Go Back   MacRumors Forums > Apple Hardware > PowerPC Macs

Old May 20, 2011, 09:08 PM   #1
matthewscott661
macrumors 6502

Installing OS on iBook G3 without optical drive

I am trying to figure out what is the best/easiest way to reinstall Mac OS on my iBook. The optical drive has been broken for years now, and it was never an issue until now.

I have tried using remote install but I don't think it works between different versions of OS X(iBook requires 10.4 and my MacBook has 10.6).

I have also tried installing via usb, but I can't get the computer to recognize the image. Is there something special I need to do to the usb drive to get the computer to recognize the OS installation disc image?

Or is there some better way to go about this? I am considering taking it to the Apple store, since it is only a 10 minute drive, and seeing what they have to say about my almost 8 year old mac, they may still have a 10.4 image they can copy for me, but it's overly likely.
matthewscott661 is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old May 21, 2011, 08:17 AM   #2
chrismacguy
macrumors 68000

1) Remote Install won't work as it wasn't a feature of Mac OS X before the MacBook Airs came out with 10.5
2) I would be most tempted to buy a new optical drive and replace it - iFixit etc generally have good guides on the tools and parts youll need and step-by-step instructions on how to do it
If that is too complex however...
3) I would try and find another similar era Mac, borrow it, and hook it up the the iBook using FireWire (6 to 6 pin), put the iBook in FireWire Target Disk mode, and install Mac OS X to the iBooks HD using the borrowed computer.
chrismacguy is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old May 21, 2011, 09:39 AM   #3
stroked
macrumors 6502a

or an external OD, if you can't borrow another mac
stroked is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old May 21, 2011, 02:02 PM   #4
matthewscott661
macrumors 6502

Quote:
Originally Posted by chrismacguy View Post
1) Remote Install won't work as it wasn't a feature of Mac OS X before the MacBook Airs came out with 10.5
2) I would be most tempted to buy a new optical drive and replace it - iFixit etc generally have good guides on the tools and parts youll need and step-by-step instructions on how to do it
If that is too complex however...
3) I would try and find another similar era Mac, borrow it, and hook it up the the iBook using FireWire (6 to 6 pin), put the iBook in FireWire Target Disk mode, and install Mac OS X to the iBooks HD using the borrowed computer.
I tried switching the optical drive with one from a similar iBook that had a janky logic board, but it still didn't work, I think there is an issue with my board or the connector or something.

Gahh, I forgot all about Target Disk since my main computer is one of the few mac models from history that DOESN'T have firewire. That should work wonderfully, thanks!
matthewscott661 is offline   0 Reply With Quote

MacRumors Forums > Apple Hardware > PowerPC Macs