Go Back   MacRumors Forums > iPhone, iPod and iPad > iPhone

Old May 23, 2011, 10:10 AM   #1
HappyDude20
macrumors 68020

Verizon iPhone w/o Data Plan - Possible?

I'm sure, no, I'm positive this question has ben asked before but would love up to date advice as to if any iPhone can be activated on Verizon's network w/o any data plan?

I'm at the point where i'm welcoming the upcoming summer data cap's just so I won't have to spend as much on my monthly bill. WiFi is everywhere nowadays and really, really, really don't wanna spend money on 3G service.
Old May 23, 2011, 10:14 AM   #2
sotorious
macrumors 6502a

Quote:
Originally Posted by HappyDude20 View Post
I'm sure, no, I'm positive this question has ben asked before but would love up to date advice as to if any iPhone can be activated on Verizon's network w/o any data plan?

I'm at the point where i'm welcoming the upcoming summer data cap's just so I won't have to spend as much on my monthly bill. WiFi is everywhere nowadays and really, really, really don't wanna spend money on 3G service.
Buy the iphone off contract and get a plan with verizon thats what i did. I do have 3g though but i can call them up right now and tell them to take it off i can also cancel at anytime.
sotorious is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old May 23, 2011, 10:18 AM   #3
DollaTwentyFive
macrumors 6502a

It is currently not possible to have an iphone on Verizon without a data plan. This feature cannot be removed from your account.
DollaTwentyFive is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old May 23, 2011, 10:51 AM   #4
HappyDude20
macrumors 68020

Quote:
Originally Posted by sotorious View Post
Buy the iphone off contract and get a plan with verizon thats what i did. I do have 3g though but i can call them up right now and tell them to take it off i can also cancel at anytime.
Quote:
Originally Posted by DollaTwentyFive View Post
It is currently not possible to have an iphone on Verizon without a data plan. This feature cannot be removed from your account.
Wait, I'm now confused.

Sotorious, you're saying to purchase an iPhone for Verizon out of contract and get a plan with Verizon. I'm presuming you mean a "pay-as-you-go" contract? What do you mean you have the 3G service but can take it off at anytime?

Dolla25, this is the same inclination that i've thought of for some time now. But now i'm wondering if the the 3G feature can be taken off when under a no contract plan...
Old May 23, 2011, 11:26 AM   #5
johnfnwhiteside
macrumors newbie

Wirelessly posted (Mozilla/5.0 (iPhone; U; CPU iPhone OS 4_2_8 like Mac OS X; en-us) AppleWebKit/533.17.9 (KHTML, like Gecko) Version/5.0.2 Mobile/8E401 Safari/6533.18.5)

As far as I know there is no way to not have a data plan. Even if you did you would have to be very careful to not turn on cellular data because your phone would use the data even though you don't have a plan. Your bill for that would make $30 a month not seem so bad.
Old May 23, 2011, 11:30 AM   #6
DougFNJ
macrumors 6502a

I called Verizon last week for a coworker who had the same question. The answer was no, you could not have a Smartphone of ANY kind without a data plan.

Also, I remember when activating my iPhone, I had to choose a data plan to move forward, so I do not believe it is possible to have an iPhone without data.
Old May 23, 2011, 11:32 AM   #7
HappyDude20
macrumors 68020

Quote:
Originally Posted by johnfnwhiteside View Post
Wirelessly posted (Mozilla/5.0 (iPhone; U; CPU iPhone OS 4_2_8 like Mac OS X; en-us) AppleWebKit/533.17.9 (KHTML, like Gecko) Version/5.0.2 Mobile/8E401 Safari/6533.18.5)

As far as I know there is no way to not have a data plan. Even if you did you would have to be very careful to not turn on cellular data because your phone would use the data even though you don't have a plan. Your bill for that would make $30 a month not seem so bad.
That's true.

See, for a while now I've carried around my iPod Touch 2G. The screen broke about 2 months ago and the headphone aux jack doesn't work anymore. Aside from it being dead slow, well...no, that's the big thing for me...that its slow and I hate it.

I'm now thinking about getting a iPod Touch 5G (when it comes out in Sept.) or get the new iPhone 5 (or even 4, depending on the 5). My qualm is the $30 data fee...

I've been carrying around my iPod Touch and Verizon Cell phone for years now and would love to merge the devices into one iPhone...
Old May 23, 2011, 04:11 PM   #8
sotorious
macrumors 6502a

I dont see how this is not possible. it would just switch to edge or none, and you shouldnt be able to connect to any data. As far as i know i think this was present on tmobile. I do not know much about verizon but i was assuming it was the same.
sotorious is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old May 23, 2011, 04:48 PM   #9
chris2k5
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by sotorious View Post
I dont see how this is not possible. it would just switch to edge or none, and you shouldnt be able to connect to any data. As far as i know i think this was present on tmobile. I do not know much about verizon but i was assuming it was the same.
Verizon works differently. You don't have a SIM. You have to activate the iPhone before you can use it. During the activation process, to even begin, you must select a data plan (only choice is the unlimited $30). So you can turn off 3G if you want, but you'll still have that data plan on your account and in that case it is a waste not to use 3G that you are paying for. :P
chris2k5 is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old May 23, 2011, 09:11 PM   #10
Himynamesnoah
macrumors member

Wirelessly posted (Mozilla/5.0 (iPhone; U; CPU iPhone OS 4_3_3 like Mac OS X; en-us) AppleWebKit/533.17.9 (KHTML, like Gecko) Version/5.0.2 Mobile/8J2 Safari/6533.18.5)

You could buy the iPhone outright, then use it on Pageplus. They run off Verison (use the same network), and are a prepaid company. I think it's $45 for unlimited texting, calling, and 50mb of 3G.

