Register FAQ / Rules Forum Spy Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read
Go Back   MacRumors Forums > Apple Applications > Mac Applications and Mac App Store

Old May 20, 2011, 05:08 AM   #1
soundbase
macrumors newbie

Best Data Recovery software

I accidentally deleted the wrong External Hard Drive on my Mac.

I had an external Hard drive with 3 partitions. It had a partition with a disk image of the 10.5 install disc, a partition with the 10.6 install disc, and then a data drive with data in. I accidentally erased the drive with disk utility and created 3 new partitions of different sizes. I have not yet copied any data onto the partitions and was wanting to use a data recovery software to retrieve the 3 different partitions. Which is the best data recovery software to use for this. I have Data Rescue and Stellar Phoenix. Do I use the recover deleted/lost files of deleted/lost volumes if I use Stellar Phoenix?

What I have noticed is when I use these data recovery software for deleted items the names of the files are different after the recovery. Is there anyway to retrieve the correct filenames as well.
soundbase is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old May 20, 2011, 06:43 AM   #2
miles01110
macrumors 604

Data Rescue is probably your best bet; but you're likely not going to be able to recover anything.
Old May 20, 2011, 09:36 AM   #3
flankgrace
macrumors newbie

I have just used Mac data recovery to recover the lost data.
You can find the information here:
http://forums.macrumors.com/showthre...1#post12603532
flankgrace is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old May 20, 2011, 09:55 AM   #4
soundbase
macrumors newbie

Best Data Recovery software

I Have been running Stellar Phoenix the whole day. It is still running but it looks like it has recovered 52GB, will be interesting to see if it actually pulls proper files back or if the 52GB is all gibberish.

On their site it states that it even pulls data from "Undelete all your files, folders, documents even after completely emptying the Trash by hitting 'Command+Shift+Option+Backspace'."

And: "Recover any Mac Partition/Volume that has been deleted months ago. With Stellar Mac Data Recovery, you can search and list all the previously existed volumes in your Mac hard drive."

So I'm holding thumbs. Will keep you guys posted if it was all successful
soundbase is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old May 20, 2011, 10:23 AM   #5
Fuith
macrumors member

Testdisk

http://www.cgsecurity.org/wiki/TestDisk Brilliant piece of software. Command line only though.
Fuith is offline   1 Reply With Quote
Old May 25, 2011, 12:34 AM   #6
stellarinfo
macrumors newbie

Re:

Hi soundbase!
Thanks for using Stellar Phoenix Mac- Please update us about your progress we promise to help you. if file system is not changed, Use search for lost volume option to search for deleted partition. After Search, you needs to scan lost volume for data using Advance Recovery option. This option takes more time as compared to Quick Recovery but gives best outcome.

Please feel free to contact our Support Team if required.
Thanks
Stellarinfo
stellarinfo is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Jun 17, 2011, 02:56 AM   #7
Sirolway
macrumors 6502

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fuith View Post
http://www.cgsecurity.org/wiki/TestDisk Brilliant piece of software. Command line only though.
+1

If you have non-Mac partitions, in particular, this thing will recover just about anything. I used it to recover about 1TB off an ext2 (ext3?) format NAS drive
Sirolway is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Jul 12, 2012, 08:50 AM   #8
Fishrrman
macrumors 68040

"What I have noticed is when I use these data recovery software for deleted items the names of the files are different after the recovery. Is there anyway to retrieve the correct filenames as well."

You probably are going to lose most, if not all, of your file/folder hierarchies when using data recovery software.

That's just the way it works. Think of it this way -- the file names and folder hierarchies are "constructs of the directory", which was destroyed when you erased or re-initialized.

But erasing/re-initializing doesn't "touch" the data itself (unless the user chooses to "zero out" the data, in which case file recovery won't work). Even though the file names and "pointers" to the location of the files are wiped out (with the directory), the data is STILL THERE, out on the sectors of the drive's platters.

File recovery software works by "going around" the directory, "ignoring" it, so to speak. The software goes right to the sectors, and scavenges whatever it finds, then "re-assembles" the pieces back into files. This is why it takes so long.

