Register FAQ / Rules Forum Spy Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read
Go Back   MacRumors Forums > Apple Hardware > Mac Peripherals

Old May 25, 2011, 09:30 AM   #1
YUI
macrumors newbie

Frustrated.. Cursor moving by itself

As the title says, my cursor is sometimes moving by itself. I've been researching, but it seems that the most common problem is when the cursor slighty move up or down the screen when you're not even near it.
It's not like that in my case thought.
Somehow, while I'm working, the cursor suddenly gets out of control. It's like another person is moving the cursor, while I'm desperately trying to fight back. I've tried leaving it, just to see what happens, but it only jumps around and randomly right clicks on things.

It goes back to normal again if I close the mac and open it again, but only for a short while.
Any ideas?

Last edited by YUI; May 26, 2011 at 08:34 AM.
YUI is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old May 26, 2011, 09:28 AM   #2
SkippyThorson
macrumors 65816

Send a message via AIM to SkippyThorson
The first thing I have to ask is what you're using? Is it a wired Apple mouse / wireless bluetooth Apple mouse / third party mouse / Magic Trackpad / laptop trackpad?

I think from there we can begin to properly diagnose your haunted cursor. I just have to ask, you don't have any remote-computer programs running like LogMeIn, do you? No friends that like a good prank? Interesting issue.
SkippyThorson is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old May 26, 2011, 10:52 AM   #3
YUI
macrumors newbie

Quote:
Originally Posted by SkippyThorson View Post
The first thing I have to ask is what you're using? Is it a wired Apple mouse / wireless bluetooth Apple mouse / third party mouse / Magic Trackpad / laptop trackpad?

I think from there we can begin to properly diagnose your haunted cursor. I just have to ask, you don't have any remote-computer programs running like LogMeIn, do you? No friends that like a good prank? Interesting issue.
Thanks for helping!
I have never used anything else than the trackpad on my mac. I've never downloaded any remote-computer programs either, at least not any I know of. And there is no one but me, using this mac.

I can say that I downloaded shockwave the day it started, but I doubt that's the cause of it.. :S

I also researched a bit more, and found a guy with the same problem. Someone on that forum had suggested that he should try to change the battery, because it could be "swollen" and make the trackpad do weird things. I have no idea what it means for a battery to be "swollen", but do you think that could be the problem, as I've only had this macbook for a year?
Here's the link: http://forums.techguy.org/apple-maco...ing-right.html
Old May 27, 2011, 02:27 PM   #4
SkippyThorson
macrumors 65816

Send a message via AIM to SkippyThorson
Other than heat (which could be caused by a swollen battery anyway) that seems like the only logical explanation. Software glitches causing hiccups with a mouse sometimes cause sporadic movement, but for a trackpad, that's the only thing I could think of.

Do the same thing suggested in that thread - which isn't bad for the laptop short-term (a couple hours (just don't do it all the time)) - when your laptop starts really acting up, plug it in like your charging it, and then take out the battery while it's plugged in. Just be careful not to unplug it, because it will turn off immediately.

See if the computer has any wacky mouse movements while the battery is gone. If not, the battery is to blame. A swollen battery is just what you'd assume - it has begun to expand. While it's only very slight, it can be noticeable, and it should be repaired ASAP. Set the battery on a flat table, and see if it sits level. That's also another indication of a battery that's swollen - if it doesn't sit level, or it wobbles because it has a curved bulge, that's bad.

Hope that helps!
SkippyThorson is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old May 28, 2011, 11:48 AM   #5
YUI
macrumors newbie

Quote:
Originally Posted by SkippyThorson View Post
Other than heat (which could be caused by a swollen battery anyway) that seems like the only logical explanation. Software glitches causing hiccups with a mouse sometimes cause sporadic movement, but for a trackpad, that's the only thing I could think of.

Do the same thing suggested in that thread - which isn't bad for the laptop short-term (a couple hours (just don't do it all the time)) - when your laptop starts really acting up, plug it in like your charging it, and then take out the battery while it's plugged in. Just be careful not to unplug it, because it will turn off immediately.

See if the computer has any wacky mouse movements while the battery is gone. If not, the battery is to blame. A swollen battery is just what you'd assume - it has begun to expand. While it's only very slight, it can be noticeable, and it should be repaired ASAP. Set the battery on a flat table, and see if it sits level. That's also another indication of a battery that's swollen - if it doesn't sit level, or it wobbles because it has a curved bulge, that's bad.

Hope that helps!
I see, I'll try that! Thanks alot!

MacRumors Forums > Apple Hardware > Mac Peripherals