Go Back   MacRumors Forums > Archive > Archives of Old Posts > Product Recommendations/Reviews

Old Mar 17, 2005, 11:00 PM   #1
rapps
macrumors regular

Kingston Ram 1gb @ $149

Hi,
I just got a 1.67 15" PB and was looking to up the Ram on it. I came across this deal on outpost.com. Does anyone own or forsee any problems using this ram?

http://shop1.outpost.com/product/4389075

Thanks,
Jason
rapps is offline   0
Old Mar 17, 2005, 11:07 PM   #2
YS2003
macrumors 68020

you will get what you pay for

I am always wary of those cheap RAMs. I think there is the reason for that cheap price such as cutting corners for quality and compatability. I bought RAMs from Crucial.com for my 2 PBs and Dell and they are all working flawlessly. I only go with the company which backs up its products with robust warranty and quality assurance. I think Crucial (a Micron company) is one of those rare breeds.
Old Mar 17, 2005, 11:10 PM   #3
bousozoku
Moderator emeritus

Don't buy Kingston ValueRAM for anything...ugggh. It's never worked well in any machine I've had.
bousozoku is offline   0
Old Mar 17, 2005, 11:22 PM   #4
CanadaRAM
macrumors G5

Hmm. They don't even say which Kingston model number it is.

Standard advice: only buy RAM from a seller who gurarantees in writing that it is compatible with your model Macintosh.

If you are in the USA, I recommend www.datamem.com Data Memory Systems.

Thanks
Trevor
CanadaRAM.com
CanadaRAM is offline   0
Old Mar 18, 2005, 03:02 AM   #5
absolut_mac
macrumors 6502a

Quote:
Originally Posted by rapps
Does anyone own or forsee any problems using this ram?
I'm not sure about the RAM, but I am a big fan of Fry's low prices and their willingness to exchange products that are either defective or don't work in your computer as advertised.

Personally, I would take a chance and buy the RAM from them, try it out at home and run all the necessary hardware/memory tests to make sure that all is good. Either the RAM will work or it won't, but make sure that you have everything backed up before installing it.

If you do decides to go ahead and buy it, let us know how it works out.
absolut_mac is offline   0
Old Mar 22, 2005, 10:37 AM   #6
Flyinace2000
macrumors 6502a

Quote:
Originally Posted by absolut_mac
I'm not sure about the RAM, but I am a big fan of Fry's low prices and their willingness to exchange products that are either defective or don't work in your computer as advertised.

Personally, I would take a chance and buy the RAM from them, try it out at home and run all the necessary hardware/memory tests to make sure that all is good. Either the RAM will work or it won't, but make sure that you have everything backed up before installing it.

If you do decides to go ahead and buy it, let us know how it works out.
I bought this ram last friday when it had a rebate. It works flawlessly. Passes MemTest and Apple Hardware Test. 129.99 AR is an awesomedeal.
Old Mar 22, 2005, 11:08 AM   #7
absolut_mac
macrumors 6502a

Quote:
Originally Posted by Flyinace2000
I bought this ram last friday when it had a rebate. It works flawlessly. Passes MemTest and Apple Hardware Test. 129.99 AR is an awesomedeal.
Thanks for the update.

I'm sure that there are many MR members who will be very pleased to hear this
absolut_mac is offline   0
Old Mar 22, 2005, 11:11 AM   #8
ColoJohnBoy
macrumors 65816

Send a message via AIM to ColoJohnBoy
I bought a few weeks back what I think is the same stick of RAM. I've been using it on a 15" PowerBook 1.67 GHz without a single problem. Purchased through newegg.com, though.

http://www.newegg.com/app/viewProduc...155-111&depa=0
ColoJohnBoy is offline   0

MacRumors Forums > Archive > Archives of Old Posts > Product Recommendations/Reviews