Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

Doctor Q

Administrator
Original poster
Staff member
Sep 19, 2002
Los Angeles
My shiny new Dual 1.25GHz Power Mac G4 arrived today. I ordered it the day this model was announced, so I assume I am the first on my block to have the fastest Mac ever made... but only until they announce the next new machine.

I find it amusing that people are so worried about their computer becoming obsolete. If it does what you bought it for, and continues to do what you bought it for, you should be happy with it!

I should know. I was the first on my block to buy a Mac IIvx (the first model with a CD-ROM drive), which was "obsoleted" by Apple 3 or 4 months later. Nevertheless, it continued to read my CD-ROMs and let me do word processing, photo editing, etc.

Now I'm into Final Cut Pro, and this machine should serve me just fine for years, no matter what Apple announces next week/month/year!

DreaminDirector

macrumors 6502a
Sep 3, 2002
Ladera Ranch, CA
On topic/off topic...

Yeah, I feel the same way about my TiBook 800. I bought it about a month ago and already people are talking about all the improvements that are coming. When's the next upgrade? Few weeks? yeah, should've waited. Oh well, this industry's like that....

damn, should've waited....

nuckinfutz

macrumors 603
Jul 3, 2002
Middle Earth
It'll take a leaper much bigger than just a megahertz jump to obsolete your Mac.

Speed is nice but as with any computer...you are the slowest input device. I think you'll be happy with the dual 1.25 for years.

arn

macrumors god
Staff member
Apr 9, 2001
Re: On topic/off topic...

Originally posted by DreaminDirector

damn, should've waited....

naw... not necessarily. You're using your computer now... Once the Powerbooks are revised, there will be talk of the next one... then the next one... etc...

Unless you stop visiting rumor sites, you'll always hear about the next best thing

arn

RBMaraman

macrumors 65816
Jul 25, 2002
New Albany, IN
Everyone is going to be really pissed when they offer dual G5's in January. It would be really cool if they did that, bet I bet they'd piss off a ton of people who just bought dual G4's.

Malus120

macrumors 6502a
Jun 28, 2002
nah i doubt it most peeps considering buying DP G4's now(me included) are well aware of the risk involved. Anyone who isnt must be living in a cave

wilburpan

macrumors regular
Jul 23, 2002
Re: Re: On topic/off topic...

Originally posted by arn

Unless you stop visiting rumor sites, you'll always hear about the next best thing
I remember when I bought my first computer. The advice I got was, "Spend as much as you can afford. Then do not open a computer magazine for at least 12 months." :)

Mr. Anderson

Moderator emeritus
Nov 1, 2001
VA
Re: Re: Re: On topic/off topic...

Originally posted by wilburpan

I remember when I bought my first computer. The advice I got was, "Spend as much as you can afford. Then do not open a computer magazine for at least 12 months." :)

ha, great advice. But I think Doctor Q has the right attitude. It will continue to serve him well for years to come. I'm working on my PowerMacG4 450 right now and I still use it as my main machine at home (I have a 667 TiPB for work) and I bought it when it first came out, so that's about 3 years ago....not bad if you ask me.

So I'll be looking to buy a new machine next year and look forward to what ever it is G5, Power4, what ever. And by then the G6 and Power5 will be front page of MacRumors....

D

Nipsy

macrumors 65816
Jan 19, 2002
I used a 9600 every day for many, many years.

When I sold it a few months back, it was running 10.1 faster than an iMac 600, had 2 internal optical drives, 5 internal hard drives, and was still not truly obsolete.

'Course, I had a G4 in it, 1.5GB of RAM, and FireWire and USB.

A top end Mac will be usable for 5 years, and a consumer Mac is usually good for 3. It you keep using today's software, it will remain usable forever!

Kid Red

macrumors 65816
Dec 14, 2001
Obsolete? Two ways to look at it.

1)Obsolete as far as technology is concerned, in 6 months when your's becomes the low end.
2)Obsolete in usability terms? 3-5 years depending on how bloated apps and OS's get.

MacBandit

macrumors 604
Well in my opinion it will be quite a while before it is even replaced let alone made obsolete. I think it will probably be July '03 before you see new Towers again. Maybe just maybe you might see a slight speed bump before then but I find it unlikely.

