Go Back   MacRumors Forums > Archive > Wasteland

Closed Thread

Old May 28, 2011, 07:07 AM   #1
GordonGekko999
macrumors member

DrudgeReport.com Possibly Redirecting Users to Oddsiti Malware site hitting Macs

This is a warning, I just went to the Drudge Report and I noticed in the address bar a link to OddSiti leaving out the rest because I don't want to link to a bad site here, anyway, I stopped the site from loading, the page was completely white, not one part got loaded but others are reporting that this site is trying to load malware onto their computers, possibly to Macs but I can't confirm this, until we get confirmation that Drudge has fixed this, I think it is wise to stay away.

Just want to be sure that since I closed the page before it loaded, Am I safe?

Last edited by GordonGekko999; May 28, 2011 at 07:38 AM.
GordonGekko999 is offline   0
Old May 28, 2011, 07:15 AM   #2
GGJstudios
macrumors Westmere

Quote:
Originally Posted by GordonGekko999 View Post
This is a warning, I just went to the Drudge Report and I noticed in the address bar a link to OddSiti leaving out the rest because I don't want to link to a bad site here, anyway, I stopped the site from loading, the page was completely white, not one part got loaded but others are reporting that this site is trying to load malware onto their computers, possibly to Macs but I can't confirm this, until we get confirmation that Drudge has fixed this, I think it is wise to stay away.

Just want to be sure that since I closed the page before it loaded, Am I safe?
Read the response I posted in the other thread where you asked this question. There's no need to start a new thread when you've already posted the question.
GGJstudios is offline   0
Old May 28, 2011, 07:28 AM   #3
GordonGekko999
macrumors member

Quote:
Originally Posted by GGJstudios View Post
Read the response I posted in the other thread where you asked this question. There's no need to start a new thread when you've already posted the question.
Thanks GGJ, I figured it would be a good idea to start a separate thread so that the warning would be seen by more users but if you have a problem with this, feel free to delete this thread, I felt it might get lost in the other thread.

Just want to thank you and the other members for all of the help. The difference between a Mac and a PC is that when malware comes out, the community knows about it instantly and they help new Mac users with these issues. Have a good Memorial Day weekend.
Old May 28, 2011, 07:32 AM   #4
GGJstudios
macrumors Westmere

Quote:
Thanks GGJ, I figured it would be a good idea to start a separate thread so that the warning would be seen by more users but if you have a problem with this, feel free to delete this thread, I felt it might get lost in the other thread.

Just want to thank you and the other members for all of the help. The difference between a Mac and a PC is that when malware comes out, the community knows about it instantly and they help new Mac users with these issues. Have a good Memorial Day weekend.
The only problem is the thread title is misleading. The redirect problem is on your system, not on DrudgeReport.com. I can go to that site with no redirects. Also, if you're having a problem with redirects, they can happen on ANY site. I encourage you to change your thread title to something more appropriate and accurate, such as "problem with redirecting to other sites". This link will show you how to change it.
Old May 28, 2011, 07:36 AM   #5
GordonGekko999
macrumors member

Quote:
The only problem is the thread title is misleading. The redirect problem is on your system, not on DrudgeReport.com. I can go to that site with no redirects. Also, if you're having a problem with redirects, they can happen on ANY site. I encourage you to change your thread title to something more appropriate and accurate, such as "problem with redirecting to other sites". This link will show you how to change it.
I would agree with you except that a google search for oddsiti is showing many complaints of other users being redirected from DrudgeReport, in addition one person is stating the Oddsiti site did try to load the MacDefender on his computer.

I think in this case it has nothing to do with my computer, I think an ad on Drudge is able to redirect users to the offending site.
Old May 28, 2011, 07:39 AM   #6
GGJstudios
macrumors Westmere

Quote:
I would agree with you except that a google search for oddsiti is showing many complaints of other users being redirected from DrudgeReport, in addition one person is stating the Oddsiti site did try to load the MacDefender on his computer.

I think in this case it has nothing to do with my computer, I think an ad on Drudge is able to redirect users to the offending site.
Just curious: are you using Safari, and if so, do you have "Enable Java" checked in Safari > Preferences > Security? If so, you should uncheck it, along with unchecking "Open "safe" files after downloading". You should also consider using an adblocker. If it is an ad, then again, it's not DrudgeReport.com, but the ad site doing the redirect. If it is MacDefender, it has shown up all over the web, on Yahoo.com, Facebook.com, Google image search results, etc. So it's not specific to any one site.
Old May 28, 2011, 07:46 AM   #7
GordonGekko999
macrumors member

Quote:
Just curious: are you using Safari, and if so, do you have "Enable Java" checked in Safari > Preferences > Security? If so, you should uncheck it, along with unchecking "Open "safe" files after downloading". You should also consider using an adblocker. If it is an ad, then again, it's not DrudgeReport.com, but the ad site doing the redirect. If it is MacDefender, it has shown up all over the web, on Yahoo.com, Facebook.com, Google image search results, etc. So it's not specific to any one site.
Thanks, and I want to add that I did go back to Drudge with no problem, so it is not happening every single time.

I do have "open safe" unchecked, I use click2flash to block flash, do you have an adblocker you recommend for Safari?

I find that safari slows down, many beachballs after being open for a couple of days, I have to restart the computer, have you used Google Chrome, any better on these issues?

The only problem is that I use Java for a few sites like NY Times, do you feel that Java is a big risk?

Closed Thread
MacRumors Forums > Archive > Wasteland