Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

MacRumors

macrumors bot
Original poster
Apr 12, 2001

Last month, Amazon rolled out a promotion highlighting 69-cent new release tracks in its MP3 download store, an apparent effort to draw market share from Apple in the digital download market that has long been dominated by the iTunes Store. The pricing significantly undercuts Apple's own pricing, which typically comes in at $1.29 for popular new tracks.

amazon_lady_gaga_deal_2.jpg

Amazon has made another push today with a "Daily Deal" offering the new Lady Gaga album, "Born This Way", for only $0.99 through the Amazon MP3 Store. The special price is available for today only and compares to the $11.99 price point for the standard album in the iTunes Store, where an expanded edition is also available for $15.99.

amazon_lady_gaga_deal.jpg

Aside from Amazon's bargain basement pricing on what is expected to be a top-selling new release, the company is also using it as an opportunity to promote its new cloud-based storage service that will also be going up against Apple when it rolls out its own service in the near future. As noted on the Amazon MP3 Store and in promotional emails sent to some of its customers, purchase of the new Lady Gaga album, as with any other album, qualifies users for free upgrades to the 20 GB tier on Amazon Cloud Drive.

Amazon Cloud Drive offers 5 GB of storage space for free, with content purchased through the Amazon MP3 Store not counting toward that limit. The 20 GB tier is normally priced at $20 per year, but customers who purchase an album through the Amazon MP3 Store receive a free one-year upgrade to that level. Consequently, customers who do not have any interest in the Lady Gaga album may still opt to purchase the new release simply to receive the Amazon Cloud Drive storage upgrade for only 99 cents.

Article Link: Amazon Hits iTunes Again With $0.99 Lady Gaga Album, Qualifies for Cloud Drive Storage Upgrade

droz

macrumors member
Apr 19, 2007
So in other words....

Amazon is scared ****less about Apple's imminent release of iCloud. They know darn well that iCloud will blow Amazon cloud storage away so they are trying to get as many people on board as possible before the announcement. Good luck with that.

rorschach

macrumors 68020
Jul 27, 2003
Amazon is scared ****less about Apple's imminent release of iCloud. They know darn well that iCloud will blow Amazon cloud storage away so they are trying to get as many people on board as possible before the announcement. Good luck with that.

It seems that way. Not that this isn't a good way to do it, of course. But you're right.

But I don't have any interest in either (Cloud Drive or the album) so I'll pass.

ghostface147

macrumors 601
May 28, 2008
99 cents? Hell of a deal. iTunes? 13 bucks. I still won't get it, but good to undercut the competition like that.

oban14

macrumors 6502a
Jan 4, 2008

What is there to be scared of? What are you basing this on?

smiddlehurst

macrumors 65816
Jun 5, 2007
£3.99 in the UK – 15 tracks. Hard to argue with really. Bought it.

So how does the pie get sliced?

See I think that's really poor, if you're going to offer a special price in one territory (where Amazon is clearly taking a big loss for promotional purposes) it should be in ALL territories.

Biscuit411

macrumors regular
Sep 29, 2010
Wirelessly posted (Mozilla/5.0 (iPhone; U; CPU iPhone OS 4_2_1 like Mac OS X; en-us) AppleWebKit/533.17.9 (KHTML, like Gecko) Version/5.0.2 Mobile/8C148 Safari/6533.18.5)

Doesnt it say any album is 99 cents, so if you don't want Gaga then no problem. This is a great one-time deal! Nice to see some competition for Apple. Perhaps their new pricing will be a bit more realistic. $20 for 20G - would Apple ever price storage that low? Maybe now... :)

OllyW

Staff member
Oct 11, 2005
The Black Country, England
See I think that's really poor, if you're going to offer a special price in one territory (where Amazon is clearly taking a big loss for promotional purposes) it should be in ALL territories.

It's not just Amazon, Apple does the same thing with the iTunes Store.

Wirelessly posted (Mozilla/5.0 (iPhone; U; CPU iPhone OS 4_2_1 like Mac OS X; en-us) AppleWebKit/533.17.9 (KHTML, like Gecko) Version/5.0.2 Mobile/8C148 Safari/6533.18.5)

Doesnt it say any album is 99 cents, so if you don't want Gaga then no problem.

No, it's buy any album to get the free Cloud Drive upgrade.

uncle.zed

macrumors member
Nov 17, 2009
I wouldn't spend even 1cent on this kind of so called "music".

Mass media promoted cr@p

ericinboston

macrumors 68020
Jan 13, 2008

Amazon has been PROVIDING Cloud based computing for years. How long has Apple?

richardsonrs

macrumors regular
Jul 1, 2010
Wirelessly posted (Mozilla/5.0 (iPhone; U; CPU iPhone OS 4_3_3 like Mac OS X; en-us) AppleWebKit/533.17.9 (KHTML, like Gecko) Version/5.0.2 Mobile/8J2 Safari/6533.18.5)

oban14 said:

What is there to be scared of? What are you basing this on?

Pretty sure he's basing it on Apple fanboy ignorance. Just my two cents. Nothing to be scared of. Cloud storage is cloud storage. Believe it or not, some people hate apple and wouldn't use the service whether it was free or not. Sometimes I hate coming here and reading all the ignorant drivel.

DeaconGraves

macrumors 65816
Apr 25, 2007
Dallas, TX
Doesnt it say any album is 99 cents, so if you don't want Gaga then no problem.

Not quite. You get the free CLoud Drive storage upgrade if you buy any album today, but Born This Way is the only album (that I know of) that's 99 cents.

Still a good deal though. Amazon tends to discount albums (though not as drastically as this) right after they're released, so just find something you've been meaning to get on iTunes and get some free online storage!

Popeye206

macrumors 68040
Sep 6, 2007
NE PA USA
Seems like the Record Labels may not like this move by Amazon.... they are devaluing the market for paid downloads and I'm sure that makes them nervous.

I have to agree with the other poster... Amazon looks nervous. I'm sure they're taking a financial hit to try and capture some business.

Kaibelf

Suspended
Apr 29, 2009
Silicon Valley, CA
Lady Gaga is the worst "musician" alive.

I cringe at calling her a musician.

I wouldn't spend even 1cent on this kind of so called "music".

Mass media promoted cr@p

Musician, –noun
1. a person who makes music a profession, especially as a performer of music.

She writes all of her own songs. She sings live every time. She's a classically trained pianist and dancer. She endlessly tours, appears, and promotes her songs and brand. She plays instruments on stage. It's pretty safe to say that, regardless of if you buy the albums or listen to it on the radio, she's about 1000x the musician that most "artists" out there are. Who exactly do YOU listen to that you call a "musician?" :cool: That's why she made $90m last year and has fans lining up to get a photo with her (which she spend hours accommodating for people), and why you're here acting like YOU are too good for HER. Just sayin'.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.