Register FAQ / Rules Forum Spy Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read
Go Back   MacRumors Forums > Apple Systems and Services > Programming > Mac Programming

Old May 19, 2011, 05:07 PM   #1
larswik
macrumors 65816

My Last Pascal Class and Final Test

Monday I had my final test in my Pascal class and got an over all C grade in the class which I am happy with. I am very happy with the help I got here from you folks and that I took the class. I would have gotten a better grade but I lost my book 5 weeks ago and the replacement book was the wrong one so it took a few weeks to get it back. By that time I was kind of lost in the Multi Dimensional Arrays and Records (Data Structures). I still think I could have learned more from that class but I am happy.

I signed up for the Java class for the fall season to get an introduction to object oriented programming. But this summer I want to start with Objective-C and I was thinking one of these 2 books

1. Learn Objective-C on the Mac
or
2. Cocoa Programming for the Mac (Hillegass)

I read Learn C on the Mac end of last year so it is a natural step to the second book. But I also want to get some Cocoa under my belt.

Which is best do you think?

Thanks again for all your help!

-Lars
larswik is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old May 19, 2011, 06:47 PM   #2
chrono1081
macrumors 604

Quote:
Originally Posted by larswik View Post
Monday I had my final test in my Pascal class and got an over all C grade in the class which I am happy with. I am very happy with the help I got here from you folks and that I took the class. I would have gotten a better grade but I lost my book 5 weeks ago and the replacement book was the wrong one so it took a few weeks to get it back. By that time I was kind of lost in the Multi Dimensional Arrays and Records (Data Structures). I still think I could have learned more from that class but I am happy.

I signed up for the Java class for the fall season to get an introduction to object oriented programming. But this summer I want to start with Objective-C and I was thinking one of these 2 books

1. Learn Objective-C on the Mac
or
2. Cocoa Programming for the Mac (Hillegass)

I read Learn C on the Mac end of last year so it is a natural step to the second book. But I also want to get some Cocoa under my belt.

Which is best do you think?

Thanks again for all your help!

-Lars
Start with Objective-C first. Learn Objective-C on the Mac is decent but I like Steve Kochans book better. Cocoa Programming is a hard book, as is any Big Nerd Ranch book (although excellent). You will want to get good at Objective-C before you touch Cocoa.
Old May 19, 2011, 07:24 PM   #3
balamw

Quote:
Originally Posted by chrono1081 View Post
Start with Objective-C first. Learn Objective-C on the Mac is decent but I like Steve Kochans book better. Cocoa Programming is a hard book, as is any Big Nerd Ranch book (although excellent). You will want to get good at Objective-C before you touch Cocoa.
I agree with chrono1081, even though you tried Kochan before, it may make more sense to you now why he approaches things in the way he does.

I haven't been through the whole book, but from what I have seen "Learn Obective C 2.0 on the Mac" presents much less material in a more superficial way than Kochan. You could certainly try that and then come back to Kochan after "Learn Obj. C."

I would only recommend Hillegass once you can master the first part of Kochan.

B
Old May 19, 2011, 07:31 PM   #4
smithrh
macrumors 68000

I am somewhat distressed to hear the Pascal is still taught, much less in existence.

Hopefully things are better now, but Pascal managed to give me something like 10,000 warnings/errors on a single typo in a 20-line program. A very harsh mistress indeed with few redeeming qualities.
smithrh is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old May 19, 2011, 10:55 PM   #5
larswik
macrumors 65816

One of the things I liked about the Learn C on the Mac was it was straight forward and fun to read. I years ago I try to start with Kochan book and I found it long, wordy and really dry. When I got to Self and Pointer's I put the book down.

The Pascal class was great. Instead of learning at my own pace it gave me structure and pushed me every week. I am surprised that it is so obsolete and frowned upon. Turbo Pascal is an object oriented language and it seemed to very close to C with different syntax. I remember reading about Functions in C but Pascal had Functions and Procedures you could use. Data Structures, MD arrays. If someone could tell me the big difference from C to Pascal that would be great.

You guys talked me into it. I will start with the Learn Objective-C on Mac book. Like Balamw said, things might make more sence to me now after reading the C book and taking the Pascal class. Plus, if I get lost I got you guys!!!

-Lars
Old May 20, 2011, 03:01 AM   #6
jiminaus
macrumors 65816

There's also Learn Cocoa on the Mac (2nd ed) if you like this series. You might want to consider it before Hillegass and/or Kochan.

Note that Learn Objective-C on the Mac only covers Objective-C 1.0. You'll miss out on learning about garbage collection, properties and fast enumeration, which were all introduced in Objective-C 2.0 with Mac OS X 10.5. But you'll pick those up pretty quickly, I think.
jiminaus is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old May 20, 2011, 02:41 PM   #7
larswik
macrumors 65816

I did not now that it only covered OB-C 1.0, thanks. I started the book last night but maybe I will look around. I know that I do not want the Kochan book.The beautiful thing about the Apress Learn C book was it was short and to the point. This made it easier to learn in less time since I also work a 9 to 5 job.

Thanks for the suggestion.

-Lars
Old May 21, 2011, 02:50 PM   #8
dasein
macrumors member

Quote:
Originally Posted by chrono1081 View Post
Kochan's current edition is getting out of sync with upgrades in the SDK. He's got a newer third edition due out around June or July.. same name I think. It is a good text and he has a website/forum as well.
dasein is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old May 21, 2011, 03:16 PM   #9
balamw

Quote:
Originally Posted by dasein View Post
Kochan's current edition is getting out of sync with upgrades in the SDK. He's got a newer third edition due out around June or July.. same name I think. It is a good text and he has a website/forum as well.
End of June. He was just by recently visiting this other thread about the 3rd ed. http://forums.macrumors.com/showthread.php?t=1074453

B
Old May 21, 2011, 07:13 PM   #10
certsoft
macrumors member

Quote:
Originally Posted by smithrh View Post
Hopefully things are better now, but Pascal managed to give me something like 10,000 warnings/errors on a single typo in a 20-line program. A very harsh mistress indeed with few redeeming qualities.
That's a function of the compiler, not the language. Pascal and C provide the same utility, C is just Pascal's retarded cousin.
certsoft is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old May 21, 2011, 08:21 PM   #11
Sydde
macrumors 68000

Quote:
Originally Posted by certsoft View Post
... C is just Pascal's retarded cousin.
I think you are confusing Developmental Disability with Asperger Syndrome. Autistic people may be a challenge to train, but once you do, they are usually far better at a specific task than normies.

MacRumors Forums > Apple Systems and Services > Programming > Mac Programming