People keep crying about how slow Macs are compared to PCs. This is just stupid. These are the crys of people that are either uniformed or underpaid (in other words they can't afford it and are making themselves think that they don't want it anyways by putting it down).

Let me tell you I bought my B/W G3 400 when it first came out about 3.5 years ago and that has been the longest period of time I have ever owned used a single computer. Why is this? Because the performance satisfied me until OSX came out. Well here I am typing this on my brand new shiny Dual Ghz/DDR and let me tell you this it's blindingly fast especially when it comes to system bogging tasks. Like multitasking for example I have burned a CD while running RC5 and Folding@Home in the background and then started up Unreal Tournament and played a few rounds with little to no drop in speed and stability. Lets see you do that with ANY PC. I did this all while my PC using friends looked (drooled) on. They could not believe there eyes and both started mumbling simultaneously I got to have one.

The point is I think I can be happy with this computer for even longer then my B/W G3 because dollar to dollar (I paid the same for the B/W as I did the dual/ddr) my new machine is twice what the old one was when it was new.

Obsolete is more a mindset not than an actual practical thing.

iGav

macrumors G3
Mar 9, 2002
Doctor Q I really wouldn't worry about the Dual 1.25 being obsolete anytime soon.....

There are far too many people that have hard on's for the latest and greatest...... and listening to them you'd believe that the current Mac's are good for nothing other than maybe emailing....... *and generally statistically these people have a G4 450.... ha ha*

*total envy though* that Dual 1.25 puppy you have must be like a rocket...... And it will last you years, exactly like what Duke said.......

Don't forget to post some thoughts etc on spped, smoothness and that multiple fan start up sequence..... :)

iwantanewmac

macrumors 6502
Oct 24, 2001
Sorry to say it once again but I REALLY hope you all get "yikesed" soon
and that something really new comes uot early next year. Then I'll buy.
Until then I'll keep my money in my pocket. :)

Chaszmyr

macrumors 601
Aug 9, 2002
It might only be another month before we have a "confirmed" rumor abuot a new powermac coming out thats twice as fast... And while yes, that would suck for those of us with DDR powermacs, we as apple users have one perk. Apple only updates their products once every 5 months or less (Almost always less), if you keep up on stuff your comp can be top of the line for 5+ months. PC users on the other hand can get a new comp and it be outdated the next week (it happened to me...)

rugby

macrumors regular
Feb 21, 2002
chicago
Making a computer obsolete is a bit harder these days. My G4/400 is 3 years old. It was the low-end tower at the time and it's server admirably as my main work horse. It's getting put to pasture in a week or so when my dual 867 gets here (my wife is getting it). If you're looking to run FCP 3 with all the latest filters then you probably are more inclined to get a faster computer than most people.

Shoot, in a year or so when G4 upgrades come down in price I"ll probably pick up whatever I can get 2-300 bucks and give it some more life.

MacBandit

macrumors 604
originally posted by iwantanewmac

Sorry to say it once again but I REALLY hope you all get "yikesed" soon and that something really new comes out early next year. Then I'll buy. Until then I'll keep my money in my pocket. :)

Who cares if we get, "yikesed". These current machines are faster then 99% of all people can and will use anyway. That's the problem with the current computer insustry. The portion of people driving for faster and faster hardware is gettting smaller and smaller. At some point there won't be enough money in driving the computer speed up at the current rate and it will slow because the slowest part of most systems today is the human user.

Again, I repat I am enjoying currently one fo the fastest personal computers in the world while you do what!? I hope the green or plastic or whatever you have in your pocket is bringing as big of smiles to your face as this computer is doing for me.

ddtlm

macrumors 65816
Aug 20, 2001
MacBandit:

Like multitasking for example I have burned a CD while running RC5 and Folding@Home in the background and then started up Unreal Tournament and played a few rounds with little to no drop in speed and stability. Lets see you do that with ANY PC. I did this all while my PC using friends looked (drooled) on. They could not believe there eyes and both started mumbling simultaneously I got to have one.
And you think that's impressive? Did that on my two year old Linux dual Xeon 700/1mb long ago. Except I was running Quake3 and two seti@homes, since folding@home didn't exist at the time.

jefhatfield

Retired
Jul 9, 2000
Re: How long until the Dual 1.25GHz G4 is obsolete?