So, the consolation is that even though you lose the filenames, you get the actual data back, and isn't that what's important?
Fishrrman is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old May 8, 2013, 01:47 AM   #9
Delores
macrumors newbie

Recently, I also encountered the similar data recovery problems. Thatís exactly why I came here to share my feelings with you about this old thread.
My problems like this: one of my drive partitions was mistakenly formatted by me instead of another partition. So, I even had no time to back up my important data on this partition.
In order to get back my erased data, I had read many articles and forums threads. Many people suggested me to use a third party data recovery tools. But, actually, I nearly knew nothing about data recovery stuff. Therefore, I only tried some free data drive data recovery tools recommended by them, such as Recuva, PhotoRec and iCare Data Recovery Free, etc.
They were free and efficient in retrieving my inaccessible data.
Fortunately, due to these free data recovery tools, I finally saved all my data back from this formatted partition.
So, If someone has similar problems, I think he also could give these freeware a shot.
Delores is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Jul 16, 2013, 04:29 AM   #10
SpinalTap
macrumors member

TechToolPro has just been updated to version 7 - which now includes data recovery functionality, amongst many other features...

http://www.micromat.com/products/techtool-pro
Old Aug 20, 2013, 01:45 AM   #11
Judith123
macrumors member

Hello Guys,

The Mac data recovery software all of you mentioned are good, but can anyone suggest a free program? I want to find a totally free powerful function of data recover software. I also hear that free version just supports few types of files to recover. That makes me spend some money buying program.
Judith123 is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Aug 21, 2013, 09:16 AM   #12
Fishrrman
macrumors 68040

"The Mac data recovery software all of you mentioned are good, but can anyone suggest a free program?"

You really aren't going to get any suggestions, because there aren't any "free" data recovery apps. They ALL work the same way.

At least all the data recovery apps that are easy to use.

I will mention ONE application called "test disk", that could be of use.
But it IS NOT "easy to use".
Fishrrman is offline   1 Reply With Quote
Old Aug 21, 2013, 11:06 AM   #13
phoenixsan
macrumors 65816

In my opinion.....

Data Rescue and Stellar are very good software to tackle your problem. Abandon all hope about recover hierarchies and proper file names. With Stellar you can get gibberish in the folder and file names. And have to filter all info to see the extent of the recovery. I can share with you my metrics, based in my practice doing recovery work for me and others: Stellar can get between 85-95% of your data. Data Rescue is between 90-98%

So, you have a long way before you.....Good luck with the recovery....

Old Sep 24, 2013, 03:22 PM   #14
georgi0
macrumors regular

sparsebundle / time machine

What would be the best option in recovery tools for recovering a non working time capsule backup file - sparsebundle not able to mount in my system?

I can still see the packages if i right click where I can not make out anything at all.

I see also that the image file size is correct to the one of my old backup, so I assume everything is still there but I can not access it.

thank you.
georgi0 is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Nov 17, 2013, 12:15 PM   #15
300DDR
macrumors member

see vendor information in user profile
An expert's advice...

As someone who deals with Mac data recovery daily, I can say for sure that Data Rescue 3 most often gives the best results. But there are hundreds of data recovery apps out there and most are junk (or clones of another app).

One application that no one mentioned is R-Studio (they have PC versions also). R-Studio can recover non-Mac drives (unlike Data Rescue) and also has more advanced RAID recovery options than DR3.

For *free* recovery, as mentioned TestDisk is good, and so is it's brother Photorec. The latter can recover more than just Photos and they are both completely free.

Be sure to create an image of your bad drive first with DDRescue (for data recovery when the problem isn't "deleted files" or "format recovery" like in OP's case) and THEN run DR applications on the image file created. You should never run any data recovery software tools on a dying drive.
Old Nov 21, 2013, 05:07 PM   #16
smirking
macrumors regular

Send a message via Yahoo to smirking
Quote:
Originally Posted by miles01110 View Post
Data Rescue is probably your best bet; but you're likely not going to be able to recover anything.
DataRescue has saved my Bacon more than once.
smirking is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Apr 12, 2014, 09:48 AM   #17
Fencealer
macrumors newbie

There is no best data recovery software. The one that can help you and you like is the best software.

Last edited by Fencealer; Apr 16, 2014 at 01:16 AM.
Fencealer is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Apr 12, 2014, 12:53 PM   #18
300DDR
macrumors member

see vendor information in user profile
Quote:
Originally Posted by Fencealer View Post
There is no best data recovery software. The one that can help you and you like is the best software.
You are probably right that none is "the best," but some are certainly worse than others.
Old Apr 14, 2014, 01:05 AM   #19
Alexander-James
macrumors newbie

Its a tricky job when it comes to recovering lost data. taking backups time to time is highly recommended. Peace
Alexander-James is offline   0 Reply With Quote

MacRumors Forums > Apple Applications > Mac Applications and Mac App Store