Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

ryancqualls

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Mar 19, 2011
Hey there everyone!

I am in the market for a used mac pro. I have read about people doing basic stuff like RAM and SSD upgrades, to more more involved mods like GPU flashing and CPU swaps.

What is a decent Mac Pro configuration to start with that is the best combination of speed, graphics performance, and compatibility with future hardware upgrades?

I have been looking on eBay and craigslist (I am in Hollywood so production house's editing machines are always popping up on craigslist for decent prices) and seen a lot of 1,1 2.66 machines and random dual 3GHZ models

I do audio production and light SD video editing in FCP, will eventually get into at the most some 720P hi def editing

my budget for the base config before a SSD, more ram, perhaps a better graphics card, and some storage is around $1000-$1500

freeman727

macrumors 6502
Feb 9, 2009
My vote is for a 2.66ghz single CPU or 2.26 dual CPU 2009 Mac Pro. You can now flash it to accept the Hex-core CPUs.

ryancqualls

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Mar 19, 2011
yeah looking at the prices the only pros in that price range are the 1,1 2.66 model

is the 1,1 pretty useless these days? what mods can you do to it?

thanks for the replies guys

Transporteur

macrumors 68030
Nov 30, 2008
UK
My vote is for a 2.66ghz single CPU or 2.26 dual CPU 2009 Mac Pro. You can now flash it to accept the Hex-core CPUs.

You won't find a DP 2009 for that price. Even worse, these machines are extremely expensive to upgrade as Intel charges a hefty premium for they dual QPI (5000 series) CPUs.

If you don't need the power of a 12 core machine, a SP Mac Pro is the much better machine. Heck, I wish I would have bought a SP instead of a DP two years ago.

ryancqualls

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Mar 19, 2011
The SP 2.66 Quad 2009 model looks like the one to go with

can you upgrade the processor in these models?

Also what is the possibility of future SATA III connectivity via a card or something. Does the mobo support it?

Transporteur

macrumors 68030
Nov 30, 2008
UK
The SP 2.66 Quad 2009 model looks like the one to go with

can you upgrade the processor in these models?

Also what is the possibility of future SATA III connectivity via a card or something. Does the mobo support it?

The 2009 SP is a solid machine and with the firmware hack an absolute sweet spot these days (that is if the hack remains operational with the next OS update). The possibility to drop in a 3.46 6-core and up to 48GB of RAM make it a really nice machine.

You can always add a 6Gb/s SATA controller to the Pro. That's what the expansion slots are for. Highpoint, Atto, and Areca have cards available.

ryancqualls

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Mar 19, 2011
Alrighty guys, after much lurking and waiting I have picked up a quad 2.66 12gb ram 2 tb hdd 4870 graphics off of ebay for 1699.

Thanks for all of the advice. The mac pro forums seem to be the only group who is happy with their hardware and not caught up in the 6 month upgrade mentality that is the macbook air forum.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.