Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

OrlandoTragic

macrumors 68000
Original poster
May 13, 2007
Orlando, FL
I have an iPad 2, and want to print using AirPrint, however, I don't have internet at my house anymore.

Do I need to be connected to a wireless network in order to print?
If so, how can I get my iPad to print?

OrlandoTragic

macrumors 68000
Original poster
May 13, 2007
Orlando, FL
That sucks. Is there any way I can wirelessly print to a printer via one of the 3rd party apps without being connected to a wireless network?

saiyan

macrumors member
Aug 5, 2010
You do NOT need Internet access but you need to have a wireless network which connects to both your printer and iPad. That means you just need to have a cheap wireless router (or a wireless access point plus a network switch) even if you don't have Internet access.

Reactions: Patriot1

pdpfilms

macrumors 68020
Jun 29, 2004
Vermontana
Maybe what they're wondering is if you can print using AirPrint if you're not on the same network as the printer?

I've been wondering recently if I can print documents on my home printer while at work...

ani23

macrumors 6502
Dec 22, 2008
I have an iPad 2, and want to print using AirPrint, however, I don't have internet at my house anymore.

Do I need to be connected to a wireless network in order to print?
If so, how can I get my iPad to print?

Your iPad needs to send the data to the printer. its not connected to anything without a wifi or 3G network.

As far as i know airprint doesnt work over 3G. Maybe if you VPN in or something but i have never heard of anyone trying.

So unless you have wifi no printing for you.

P.S. do you not have wifi at home ro do you not have any internet at all?

OrlandoTragic

macrumors 68000
Original poster
May 13, 2007
Orlando, FL
No. It should be completely obvious that to print wirelessly you need a wireless network.

I understand... basically what I'm asking is if there is any other way for an iPad to communicate with a printer other than through wireless.

No need to get upset.

saving107

macrumors 603
Oct 14, 2007
San Jose, Ca
I understand... basically what I'm asking is if there is any other way for an iPad to communicate with a printer other than through wireless.

Yes, it is possible
iPad-printing-solution-580-x-435-499x375.jpg

joking,

I think what your looking for is a Bluetooth printer, not a WiFi Network Printer, but I honestly don't know if the iPad can print via Bluetooth (but Bluetooth would be the only other option if WiFi is not available).

Bartman01

macrumors regular
Oct 23, 2008

No need to get upset.

So you seriously don't get the contradiction in your original question that this post was trying to point out? How can you use AirPrint (a wireless printing method) without a wireless connection to the printer?

You don't have to have internet to set up a wireless network. Just pick up a cheap wireless router or access point.

marcomc

macrumors newbie
Sep 8, 2011
London
AirPrint vs Celeste

Any AirPrint enabled wireless printer you need to be connected to a WiFi network, the same to which your iDevice (iPhone or iPad) is connected.

The AirPrint is a protocol that make the iOS device NOT to need a driver to print over WiFi.
In fact the are many wireless printers but not all of them implement the AirPrint protocol.

The AirPrint enabled wireless printer DO NOT offer and Access Point functionality so you can not connect to them if there is not a WiFi network already in place.

If your need is to print wirelessly but without relying on a preexistent network what you will need is a Bluetooth printer, but in that case you will need to jailbreak your iDevice and install the commercial application Celeste from the Cydia store.

I use this last solution to print on my Polaroid PoGo printer.

See: http://www.marcomc.com/index.php/20...nt-and-hps-eprint/comment-page-1/#comment-400

howyoudoin

macrumors member
Feb 6, 2002
Any AirPrint enabled wireless printer you need to be connected to a WiFi network, the same to which your iDevice (iPhone or iPad) is connected.

The AirPrint is a protocol that make the iOS device NOT to need a driver to print over WiFi.
In fact the are many wireless printers but not all of them implement the AirPrint protocol.

The AirPrint enabled wireless printer DO NOT offer and Access Point functionality so you can not connect to them if there is not a WiFi network already in place.

If your need is to print wirelessly but without relying on a preexistent network what you will need is a Bluetooth printer, but in that case you will need to jailbreak your iDevice and install the commercial application Celeste from the Cydia store.

I use this last solution to print on my Polaroid PoGo printer.

See: http://www.marcomc.com/index.php/20...nt-and-hps-eprint/comment-page-1/#comment-400

Lots of HP printers have the ability to create their own wireless network, not sure if the iPad can actually connect to it and print. I don't have a airprint compatible HP printer but my HP printer does have the ability to create a local adhoc network

marcomc

macrumors newbie
Sep 8, 2011
London
Lots of HP printers have the ability to create their own wireless network, not sure if the iPad can actually connect to it and print. I don't have a airprint compatible HP printer but my HP printer does have the ability to create a local adhoc network

Actually the ad-hoc WiFi network created by the HP printers can be the substitute for a WiFi access point, but still iOS devices cannot natively print to them as if they don't support the AirPrint functionality then the iDevice doesn't know how to discover and recognise as a printer nor know what driver to use.

