Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

Myiphone7

macrumors 6502a
Original poster
Nov 18, 2010
I got me a white iPhone 4 from the Apple store recently. Love it. Even the yellow screen now looks ok to me.

BUT

when I had my black one, I almost decided to get the aftermarket parts and change it out or get it done.

Is there a video or article comparing the two?

I'm just curious since I almost sent my black out to iResq to get the white parts.

awadeee

macrumors 68020
Jan 21, 2011
Canada
The main difference is that on the conversion kits, the proximity sensor is three or four rows of dots, as compared to the black bar of the official model. Since they are not genuine Apple, we can also assume a lower quality glass, paint, etc. However, I've seen some new conversion kits on eBay sporting the new proximity sensor so maybe they're switching over. I am probably going to buy an iPhone 4 black used and switch it white soon, I think even the conversions look awesome!

jfyrfytr25

macrumors 6502a
Dec 6, 2008
I tried three different conversion kits from three different suppliers before the official white was released. The biggest differences I noticed were:

1. Fit & finish of the parts
They did not fit exactly as the OEM ones do. they are close but you can still see
gaps between the panels and the frame.

2. none of the white kits I tried had the oleophobic coating on the glass.
it was like going back to the original iphone, fingerprints galore. you
dont realize how much that coating does until you dont have it.

3. Quality
the plastic bezels around the panels are of inferior quality and chip and break easily.

these are just my findings with the 3 kits I tried. Now I have an official one and I am much happier.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.