Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

sowlerrmgh

macrumors member
Original poster
Oct 26, 2004
Hi,

Does anyone know a Playstation 2 emulator for mac

Thank You

Kind Regards

Richard Sowler

Dan8302

macrumors member
Feb 28, 2003
Rochester, NY
no

In short.... no
People have been taking about this for years, some exist for winblows, never tired them so i don't know how well they work, but none exist for Max at this point. I would say wait a few more years and there will be, but by then you probably won't want one.

Darwin

macrumors 65816
Jun 2, 2003
round the corner
There was once a Playstation emulator but Sony didn't really like the idea and so its production was stopped, this is properly why there isn't a PS2 one either

Sutekidane

macrumors 6502a
Jan 26, 2005
Well, sytems have become more and more difficult to emulate, thus the amount of working emulators available for modern systems is pretty much nil. The PS2 is also notoriously difficult to program for due to it's complex architecture.

brap

macrumors 68000
May 10, 2004
Nottingham
Darwin said:
There was once a Playstation emulator but Sony didn't really like the idea and so its production was stopped, this is properly why there isn't a PS2 one either
Not at all, Sony didn't like VGS because it was payware, and worked. they haven't any issues with either Flarestorm or PCSX. Neither of which run commercial games to a playable level, reliably. Actually, they don't seem to care at all now, so long as you're not paying for it - check the plethora of PC PSX emulators.

There isn't a PS2 emulator because it's so damn hard. Even the Windows guys working on PCSX2 haven't got it working yet.

Norouzi

macrumors 6502
Aug 6, 2004
Philadelphia, PA
If your looking for a good site for emulation check out Emulation.net They've got a bunch of great emulators, I picked one up for the SNES so I could play a Zelda game, worked great. They have an emulator for the PlayStation (PCSX to be exact) no PS2 though.

Lord Blackadder

macrumors P6
May 7, 2004
Sod off
I think Sony sees proprietary tech as it's best defense against piracy, and it certainly works in the case of PS2 emulation. Like others have said, emulating a PS2 on a PC has proven to be nearly too difficult to be worth it.

Don't expect to see one that runs acceptably until well after the console is obsolete.

I love VGS on my old G3 iMac - it is the only PSX I have since my real one died years ago. I still play Tenchu on it every once in a while. :D

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.