Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

lyceumHQ

macrumors 68000
Original poster
Aug 4, 2010
I have bought so many iphone cases I feel I've spent more on the cases than I did the phone.

I've had -

the apple bumper - went baggy after a few weeks.

grifin revial etch - nice but baggy around the screen.

speck pixel ski HD - Again, nice case but flabby around the edge of the screen.

Speck fitted - started pealing after a day and cracked after two weeks.

switcheasy vulcan. - I like this case. I'm using it now. But I don't like the look of it. Does exactly what I want a case to do though.

SGP neo hybrid matte. - Absolutely loved this. Perfect case. But the back silicone started sagging after a month and when I took it of to clean I noticed the logi and writing on the inside of the silicone had become imprinted in the back of my phone. And no amount of cleaning will get it off. That I'm not impressed with.

Speck candyshell. - rubber around the screen started to peel after a week and it snapped at the bottom when I took it off to clean it.

I've spend hours and hours on google and still can't fine anything I like. So hoping someone knows of a case I haven't spotted.

Basically looking for something slim, preferably hard that offers all around protection. So no gaps at the top/bottom (like the incipio feather has). Offers some lay on the table protection and looks nice. Won't sag on me after a week or leave any marks on my phone.

I had contemplated buying another SGP and using double sided tape on the back to a, stop the silicone sagging and b, to stop it imprinting on my phone but I'm not sure if that actually would stop it leaving the print on my phone or if it'd damage the phone in any way.

Any advice/recommendations greatly appreciated.

Thanks.

Willin33

macrumors newbie
Jul 10, 2010
A few days ago lots of people were singing the praises of the Magpul Case - simple, slim plastic case that feels great in the hand and offers more protection than your basic slim case.

Got mine recently and it's awesome. And, it's around $10. Absolutely can't beat that. Highly recommended.

mrdm

macrumors regular
Jul 21, 2010
A few days ago lots of people were singing the praises of the Magpul Case - simple, slim plastic case that feels great in the hand and offers more protection than your basic slim case.

Got mine recently and it's awesome. And, it's around $10. Absolutely can't beat that. Highly recommended.

+1 - agree wholeheartedly

mc2thearson

macrumors member
May 19, 2011
itimber

They're made of wood.

2 piece case, but there's a little "lip" inside that keeps it from pulling apart. There's a very specific way to pull it apart.. it would be IMPOSSIBLE to get it to do this without intending to take your phone out of the case.

They're a little pricey ($55), but they look pretty slick, aren't too bulky, and come with a stand and screen protector (if you're into that).

I've had mine for a few weeks, quite enjoying it, and had quite a few compliments on it already.

you can check 'em out here if you're interested http://www.itimber.com

I also HATE the baggy effect that starts happening to many cases after a few months of use. I had a graphite griffen case for a few months. Loved it for awhile... far from bulky, the "bumper" area offered grip... then after a few months, the outer edge near the "home" buttum sagged, and became level with the surface of the front of the phone. Garbage.

frunk

macrumors member
Feb 24, 2011
SGP Neo Hybrid EX or Incase Slider. Not the thinnest, but amazing overall.

guccigucci88

macrumors 6502a
Dec 30, 2010
I have bought so many iphone cases I feel I've spent more on the cases than I did the phone.

I've had -

the apple bumper - went baggy after a few weeks.

grifin revial etch - nice but baggy around the screen.

speck pixel ski HD - Again, nice case but flabby around the edge of the screen.

Speck fitted - started pealing after a day and cracked after two weeks.

switcheasy vulcan. - I like this case. I'm using it now. But I don't like the look of it. Does exactly what I want a case to do though.

SGP neo hybrid matte. - Absolutely loved this. Perfect case. But the back silicone started sagging after a month and when I took it of to clean I noticed the logi and writing on the inside of the silicone had become imprinted in the back of my phone. And no amount of cleaning will get it off. That I'm not impressed with.

Speck candyshell. - rubber around the screen started to peel after a week and it snapped at the bottom when I took it off to clean it.

I've spend hours and hours on google and still can't fine anything I like. So hoping someone knows of a case I haven't spotted.

Basically looking for something slim, preferably hard that offers all around protection. So no gaps at the top/bottom (like the incipio feather has). Offers some lay on the table protection and looks nice. Won't sag on me after a week or leave any marks on my phone.

