Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

GhostDZ9

macrumors regular
Original poster
Sep 13, 2010
Hey guys,

So im building another part to my app and i can't get it to display properly

What I have:

- I have a navigation bar at the top that has the app name
- I have a button to start the timer
- I have a UITableView to show 6 options
- A date picker at the bottom of the app in the form of a timer

My issue is:

When I create a new file without a subclass of a UITableView

I can edit the .xib file and put whatever I want on it but they array doesn't populate on the TableView

OR

When I create a new file with a subclass of UITableView

I can't edit the .xib file and put whatever i want but they array populates the UITableView

ANY SUGGESTIONS??????

Ghost

dejo

Moderator emeritus
Sep 2, 2004
The Centennial State
Do you have a subclass of UIViewController for your view? You should. And when you do, you can make it the delegate and datasource for your UITableView.

jnoxx

macrumors 65816
Dec 29, 2010
Aartselaar // Antwerp // Belgium
Like Dejo said.

If u add a UITableView in a blank UIView Controller, u have to add delegates (Objective C thing.)

In your Header file, u can do like this

Code:
 blahblah : UIViewController <UITableViewDelegate, UITableViewDatasource>

Or something. Then in your XIB, add the tableview, control click it, drag it to files owner, show it the delegate/datasource. Then it will populate it accordingly, if u add the code right ;)

PhoneyDeveloper

macrumors 68040
Sep 2, 2008
I think you're running into a limitation of UITableViewController. It requires that its table is fullscreen. If you want a tableview that is smaller than fullscreen you need to use your own subclass of UIViewController. What I usually do is create a new file and choose UITableViewController and then change the base class to UIViewController. In this way I get all of the tableviewcontroller methods in the .m file.

GhostDZ9

macrumors regular
Original poster
Sep 13, 2010
I think you're running into a limitation of UITableViewController. It requires that its table is fullscreen. If you want a tableview that is smaller than fullscreen you need to use your own subclass of UIViewController. What I usually do is create a new file and choose UITableViewController and then change the base class to UIViewController. In this way I get all of the tableviewcontroller methods in the .m file.

How would I go about doing that?

jnoxx

macrumors 65816
Dec 29, 2010
Aartselaar // Antwerp // Belgium
That's kind off how I said..
Add a new file, a UIVIewController, and then u can select if u want it to be a UIVIewController subclass or a UITableViewController. choose the latter, then, in the header file, change it to how i said it, u have the methods and the XIB to go on..
But create a new UIView, drag the existing tableview in there. and on the file's owner, instead of giving the tableview the "view" property, give it to the UIView.

Or grab a book if u didn't understand what we just proposed :p

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.