Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

philip in al

macrumors regular
Original poster
Jun 23, 2010
I'm in Bora Bora using my iPad on wifi only. When I try to stream Netflix, I get a message saying that I can't view from this area (or something to that effect).

Does anyone know of a jailbreak program, or any other way around this? It also appears that the new hbo go app will not function on wifi only. At least not from here.

My normal residence is in Californina.

Thanks

donnaw

macrumors 65816
Apr 19, 2011
Austin TX
You might try a VPN service. It routes youu through a server in the US. They cost any where from $4 - $10 or so a month. Do a search and be sure you use one that supports the iPad.

We have used them successfully in the middle east for years. However since getting the iPad I had to change providers and we are now going with VPN Account. We will be leaving in a couple of weeks so I can't give a review of their service overseas but the setup was easy and it worked here in the US.

this is funah

macrumors 6502
Oct 13, 2005
Berlin, Germany
once i get more money in my american account, im gonna use this method and go with StrongVPN ... an extra $10/mo is definitely worth being able to watch netflix, hulu, and all the youtube videos that are blocked here in germany.

like the 2nd poster, i cant yet give a review but i've looked up what people have been saying about using it for netflix on the ipad and it's generally gotten very good reviews of fast connections.

donnaw

macrumors 65816
Apr 19, 2011
Austin TX
Well, my husband is now in Turkey and Netfilx works great via the VPN. We had one issue where they blocked the account because we arranged in while in the US but the traffic initially came from Istanbul. I sent them an email at 3:00 am on Monday morning and by 3:20 am I had a reply explaining what they did, that they had unblocked the account and an apology for inconvenience. Great service!!

donnaw

macrumors 65816
Apr 19, 2011
Austin TX
Not sure if FakeLocation will work. It seems to mask the GPS. I believe Netfilx and such utilize the location of the server you are connected thru. I could be wrong but that has been our experience for the past few years when traveling abroad. Having a VPN with servers in the US is the only way we could connect.

I would be interested to know for sure if anyone has experienced success with something like FakeLocation.

romeo.xk

macrumors 6502a
Mar 26, 2009
I've only used FakeLocation while using the MLBtv app, and when there is game that is blacked out nationally, I just change my location to Europe and I have no problem, also, if I just happen to be at a blacked out area, I can just change the state and I'm set...

scirica

macrumors 68020
May 13, 2008
Dallas, TX
I use blackvpn. Sounds like there are a lot of these services, has anyone done the research to see who has the best deal? My quarterly subscription is up in a week and I may move to another service.

Slayerboym88

macrumors regular
Jun 9, 2007
Are any of these VPN services available free, or are all of the ones worth using a fee service? I'm spending a month abroad and will be taking all my iDevices with them and would like to take Netflix with me!

donnaw

macrumors 65816
Apr 19, 2011
Austin TX
@ slayerboy
In my research I have not run across any that are free and I doubt there are any. After all the service has to maintain servers, etc. So I imagine it can get rather expensive. However, you can subscribe for just one month's worth.

this is funah

macrumors 6502
Oct 13, 2005
Berlin, Germany
Are any of these VPN services available free, or are all of the ones worth using a fee service? I'm spending a month abroad and will be taking all my iDevices with them and would like to take Netflix with me!

acevpn costs what, $7 for a month? easily worth it.

there are no free alternatives for iDevices.

donnaw

macrumors 65816
Apr 19, 2011
Austin TX
I checked out hotspot shield. Very interesting. Their Terms and Conditions did give me pause. One thing is that they will deliver ads when you access a web sight. If money is an issue they seem to be a viable option. Just be sure to read the terms first to ensure that you don't have any issues there.

Good find

anchorfree

macrumors newbie
Nov 18, 2011
Hotspot shield in itunes app store.

I'm in Bora Bora using my iPad on wifi only. When I try to stream Netflix, I get a message saying that I can't view from this area (or something to that effect).

Does anyone know of a jailbreak program, or any other way around this? It also appears that the new hbo go app will not function on wifi only. At least not from here.

My normal residence is in Californina.

Thanks

Hey....you can download Hotspot Shield in the iTunes Appstore now. It just released last Thursday.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.