Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

alienatf

macrumors member
Original poster
Jul 2, 2010
Russia, Moscow
Hi everyone.

I've bought iMac i7 3.4 without SSD and now wanna add crucial m4 ssd, which are really fast.

I've already teared down imac, and found that there is new cables, i think it's called "microsata".

So, what cables i should by, so i can put SSD drive into my iMac.

talmy

macrumors 601
Oct 26, 2009
Oregon
The article does state there is no problem with adding a drive, just in replacing the existing one.

I don't know if it's exactly what you need, but Google "microsata to sata adapter".

NutsNGum

macrumors 68030
Jul 30, 2010
Glasgow, Scotland
Wirelessly posted (Mozilla/5.0 (iPhone; U; CPU iPhone OS 4_1 like Mac OS X; en-us) AppleWebKit/532.9 (KHTML, like Gecko) Version/4.0.5 Mobile/8B117 Safari/6531.22.7)

Isn't it enough to want one Badge?

iSayuSay

macrumors 68040
Feb 6, 2011
Why do you need a SSD?

As you can see, OP here was able and willing to tear down his iMac .. well, each to his own I guess, but add another SSD wont hurt, right?

We may don´t want Apple offering with SSD, but for everyone else out there who wants to install cheaper/smaller/better performance SSD .. well I must admit I envy them

ChargedPC

macrumors member
May 3, 2011
The cable is actually a Slimline SATA connector and we wrote a little post on how to connect the SSD to the back of the motherboard here

ecstacy2012

macrumors member
Apr 9, 2011
hey charged pc why this new method when you have the y spilter to sata for the power and extra data sata cable from sata port 1 to other ssd?? also did you find in your doing it that way that the ssd doesn't show up from running osx disk? as the owc 6g ssd's don't show up either in disk utility or when installing osx from disk did you check this? please let me know as i have dual ssd's working in mine without any fan problems or anything else but I need to fix this to be able to raid 0 them. thanks

ChargedPC

macrumors member
May 3, 2011
hey charged pc why this new method when you have the y spilter to sata for the power and extra data sata cable from sata port 1 to other ssd?? also did you find in your doing it that way that the ssd doesn't show up from running osx disk? as the owc 6g ssd's don't show up either in disk utility or when installing osx from disk did you check this? please let me know as i have dual ssd's working in mine without any fan problems or anything else but I need to fix this to be able to raid 0 them. thanks

Great question! The reason we prefer this method is that if you use the y-splitter cable, the hard drive temperature sensor isn't getting the proper information. While it may not cause the fans to rev, we've had instances where it causes the system to read the HD temperature in the 120s. Therefore having a dedicated power line for the SSD, there is no interference with the main HDs power cable, and thus its temperature readings.

All in all though, the y-splitter will do the job just fine if that's all you have.

Since we take out the original hard drive and clone it on a separate computer to the SSD, we haven't been in a situation where we boot into the OS X disk. Will check on the disk utility issue when we get a chance...

alienatf

macrumors member
Original poster
Jul 2, 2010
Russia, Moscow
Yes!!! I've done.

As described near topic, just buy y-sata power slitter and satsa data cable and that's enought.

But i have to spend much more time. iMac 2010 - simply change power cable and plug data cable.
New imac - i have to take off logic board.

BUT!!! i think there must be new data+power cable specially for SSD.

i think 1-2 months and problem will have pretty solution.

Sorry for my english (i'm russian)

ZeD X

macrumors regular
Apr 26, 2011
Why do you need a SSD?

Reading your answers on other posts, I think that you probably think: "Wow, if apple engineers put an HDD on their iMac, why the **** someone want to put an SSD on it?" Right?

SSD are better than HHDs. MUCH better.

alienatf

macrumors member
Original poster
Jul 2, 2010
Russia, Moscow
So what i'm try to tell.

There is 3 sata ports on logic board:
1) Non standart power + data cable - for HDD
2) sata data + micro sata power - for DVD
3) sata data + micro sata power - for SSD

But, y-splitter use power from №1 and i think it can be bomb in future: apple could release new firmware that limits power for №1 power port, so SSD will not work because of lower power.

Pretty solution:
power + data cable
#1 side (plug into logic board) must look like this:
(Slimline Sata Power + Sata Data)
200px-SATA_Slimline_Powercable.jpg
+
150px-SATA_Data_Cable.jpg

#2 side (plug into ssd drive) must look like this
(Sata Power + Sata Data)

200px-SATA_power_cable.jpg
+
150px-SATA_Data_Cable.jpg

Last edited:

ZeD X

macrumors regular
Apr 26, 2011
Hmm, so it's a Slim sata (6 + 7 pin).

Pick a slim sata male (13pin) to sata male adapter.

Or a slim sata male cable + adapter.

alienatf

macrumors member
Original poster
Jul 2, 2010
Russia, Moscow
Hmm, so it's a Slim sata (6 + 7 pin).

Pick a slim sata male (13pin) to sata male adapter.

Or a slim sata male cable + adapter.

Can you give me link for that products so i can buy it ?

I've explored lot of sites and didn't find me cable that i need. Thanks.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.