Originally posted by edvniow
Yesterday. :)

...or the day before that:D

when the first imac was announced, apple said it would have a 33k modem, but by the time they shipped, they were 56k modems

months after i got my ibook, apple doubled the RAM and hard drive and kept the price the same

Panda Genma

macrumors newbie
Jul 18, 2002
Well...

Well 1.25 owners should be pretty well off for quite a few years, seeing as Apple's definition of obsolete means that they no longer make parts for it. There aren't too many obsolete Apple computers, and before they are obsolete they are concidered vintage.

jefhatfield

Retired
Jul 9, 2000
Re: Well...

Originally posted by Panda Genma
Well 1.25 owners should be pretty well off for quite a few years, seeing as Apple's definition of obsolete means that they no longer make parts for it. There aren't too many obsolete Apple computers, and before they are obsolete they are concidered vintage.

apple soon stops making parts for a machine, after one or two years, but i found out from macwarehouse.com that a company called vst, among many others, takes the manufacturing rights and continues to make parts as needed to supply the owners of older computers

so if your three year apple care runs out, don't worry...someone like vst will be there to make sure your mac or pc will be running for another three years

but as a techie, i have to admit, after seeing literally thousands of computers, a six year old daily working machine is not as common as let's say, a six year old stapler, desk, or office chair

but thank god for vst and others, even if the prices seem a little "high";)

D*I*S_Frontman

macrumors 6502
May 20, 2002
Appleton,WI
I disagree that the segment of the market that drives CPU speed lust is growing smaller. When it comes to computer speed, "perceived value" rules the marketplace, not real computing power being continuously employed by the end user. Here are two automotive analogies:

SUVs: I live in suburban Chicago where 4WD Lexus, BMW, and Mercedes driven by the affluent can be seen on nearly every street. I bet the average usage of 4WD systems to get these people out of a jam occurs maybe once or twice a year. Yes we have harsh winters, but the roads are plowed and sanded/salted as necessary. There is absolutely NO NEED for that kind of performance.

SPORTS CARS: I also see Posche 911s all over the place. Beautiful car that can go from 0-60 in less than five seconds. Top speed of 150 mph. NO ONE can even BEGIN to employ this kind of brute force in the city. You would have to drive to Montana to open the thing up.

In both cases, the bragged upon features are essentially useless to the owner 95+% of the time. But people still buy SUVs and sporty cars in DROVES.

If you are running FCP3, doing audio engineeering, or doing tons of high-end Photoshop rendering work, a powerful computer might lead to productivity increases. Then yearly upgrades are probably a must, as the money you spend on the latest system is actually recouped in increased productivity.

Most of us, however, tap the full strength of our CPUs rarely, and having durable hardware with a stable OS is far more important than a slightly faster system. Heck, I am typing this on my G3/400 Pismo which is my sole computer, and while I will someday do the NewerTech G4/500 upgrade, I am not "suffering" the way it is. I don't know what a "snappy" OS is, but I do know that OS X 10.1.5 seems to be every bit as fast as OS9 was/is, just as stable, and now utterly crash-proof.

I am in a band and my bass player (who engineers our material) wants to get a Mac. I have told him that he should get two: a 12.1 iBook now (best computing value on the planet right now, $ per feature, IMHO) and wait a year for a new tower once the new chips come out. 90% of everything he'll ever do will be easily done by the iBook (WP, web, email, finance, database/spreadsheet, etc., plus it's portable) and the heavy lifting of recording, mixing and mastering up to 48 tracks of 24bit/96khz audio (complete with lots of plug-ins) can be done by the next generation of Macs. The only reason I would ever suggest he wait is that current Macs don't have the raw power to run MOTU's DP @24/96 for 48 tracks w/plug-ins.

But that is a case of actually using close to 100% of system resources to accomplish the task for which you bought the thing. Once he acquires the system, he won't need a new one for years--if EVER. Once your system can do everything you ask it to, reliably, you don't NEED a new computer--EVER.

This discussion is rarely about "need," however. It's about gear lust.

EDIT: Oh, and if your primary system draw is from some GAME (insert your favorite title here), why not just get a dedicated gaming system instead of making your computer a toy?

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.