I once and my Droid on Pageplus and it was really good. It just has to have a clean ESN.
Himynamesnoah is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old May 23, 2011, 09:16 PM   #11
DollaTwentyFive
macrumors 6502a

My understanding is that Page Plus will not let you activate an iPhone on their network. It's true that they use Verizon's network on a secondary basis, but the phone still has to be flashed for PRL, etc... As a result, there are some phones they will not allow on their network and the last that I heard, iPhone is one of the forbidden phones.

I understand that the $30/month is a pain in the neck, but it is less than $1/day to have data wherever you are. Most of my data is used over wifi too but I like the fact that I have data anywhere. Bottom line with Verizon is that if you have a smartphone, you are paying for data. Which makes sense. Having an iPhone with no data is kind of like having a sailboat and never raising the sails.
DollaTwentyFive is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old May 23, 2011, 09:20 PM   #12
Himynamesnoah
macrumors member

Wirelessly posted (Mozilla/5.0 (iPhone; U; CPU iPhone OS 4_3_3 like Mac OS X; en-us) AppleWebKit/533.17.9 (KHTML, like Gecko) Version/5.0.2 Mobile/8J2 Safari/6533.18.5)

Quote:
Originally Posted by DollaTwentyFive
My understanding is that Page Plus will not let you activate an iPhone on their network. It's true that they use Verizon's network on a secondary basis, but the phone still has to be flashed for PRL, etc... As a result, there are some phones they will not allow on their network and the last that I heard, iPhone is one of the forbidden phones.

I understand that the $30/month is a pain in the neck, but it is less than $1/day to have data wherever you are. Most of my data is used over wifi too but I like the fact that I have data anywhere. Bottom line with Verizon is that if you have a smartphone, you are paying for data. Which makes sense. Having an iPhone with no data is kind of like having a sailboat and never raising the sails.
You're right. I knew I should've googled it!
But they're forbidden on the network. You could do an ATT iPhone on H20 Wireless. No need for the phone to be unlocked, $40 a month for unlimited talk, text, and 100mb of 3G.
Thats what I'm going to do, just need to buy my SIM.
Himynamesnoah is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old May 23, 2011, 09:48 PM   #13
saberahul
macrumors 68040

You cannot have it without the data plan - tried it - failed. Anyways, I use the data plan far more than I initially thought I would so the $1/day isn't all that bad really.

I have an iPod Touch 4G as well but I gave that to my wife as she doesn't have an iPhone. There isn't any use carrying both the devices as the iPhone does all for you. If you get an iPhone - don't get the iPod touch or just sell it off if you have it already.
Old May 23, 2011, 09:53 PM   #14
wordoflife
macrumors 604

Well when Verizon goes with capped data, data fees won't be $30. I assume they'll be $15-20
wordoflife is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old May 28, 2011, 01:06 AM   #15
HappyDude20
macrumors 68020

Quote:
Originally Posted by wordoflife View Post
Well when Verizon goes with capped data, data fees won't be $30. I assume they'll be $15-20

Let's say I go for a $15 data plan that includes 200MB's...

Say I get close to 200MB's. . .

Will I have an option of turning off the data on the iPhone itself so I'll purposefully only use WiFi and not the data service?

e.g., purchasing the new iPhone 5 with the lowest data plan priced option and purposefully turning off the data service to exclusively use only Wifi @ home & starbucks locations?

I don't want to have to worry about potentially going over my data plan, which would seem to be a reoccurring concern when using one of the cell phone companies lower tiered data plans.
Old May 28, 2011, 11:43 AM   #16
dccorona
macrumors 68020

Quote:
Originally Posted by HappyDude20 View Post
Let's say I go for a $15 data plan that includes 200MB's...

Say I get close to 200MB's. . .

Will I have an option of turning off the data on the iPhone itself so I'll purposefully only use WiFi and not the data service?

e.g., purchasing the new iPhone 5 with the lowest data plan priced option and purposefully turning off the data service to exclusively use only Wifi @ home & starbucks locations?

I don't want to have to worry about potentially going over my data plan, which would seem to be a reoccurring concern when using one of the cell phone companies lower tiered data plans.
yes theres a switch in settings to do that
Old Nov 23, 2011, 11:35 AM   #17
IPODTOUCHLOVER
macrumors newbie

Quote:
Originally Posted by dccorona View Post
yes theres a switch in settings to do that
if that's the case, i'd take the cheapest plan possible. what is the cheapest? 20? 30?

i have wifi at home and would use the iphone on WIFI settings for most of it's use. i doubt i would use much of the data when i go out. just making phone calls.
IPODTOUCHLOVER is offline   -1 Reply With Quote
Old Nov 23, 2011, 11:57 AM   #18
chris2k5
Banned

You do realize this thread is well over 5-6 months old right?!?!
chris2k5 is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Nov 23, 2011, 12:06 PM   #19
wordoflife
macrumors 604

Quote:
Originally Posted by chris2k5 View Post
You do realize this thread is well over 5-6 months old right?!?!
I don't even understand how people find these old threads just to reply to something so old.
wordoflife is offline   0 Reply With Quote

MacRumors Forums > iPhone, iPod and iPad > iPhone