Register FAQ / Rules Forum Spy Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read
Go Back   MacRumors Forums > Apple Applications > Mac Applications and Mac App Store

Old Mar 18, 2005, 12:11 PM   #1
sowlerrmgh
macrumors member

Playstation 2 Emulator

Hi,

Does anyone know a Playstation 2 emulator for mac

Thank You

Kind Regards

Richard Sowler
sowlerrmgh is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Mar 18, 2005, 12:29 PM   #2
Dan8302
macrumors member

no

In short.... no
People have been taking about this for years, some exist for winblows, never tired them so i don't know how well they work, but none exist for Max at this point. I would say wait a few more years and there will be, but by then you probably won't want one.
Dan8302 is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Mar 18, 2005, 01:26 PM   #3
Darwin
macrumors 65816

There was once a Playstation emulator but Sony didn't really like the idea and so its production was stopped, this is properly why there isn't a PS2 one either
Darwin is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Mar 18, 2005, 01:34 PM   #4
Sutekidane
macrumors 6502a

Well, sytems have become more and more difficult to emulate, thus the amount of working emulators available for modern systems is pretty much nil. The PS2 is also notoriously difficult to program for due to it's complex architecture.
Sutekidane is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Mar 18, 2005, 01:37 PM   #5
brap
macrumors 68000

Quote:
Originally Posted by Darwin
There was once a Playstation emulator but Sony didn't really like the idea and so its production was stopped, this is properly why there isn't a PS2 one either
Not at all, Sony didn't like VGS because it was payware, and worked. they haven't any issues with either Flarestorm or PCSX. Neither of which run commercial games to a playable level, reliably. Actually, they don't seem to care at all now, so long as you're not paying for it - check the plethora of PC PSX emulators.

There isn't a PS2 emulator because it's so damn hard. Even the Windows guys working on PCSX2 haven't got it working yet.
Old Mar 18, 2005, 01:59 PM   #6
Norouzi
macrumors 6502

If your looking for a good site for emulation check out Emulation.net They've got a bunch of great emulators, I picked one up for the SNES so I could play a Zelda game, worked great. They have an emulator for the PlayStation (PCSX to be exact) no PS2 though.
Norouzi is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Mar 18, 2005, 02:06 PM   #7
Lord Blackadder
macrumors G4

I think Sony sees proprietary tech as it's best defense against piracy, and it certainly works in the case of PS2 emulation. Like others have said, emulating a PS2 on a PC has proven to be nearly too difficult to be worth it.

Don't expect to see one that runs acceptably until well after the console is obsolete.

I love VGS on my old G3 iMac - it is the only PSX I have since my real one died years ago. I still play Tenchu on it every once in a while.

MacRumors Forums > Apple Applications > Mac Applications and Mac App Store