Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

AT&T or Verzion?

• Total voters

eNcrypTioN

macrumors 6502
Original poster
Nov 4, 2009
Ok so the next iPhone should be coming out either this summer or early fall so I'm planning on taking the plunge and buying my first iPhone soon. I live in Fort Lauderdale, FL and I'm interested to here from people in South Florida or in Florida in general.

Which service is better for the iPhone?

I'm currently contract free on Sprint and have never had AT&T or Verizon.

Thanks for your input.

nateo200

macrumors 68030
Feb 4, 2009
Upstate NY
AT&T and AT&T and AT&T. Just a heads up go look in my "Post your 3G speed test results" thread on this page and you'll see AT&T has really stepped up and they have much higher potential regardless of area than Verizon. I don't live in South, FL so I shouldn't be posting but I've been down there and I can attest to Verizons half assed service down there, as it turns out AT&T ate up allot more licenses for frequencies than Verizon so AT&T has allot of 850Mhz down there which is good for in building reception. Theres a website somewhere where you can look at an unbiased view of who has more towers, spectrum, etc. I just haven't used it in ages.

macdragonfl

macrumors 6502a
Jan 11, 2006
Ft. Lauderdale,Fl
Wirelessly posted (Mozilla/5.0 (iPhone; U; CPU iPhone OS 4_3_3 like Mac OS X; en-us) AppleWebKit/533.17.9 (KHTML, like Gecko) Version/5.0.2 Mobile/8J2 Safari/6533.18.5)

AT&T's network rocks in S. Fl much faster data and voice is very reliable even in the Keys.

s.hasan546

macrumors 6502
Feb 26, 2011
NY
i hate AT&T with a passion but when i fly down for business to west palm beach and boca raton, AT&T gives me better service than Verizon. Granted i have no issues with Verizon down there (still great call quality and everything else), AT&T does have faster internet speeds down there. However, in the NE AT&T sucks balls.

nateo200

macrumors 68030
Feb 4, 2009
Upstate NY
http://www.wirelessadvisor.com/zipcode-search/eccc3c3b4t

If you use that website and punch in Fort Lauderdale you'll see AT&T has both 850 and 1900. 1900 is good for capacity while 850 is good for in building coverage, range, and penetrating just general blockage. Verizon only has 1900 so walk in front of a twig and your liable to drop a bar or so...I noticed it when I was down there my self. I walked 25 feet into IKEA and my phone instantly said "searching for service" followed by one bar of 2G and a horrible battery draining effect. I needed to txt my sister in the store to meet me in the cafeteria and I had to climb on top of a bed where there was a glass ceiling just to send a TEXT. Just some of my .02 cents..

Last edited:

ph00ny

macrumors member
May 28, 2011
I'm a big fan of simultaneous data/voice
Supposedly the data service on at&t "4g" capable phones have been known to hit 10+Mpbs and sometimes in the 15+ range in florida area

YaBoiD

macrumors regular
Apr 12, 2011
Ft. Lauderdale here. Switched one of my lines from Sprint to AT&T & got the iP4. Service has been extremely reliable even in buildings where Sprint would struggle. As the above posters have pointed out, the 850mhz band really make a difference. I had Verizon also and honestly see no difference in service between them & Sprint. AT&T has just been pretty good so far & they seem dedicated to improving service even more from everyone I've talked to & on the blogs.

Last edited:

spillproof

macrumors 68020
Jun 4, 2009
USA
AT&T hands down. As nateo200 pointed out, AT&T has much better indoor coverage.

My parents live in an area (Palm Beach) that gets a lot of tourism and snowbirds and they always hear people complaining of the poor signal service they get indoors from Verizon.

the.sheepdog

macrumors regular
Oct 13, 2009
Central FL
In Florida, ATT is the hands down winner. It may well be very different elsewhere, but here in Central Florida where I am- 100% overage all the time.

Hey Jude

macrumors 6502a
May 9, 2008
Florida
In the Fort Lauderdale area, AT&T sucks for both my co-worker, whom I speak to several times a day during the course of our workday, and I. The voice quality is mediocre, his Internet connection is spotty and several dropped calls a day, so he was contemplating switching to Verizon, but he needs to be able to use voice and data at the same time, so he is stuck with AT&T.

My advice, if using voice and data concurrently is not an issue, is to go with Verizon in Fort Lauderdale; you will be happy you did. I need a GSM phone, so I am stuck using AT&T, but I don't ever plan to be under contract with them again.

CK1Czar

macrumors member
Jan 21, 2010
I live in Ft. Lauderdale and have AT&T. The service is ok. Just depends on what area you're in. I use voice and data all the time, so Verizon is out of it for me

tim100

macrumors 65816
May 25, 2009
Any updates? I live gulf Side of south Florida. I have AT&T but was thinking of switching to Verizon.

RotaryP7

macrumors 6502a
Aug 31, 2011
Miami, FL
I haven't had any problems with AT&T in Miami. Although, in my house sometimes I get 1-2 bars. It happens. :rolleyes:

Everywhere else, 4-5 bars.

mpossoff

macrumors 68020
Mar 21, 2010
Philadelphia
Ok so the next iPhone should be coming out either this summer or early fall so I'm planning on taking the plunge and buying my first iPhone soon. I live in Fort Lauderdale, FL and I'm interested to here from people in South Florida or in Florida in general.

Which service is better for the iPhone?

I'm currently contract free on Sprint and have never had AT&T or Verizon.

Thanks for your input.

AT&T is excellent in south Florida: Clearwater, Tampa, Orlanda.

tim100

macrumors 65816
May 25, 2009
is there anybody out there

AT&T is excellent in south Florida: Clearwater, Tampa, Orlanda.

how does verizon compare to at&t in tampa-sarasota? i want to switch to verizon is that a good idea i have at&t?

G37dude80

macrumors member
Jun 26, 2009
Coral Springs
I live in boca and my AT&T connection rocks. Solid 6 Mbps at times! Only place in S. FL where AT&T fails is inside of the AA arena lol.

tim100

macrumors 65816
May 25, 2009
Not sure on how AT&T compares to VZW. All I know is AT&T was superb in Tampa/Clearwater.

AT&T isn't good where you live?

i dont think its very good. moved here from up north with no drops and perfect service. now inside buildings i have problems and sometimes get texts 3 mins late. i dont have anything to compare it to, if verizon is better then i will switch but i guess it could be worse. i just dont know what cell phone reception expectations to have in florida

mpossoff

macrumors 68020
Mar 21, 2010
Philadelphia
i dont think its very good. moved here from up north with no drops and perfect service. now inside buildings i have problems and sometimes get texts 3 mins late. i dont have anything to compare it to, if verizon is better then i will switch but i guess it could be worse. i just dont know what cell phone reception expectations to have in florida

Ok good enough reason then. That's not my experience or others experience in south Florida and/or Gulf coast.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.