The may be some new tweak for Jaibroken devices on Cydia that may make possible to the discovery of WiFi printer on a network without them being AirPrint compatible.. to be verified.

riveraman

macrumors newbie
Oct 27, 2011
airprint

ok. I have the following scenario: I have to work in remote locations (each day a different location). There's no internet connection and printer available. (either not there, or I can't use (wifi) network at the location). I'm using an iPad 2 with 3G to connect to the internet, but I need to print to leave "paperwork" behind at each location. It's not a problem for me to buy an airport express (or other wireless router and connect my iPad and Airprinter to that, however I've been reading about this and it seems like it's not possible to get internet over 3G and print through wifi on the Airprint printer. Any suggestions/solutions?

Thanks!

Darth.Titan

macrumors 68030
Oct 31, 2007
Austin, TX
ok. I have the following scenario: I have to work in remote locations (each day a different location). There's no internet connection and printer available. (either not there, or I can't use (wifi) network at the location). I'm using an iPad 2 with 3G to connect to the internet, but I need to print to leave "paperwork" behind at each location. It's not a problem for me to buy an airport express (or other wireless router and connect my iPad and Airprinter to that, however I've been reading about this and it seems like it's not possible to get internet over 3G and print through wifi on the Airprint printer. Any suggestions/solutions?

Thanks!

You would connect to the AirPort Wifi network to print to your printer. You will not have access to the internet while you do this because your airport network would only consist of your iPad, the Airport, and your printer (no internet connection), but printing should be fine.

spiderman0616

Suspended
Aug 1, 2010
Take a look at this app:

http://itunes.apple.com/us/app/printcentral-for-ipad/id366020849?mt=8

Won't help the OP but it might do the trick for you.

I can't speak for the above app (I'm sure it works fine) but I'm using another one called Print n Share. I believe it's 8.99 as well and it works great. I have a wireless network printer at home that is not AirPlay compatible but has an IP address on my network.

I was skeptical that it would work because it just seemed to good to be true that an $8 app would do the same thing as a $100+ printer, but it really does work, and is compatible with all the apps I would need to print from.

takeshi74

macrumors 601
Feb 9, 2011
I was skeptical that it would work because it just seemed to good to be true that an $8 app would do the same thing as a $100+ printer, but it really does work, and is compatible with all the apps I would need to print from.
Not sure why it seems odd unless you're solely basing it on price. It's mainly software that makes Airprint printers Airprint compatible.

Fromspain

macrumors newbie
Mar 1, 2012
This worked form

To be on the same wlan, you can share your iPad2 internet connection, and setup the printer to connect to the shared wlan...

This works for me, on both HP and Epson printers...

Hope it helps!

Jackintosh

macrumors 6502a
Mar 21, 2009
Speaking of Airprint and iPad, Airprint Activator (free) no longer works with IOS 5 for non-supported Airprint printers. Has anyone found a solution for non-supported printers (either free or not)?

whtrbt7

macrumors 65816
Jun 8, 2011
Airprint is only good on WiFi-WiFi connections which means either connected to a wireless router or via ad-hoc connection. If the HP Printer has ePrint, you can print via e-mail by having an ethernet connection connected to the printer and then printing via 3G connection. Either way, your printer has to be connected to something.

byrdieep

macrumors newbie
May 5, 2013
airprint on an internetless wireless network from a 3g ipad

ok, I installed a wifi network that is NOT connected to internet (IPAD has 3g) so I can airpint to a canon printer. I AM ABLE to print when i select the network I created. BUT when the network is selected, then I dont have internet connection, seems ipad is trying to get internet through the wifi, and not using 3g. This is actually my moms (82 yo) system. I COULD turn the wifi off on the ipad excet when I want to print, but that is too convoluted for her. Any suggestions?
Is there anyway I can make the ipad use the 3g when connected to the internetless wireless network?
Thanks, Byrdie

WSR

macrumors regular
Jun 9, 2011
Maybe what they're wondering is if you can print using AirPrint if you're not on the same network as the printer?

I've been wondering recently if I can print documents on my home printer while at work...

Some HP printers have the ePrint feature that allows this.

Basically the iOs device send the file to a server and the printer checks that server on a regular bases for items to print.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.