Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

airplaneman

macrumors 6502a
Original poster
Jun 8, 2009
USA
Not sure what to call this (see screenshots)—malware? I was in Yahoo! mail and opened up an order confirmation for an Amazon order. This popped up. After taking some screenshots, I force-quitted Chrome (version 11.0.696.71). The email opened up fine the next time around. Anyone have idea how this cropped up? I don't do illicit stuff on my Mac (see sig), such as torrenting, going to untrustworthy sites, etc. and since it seems to be web-based, it just may be a problem within the mail client. However, if anyone has a slightly better clue about what's going on, I'd love some tips :).

Thanks!

Attachments

• Screen shot 2011-05-27 at 8.16.23 PM.png
    Screen shot 2011-05-27 at 8.16.23 PM.png
    115.4 KB · Views: 135
  • Screen shot 2011-05-27 at 8.09.04 PM.png
    Screen shot 2011-05-27 at 8.09.04 PM.png
    35.4 KB · Views: 88

airplaneman

macrumors 6502a
Original poster
Jun 8, 2009
USA
It's called MacDefender. Google it. All you have to do is close the window and delete the Zip file it downloads.

Thanks; I have heard of it (MacRumors front page ;) ) but didn't recognize it. Thanks a million.

EDIT: uhhhh can't find the .zip file
EDIT 2: found the variant: http://blog.intego.com/2011/05/06/macdefender-macsecurity-malware-gets-a-bit-more-sophisticated/ I don't think it had the chance to download the "anti-malware.zip", as a search of my Macintosh HD brings up nothing

Last edited:

GGJstudios

macrumors Westmere
May 16, 2008
No viruses exist in the wild that can run on Mac OS X, and there never have been any, since it was released 10 years ago. The handful of trojans that exist can be easily avoided with some basic education, common sense and care in what software you install:
The first section of that link deals specifically with the MacDefender/MacSecurity/MacProtector/MacGuard issue, which is not a virus. I encourage you to read it.

airplaneman

macrumors 6502a
Original poster
Jun 8, 2009
USA
No viruses exist in the wild that can run on Mac OS X, and there never have been any, since it was released 10 years ago. The handful of trojans that exist can be easily avoided with some basic education, common sense and care in what software you install:
The first section of that link deals specifically with the MacDefender/MacSecurity/MacProtector/MacGuard issue, which is not a virus. I encourage you to read it.

Thanks for the link.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.