Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

Ahheck01

macrumors 6502
Original poster
Aug 7, 2006
Is it as easy as someone who has calibration equipment sharing their color profile? I don't have anyone local with a calibration tool, and it's a bit out of the budget at the moment.

Here's the Graphics/Display info I've got:

AMD Radeon HD 6970M:

Chipset Model: AMD Radeon HD 6970M
Type: GPU
Bus: PCIe
PCIe Lane Width: x16
VRAM (Total): 2048 MB
Vendor: ATI (0x1002)
Device ID: 0x6720
Revision ID: 0x0000
ROM Revision: 113-C2960K-152
EFI Driver Version: 01.00.507
Displays:
iMac:
Resolution: 2560 x 1440
Pixel Depth: 32-Bit Color (ARGB8888)
Main Display: Yes
Mirror: Off
Online: Yes
Built-In: Yes
Connection Type: DisplayPort
Display Connector:
Display Connector:
Display Connector:
Display Connector:

Would love it if someone can share a calibrated profile!

coolspot18

macrumors 65816
Aug 16, 2010
Canada
The profile is affected by local ambient light, so someone else's profile may not be suitable for your location.

Bat6111

macrumors member
Dec 22, 2009
New York
ok, I have it right here with spyder 3 pro + coloreyes display pro. I calibrated in the dark room (no lights are on).

the profile is

White Point Target = D65, 120 cd/m2
Gamma Target = 2.2 Gamma
Black Point Target = Absolute

PS. I set the Black Point Target to Absolute because I have to match the color for triple screen.

Attachments

• iMac C Calibrated.icc.zip
    106.2 KB · Views: 1,678

Bear

macrumors G3
Jul 23, 2002
Sol III - Terra
Is it as easy as someone who has calibration equipment sharing their color profile? I don't have anyone local with a calibration tool, and it's a bit out of the budget at the moment.
Would love it if someone can share a calibrated profile!
The reason you need to calibrate the screen is that each screen is not identical even if they were made a minute apart.

Using someone else's profile may or may not get you better images.

Bat6111

macrumors member
Dec 22, 2009
New York
Sypder 3 doesn't do much in my opinion. I would highly recommend this http://www.xritephoto.com/ph_product_overview.aspx?ID=788&action=overview along with coloreyes display pro

I have owned both of them. At the beginning, I used the i1 with ColorEyes Display Pro and it didn't work so well. So, I called IntegrateColors and they recommended me to Spyder 3 because Spyder 3 can deal with all types of the screen which means wide gamut or not.

My concern is matching the color of all 3 of my iMacs. With the i1, I never got the result and the black render was not correct ( Check from greyScale tone)

but with the Spyder 3, I got the result and the black render is correct, Especially, all 3 iMacs have the same color but different profile.

*** If you have a good color profile, you can see the different on the last 2 black color bar from the greyScale tone.***

Yeah, Bear is right about the profile. You really cant use the same profile for all machines, Thats why my 3 iMacs have different profile but same color output.

but keep in mind that the iMac's screen only 8bit Display not 16bit.

Attachments

• Gray_Scale_1280x1024.jpg
    Gray_Scale_1280x1024.jpg
    26.5 KB · Views: 1,132
Last edited:

Ahheck01

macrumors 6502
Original poster
Aug 7, 2006
ok, I have it right here with spyder 3 pro + coloreyes display pro. I calibrated in the dark room (no lights are on).

the profile is

White Point Target = D65, 120 cd/m2
Gamma Target = 2.2 Gamma
Black Point Target = Absolute

PS. I set the Black Point Target to Absolute because I have to match the color for triple screen.

Thanks for that. Unfortunately I do most of my work during the day, and even at its brightest setting, your profile is too dark to use. I guess based on these other responses my only option is to either wing it by eye, or buy/rent a calibration tool.

Thanks guys.

jdavtz

macrumors 6502a
Aug 22, 2005
Kenya
The software calibration offered in System Preferences isn't that bad. If that's not good enough, you definitely need to do your own (probably monthly) calibrations. You can't rely on someone else's monitor having the same response as yours.

I'd guess that a software calibration is more accurate than someone else's hardware calibration.

macchiato2009

macrumors 65816
Aug 14, 2009
factory settings are usually accurate and very good for the imac panel

you won't probably see any difference with a calibration

scottchlee

macrumors newbie
Jun 15, 2011
What brightness does everyone set their iMac 27" to before the calibration process? I had set it at the middle before I calibrated with ColorEyes but after the calibration the monitor is at its highest brightness. If I dial the brightness of the 27" screen back to the middle and use the new profile it seems too dark. At the highest brightness of the monitor with the new profile it looks really good. Can anyone share their experience with the brightness setting on the iMac?

Bat6111

macrumors member
Dec 22, 2009
New York
What brightness does everyone set their iMac 27" to before the calibration process? I had set it at the middle before I calibrated with ColorEyes but after the calibration the monitor is at its highest brightness. If I dial the brightness of the 27" screen back to the middle and use the new profile it seems too dark. At the highest brightness of the monitor with the new profile it looks really good. Can anyone share their experience with the brightness setting on the iMac?

the ColorEyes has plug-in for Apple screens. It will reset the brightness to default (highest) and bring it down to the white point target (luminance). If you prefer to set the brightness and then calibrate. You have to set the Monitor Settings to LCD Brightness Only.

For me, I rather stick with the Apple selection because of the plug-in. Otherwise, you won't be able to get the luminance target down below 140cm/d. The standard color profile should be White point target about 100-120 cd/m (depends on your lighting environment), Gamma 2.2, Black Point Target at Min Luminance.

For my best calibrated, I have mine set at 100 cd/m, 2.2 and Min Luminance (Digital dark Room).:D Enjoy

scottchlee

macrumors newbie
Jun 15, 2011
I think I understand it a bit better now. So do you use your iMac at the highest brightness setting (bars all the way to the right) with the profile created by ColorEyes Display Pro? Will there be any harmful effect if the brightness of the monitor is set to the highest all the time?

the ColorEyes has plug-in for Apple screens. It will reset the brightness to default (highest) and bring it down to the white point target (luminance). If you prefer to set the brightness and then calibrate. You have to set the Monitor Settings to LCD Brightness Only.

For me, I rather stick with the Apple selection because of the plug-in. Otherwise, you won't be able to get the luminance target down below 140cm/d. The standard color profile should be White point target about 100-120 cd/m (depends on your lighting environment), Gamma 2.2, Black Point Target at Min Luminance.

For my best calibrated, I have mine set at 100 cd/m, 2.2 and Min Luminance (Digital dark Room).:D Enjoy

Bat6111

macrumors member
Dec 22, 2009
New York
I think I understand it a bit better now. So do you use your iMac at the highest brightness setting (bars all the way to the right) with the profile created by ColorEyes Display Pro? Will there be any harmful effect if the brightness of the monitor is set to the highest all the time?

I use it at maximum when I do color critique on the video or photo but I dim it down to half when I use it as normal user because the iMac screen is too bright.:p

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.