I had contemplated buying another SGP and using double sided tape on the back to a, stop the silicone sagging and b, to stop it imprinting on my phone but I'm not sure if that actually would stop it leaving the print on my phone or if it'd damage the phone in any way.

Any advice/recommendations greatly appreciated.

Thanks.

lol dude thats not that many cases. I wish I bought the number of cases you have. I've spent so much I could've bought 2 iphone 4s already... ( i still have iphone 3gs)

anyways you try any iskin cases? they don't lose shape and their made of high quality tpu. Expensive but worth it.

James Huang

macrumors newbie
May 28, 2011
Taipei city, Taiwan
Hi there,

So I've had an iPhone since 18months and initially I left the Apple packaging clear plastic on the screen to protect it. A week later I bought ShieldZone's InvisibleShield for the iPhone and applied it. As posted on this forum, I was disappointed with the InvisibleShield because it felt extremely flimsy and stretchy... Also even when I got it on, it made the screen feel completely different - more rough and just weird. So I ordered a A-case iPhone Screen protector from

Amazon : http://is.gd/3qfCeM
Amazon : http://is.gd/E2RDQa
Amazon : http://is.gd/geTbRX

It usually takes 10-12 days to arrive but mine luckily came in 5!!

I installed it with the greatest of ease and it's quite amazing. For those not familiar with A-case Screen protectors they are excellent quality. They are a hard plastic which in no way distorts the PQ of the device, they are not flimsy too, and in general are just amazing.

Apart from the crystal clear view of the iPhone screen the best part is that the Brand is so smooth and high quality it feels like you're touching the iPhone glass when using it making it a joy to use. I highly recommend it for anyone who wants the best screen protector for their iPhone.

Thank you.
- James Huang.

lyceumHQ

macrumors 68000
Original poster
Aug 4, 2010
Try Switcheasy TRIM... i always recommend it

Thanks, will check out some video reviews, I had looked but discounted it because I don't really like how it looks.

Cheers, will take a look.

I've had mine for a few weeks, quite enjoying it, and had quite a few compliments on it already.

you can check 'em out here if you're interested http://www.itimbercase.com

They look really nice actually. Thanks for the link.

SGP Neo Hybrid EX or Incase Slider. Not the thinnest, but amazing overall.

I have the SGP, but looking for something with all around protection, not the bumper style. Most reviews I've read of the INcase slider say it messes up your screen protector. Is that not the case?

lol dude thats not that many cases. I wish I bought the number of cases you have. I've spent so much I could've bought 2 iphone 4s already... ( i still have iphone 3gs)

anyways you try any iskin cases? they don't lose shape and their made of high quality tpu. Expensive but worth it.

They're just the ones I remember off the top of my head lol. I have a massive bag stuffed full of old cases. But anyway, no I've not even heard of iskin, will check them out. Thanks.

Speck candyshell seems good to you.

Had one, as I said, broke after a week. Thank you though.

Check out Case-Mate's cases. I particularly like the 'Tough' :)

I like the look of the tough and the pop. I'll have to see some reviews to see how much bulk it adds. Thank you.

I'd love something like the barely there or the incipio feather, but they don't come up to cover the whole phone at the top and bottom. Are there any cases similar to those that offer all around protection?

Hi there,

So I've had an iPhone since 18months and initially I left the Apple packaging clear plastic on the screen to protect it. A week later I bought ShieldZone's InvisibleShield for the iPhone and applied it. As posted on this forum, I was disappointed with the InvisibleShield because it felt extremely flimsy and stretchy... Also even when I got it on, it made the screen feel completely different - more rough and just weird. So I ordered a A-case iPhone Screen protector from

Amazon : http://is.gd/3qfCeM
Amazon : http://is.gd/E2RDQa
Amazon : http://is.gd/geTbRX

It usually takes 10-12 days to arrive but mine luckily came in 5!!

I installed it with the greatest of ease and it's quite amazing. For those not familiar with A-case Screen protectors they are excellent quality. They are a hard plastic which in no way distorts the PQ of the device, they are not flimsy too, and in general are just amazing.

