Go Back   MacRumors Forums > iPhone, iPod and iPad > iPhone > iPhone Tips, Help and Troubleshooting

Old May 22, 2011, 05:18 PM   #1
bascotie
macrumors newbie

Exclamation 3gs wont boot - stuck at apple logo - wont charge

Hi guys,

A friend's 3gs is stuck at the apple logo. I did a restore several times, but it still gets stuck at the apple logo. Just now, after being stuck at the apple logo for a while, and even though it is plugged in, it went from apple logo to red battery charge screen.

Tried putting it in DFU mode and trying redsnow, tried stock firmware at least3-4 times, nothing seems to work. Oh, it just went from the battery picture back to the apple logo, so maybe it's having problems charging?

Also, yesterday, after messing around with it I saw the main screen all jumbled up but couldn't get past it (the screen where you slide to unlock).
bascotie is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old May 22, 2011, 08:05 PM   #2
Crystal-RX
macrumors 68030

Quote:
Originally Posted by bascotie View Post
Hi guys,

A friend's 3gs is stuck at the apple logo. I did a restore several times, but it still gets stuck at the apple logo. Just now, after being stuck at the apple logo for a while, and even though it is plugged in, it went from apple logo to red battery charge screen.

Tried putting it in DFU mode and trying redsnow, tried stock firmware at least3-4 times, nothing seems to work. Oh, it just went from the battery picture back to the apple logo, so maybe it's having problems charging?

Also, yesterday, after messing around with it I saw the main screen all jumbled up but couldn't get past it (the screen where you slide to unlock).
If you are at the screen where it ask you to slide to unlock. You need an original carrier sim card to put in to activate the phone to home screen or hactivate it with redsn0w.
Crystal-RX is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old May 22, 2011, 08:10 PM   #3
bascotie
macrumors newbie

Quote:
Originally Posted by Crystal-RX View Post
If you are at the screen where it ask you to slide to unlock. You need an original carrier sim card to put in to activate the phone to home screen or hactivate it with redsn0w.

Thanks. I tried RedSn0w but I couldn't get past the slider, not because it was locked, but because the phone was acting weird and wouldn't let me do it. Now, I can't get past apple logo T_T
Old May 22, 2011, 08:14 PM   #4
Crystal-RX
macrumors 68030

Quote:
Thanks. I tried RedSn0w but I couldn't get past the slider, not because it was locked, but because the phone was acting weird and wouldn't let me do it. Now, I can't get past apple logo T_T
Few things you need to check when redsn0w is not working;

1. Did you pick the correct firmware?
2. Can't get in to DFU mode due to power/home button not working.
3. your phone model. This go back to my point # 1. If you have 3G and think you have 3GS, you pick the 3GS firmware, it will not work.
Old May 22, 2011, 08:20 PM   #5
bascotie
macrumors newbie

Quote:
Few things you need to check when redsn0w is not working;

1. Did you pick the correct firmware?
2. Can't get in to DFU mode due to power/home button not working.
3. your phone model. This go back to my point # 1. If you have 3G and think you have 3GS, you pick the 3GS firmware, it will not work.
Thanks again. The RedSn0w jailbreak finished, but the phone just didn't boot up afterwards. Just like when restoring from itunes using stock firmware. I can get into DFU mode.

The phone shows the red battery like it needs charging. I plug it in -> then the lightning symbol shows up, but no matter how long it's plugged it, it'll still show it needs to be charged.

Also, I noticed windows saying something about an MTU driver that failed to install when I plugged in the phone once.
Old May 22, 2011, 08:25 PM   #6
Crystal-RX
macrumors 68030

Quote:
Thanks again. The RedSn0w jailbreak finished, but the phone just didn't boot up afterwards. Just like when restoring from itunes using stock firmware. I can get into DFU mode.

The phone shows the red battery like it needs charging. I plug it in -> then the lightning symbol shows up, but no matter how long it's plugged it, it'll still show it needs to be charged.

Also, I noticed windows saying something about an MTU driver that failed to install when I plugged in the phone once.
It's seen like the battery is dead.
Old May 22, 2011, 09:05 PM   #7
bascotie
macrumors newbie

Quote:
It's seen like the battery is dead.
Thanks for the fast response. Would a dead battery prevent the phone from booting up when plugged in? Also, I found out that this is indeed a 3g and not 3gs so I'm trying some different firmware now.
Old May 22, 2011, 09:15 PM   #8
bascotie
macrumors newbie

3g firmware didn't work. Also I get a driver error saying MTP Usb device was not installed successfully,

MacRumors Forums > iPhone, iPod and iPad > iPhone > iPhone Tips, Help and Troubleshooting