Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

Relznuk

macrumors 6502
Original poster
Sep 27, 2009
UT, USA
I was using my MacBook Pro, when suddenly it started shrieking from it's speakers at a ridiculous volume, after which it emitted 3 solid beeps. It did this once about a month and a half ago, but everything has been fine - now it does it again, and I am not sure what to do. Apple Hardware Test does not pick up a problem, the Genius Bar kept it for 3 days last time, then told me they couldn't replicate the issue.

Anyone know why my MacBook Pro (2011 Thunderbolt 2.2ghz) might be doing this?

Last edited:

GGJstudios

macrumors Westmere
May 16, 2008
Thanks, but that's not it - this happens after the machine has been running fine for some while. It boots fine, but randomly freaks out sometimes right in the middle of certain tasks.
I'm out of ideas at the moment, but hopefully with your new thread title, someone who knows will find it. You could also try searching the forum with Google for key words like "screeching", "screaming", "loud noise", etc.

Last edited:

yusukeaoki

macrumors 68030
Mar 22, 2011
Tokyo, Japan
is it the kernel panic?
because I had the same thing twice in a row.
and it was probably because I was using a app that was download through iphone by jailbreaking so that might of caused the panic.

But in your case did it happen on same app or just randomly?

Relznuk

macrumors 6502
Original poster
Sep 27, 2009
UT, USA
is it the kernel panic?
because I had the same thing twice in a row.
and it was probably because I was using a app that was download through iphone by jailbreaking so that might of caused the panic.

But in your case did it happen on same app or just randomly?

My system logs don't show a kernel panic, but they do show a Finder crash, which doesn't make much sense to me.

It happens randomly, not just when I am using a certain app or performing a certain task.

hafthor

macrumors newbie
Jun 1, 2011
didn't get the loud screech, but wife's 2011 MBP suddenly started three-beeping while she was surfing the net. Wouldn't even shut off the screen on lid close. Forced off and restarted okay.

Relznuk

macrumors 6502
Original poster
Sep 27, 2009
UT, USA
didn't get the loud screech, but wife's 2011 MBP suddenly started three-beeping while she was surfing the net. Wouldn't even shut off the screen on lid close. Forced off and restarted okay.

What could cause something like that? Seems strange.

nomanstool

macrumors member
Oct 4, 2010
this is exactly what's happening to my mbp, I installed a new pair of ram and it started freaking out randomly, it appears its something related with flash video though

Relznuk

macrumors 6502
Original poster
Sep 27, 2009
UT, USA
this is exactly what's happening to my mbp, I installed a new pair of ram and it started freaking out randomly, it appears its something related with flash video though

Mine turned out to be a logic board issue - which is weird, since I brought it to an AASP 3 separate times and they were unable to determine the problem. It wasn't until the computer finally blasted that strange sound into my ears, damaging my eardrums that I angrily called AppleCare, who admitted they'd heard of the problem, that it was difficult to detect, that it was a logic board issue, and that they'd replace my computer and pay my doctor's visit if I didn't approach the media.

nomanstool

macrumors member
Oct 4, 2010
mine stop freaking out loudly, it just hangs and beep 3 times, you think i have a busted ram? I exchanged my 4gb ram already, and can't get back, if this is a logic board issue, can I still exchange it without having the original 4gb ram

nomanstool

macrumors member
Oct 4, 2010
would you happen to install boom App, by globaldelight? Not sure if its related, but when I uninstalled it, it doesn't give a louad screech anymore, it randomly freeze and beeps 3 times.

sp1keNARF

macrumors newbie
Feb 16, 2008
Southern California
i just had this exact problem. i was swiping between desktops and there was a full volume screeching into my headphones, the screen filled with artifacts, then the loud beeps.

i guess i have to go to apple, it's unfortunate because i'm going to have to remove my optibay and replace it with the original drive.

worshiper28

macrumors newbie
Apr 17, 2013
2008 Macbook loud screaching noise

I just recently upgraded my ram as well to 6 gb (1x4) (1x2) and when ever i'm on worldstarhiphop or youtube.com watching videos.. that's when it acts up.. I how did you fix your issue?

----------

Whenever i go on youtube or worldstarhiphop.com to watch vids my macbook will run fine at first and all of a sudden out no where.. will FREEZE and make this loud screeching noise. Any other website so far is fine. I recently upgraded the ram on my mac to 6GB , and that's the only change I made to it before this issue.

I have the late 2008 Macbook White..

PLEASE HELP.. thanks

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.