Apart from the crystal clear view of the iPhone screen the best part is that the Brand is so smooth and high quality it feels like you're touching the iPhone glass when using it making it a joy to use. I highly recommend it for anyone who wants the best screen protector for their iPhone.

Thank you.
- James Huang.

Thank you. That does look lovely, unfortunately I'm looking for a case that offers all around protection. And this case doesn't come up at the bottom.

Do you have a link to the case makers home page? I can't find it even on google, they may have other cases I can check out.

Last edited by a moderator:

h00ligan

macrumors 68040
Apr 10, 2003
London
Buy eBay knockoffs. See if you like the form factor. If you are happy with it but think the original is better quality get the original. But try tue knockoffs for $2 to see if it even fits. Knockoff bumpers are stiffer than the original but have shiny buttons for example.

lyceumHQ

macrumors 68000
Original poster
Aug 4, 2010
Unfortunately most slim cases don't offer much protection. The thicker/bigger the case, the more protection.

Sorry. Basically I mean scratch protection. I'm after a case that just has cut out for the ports. Unlike the typical thin caes like the incipio feather and the case mate barely there that don't cover the top and bottom of the phone.

I hope that makes sense lol.

JessicaR

macrumors member
Apr 5, 2011
I am a HUGE fan of Marware cases. The best thing about them is the 30day money back guarantee. So you pretty much know if you are going to like it withing that 30 days.

I like the MicroShell iPhone 4 Case however, when it is time to upgrade my phone in August I am thinking of going to the Duo-Shell because it comes in clear/glow and I plan on getting the white iPhone. (The glow glows in the dark and the clear shows off the white iPhone).

Anyway, I have never had problems with them warping slipping or anything like that and I would highly recommend them.

buckers

macrumors 6502
Aug 18, 2010
Anglesey, UK
Have been very happy with the Apple bumper case; no problems for 4 months, until last night when I discovered half the buttons from the case had come off in my pocket (can't find them all). :( On closer inspection, the remaining buttons look flimsy and in trying to get one of them back in, I've bent the casing slightly. Safe to say I'm a bit disappointed...

Anyone know any non-:apple: bumper alternatives? I'm struggling to find anything as discrete and smart in appearance online.

lyceumHQ

macrumors 68000
Original poster
Aug 4, 2010
I am a HUGE fan of Marware cases. The best thing about them is the 30day money back guarantee. So you pretty much know if you are going to like it withing that 30 days.

I like the MicroShell iPhone 4 Case however, when it is time to upgrade my phone in August I am thinking of going to the Duo-Shell because it comes in clear/glow and I plan on getting the white iPhone. (The glow glows in the dark and the clear shows off the white iPhone).

Anyway, I have never had problems with them warping slipping or anything like that and I would highly recommend them.

Thanks :D, I had a look and the duoshell looks great. Think I'll order one of those.

lyceumHQ

macrumors 68000
Original poster
Aug 4, 2010
Have been very happy with the Apple bumper case; no problems for 4 months, until last night when I discovered half the buttons from the case had come off in my pocket (can't find them all). :( On closer inspection, the remaining buttons look flimsy and in trying to get one of them back in, I've bent the casing slightly. Safe to say I'm a bit disappointed...

Anyone know any non-:apple: bumper alternatives? I'm struggling to find anything as discrete and smart in appearance online.

SGP do a bumper which IMO looks better than the apple bumper. It's nice and thin but hard so offers some protection.

http://www.sgpstore.com/cell-phone/apple-iphone/iphone-4/sgp-iphone-4-case-neo-hybrid-ex-series.html

lyceumHQ

macrumors 68000
Original poster
Aug 4, 2010
Thanks for reply! :) Have you tried them yourself? Do you think they'd last longer than the Apple ones?? They cost about the same.

I had the neo ex matte. The same but with a bit of silicone on the back to cover the back of the phone. The silicone at the back started to sag, but obviously with just the bumper that wont happen. Looks lovely on the phone though. No bulk added.

If I were to have a bumper (I prefer something that covers the back) It would be this one.

The LPT

macrumors regular
Mar 8, 2010
try the lifeproof cases. They don't seem that bulky, but seem to make the phone "taller"

h00ligan

macrumors 68040
Apr 10, 2003
London

You can return it to an apple store for a replacement fwiw

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.