old May 19, 2011, 04:02 PM   #6
snaky69
macrumors 601

Quote:
When I open my Finder it says 7.11 GB available.
I've been meaning to move all the movies to external hard drive.. but then should I move the whole iPhoto app with its movies and pic to external Hard drive? I'm afraid the EHD might fail on me someday and I would lose all those movies that I took with my iPhone.

It would be so much better if I could all upload it to YouTube in private mode, automatically, as well as move embed it to a private blogspot blog, but I don't have the programming knowledge to do that. Will somebody show develop the programming and show how it's done?
All hard drives fail in time, your external will eventually fail, and so will your MacbookPro's, why not keep a copy on both so that when one fails, all is not lost?
snaky69 is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old May 19, 2011, 05:40 PM   #7
piatti
macrumors 6502a

Quote:
Originally Posted by snaky69 View Post
All hard drives fail in time, your external will eventually fail, and so will your MacbookPro's, why not keep a copy on both so that when one fails, all is not lost?
I would like to make a lot of videos and audio files, and it wouldn't fit in the MacBook Pro.
Old May 19, 2011, 06:21 PM   #8
ZMacintosh
macrumors 6502a

or save up and invest in iWork. Much easier to manage than Office it seems. seems like you may need a more user friendly solution.
ZMacintosh is offline   0 Reply With Quote

MacRumors Forums > Apple Hardware > Notebooks > MacBook Pro