Register FAQ / Rules Forum Spy Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read
Go Back   MacRumors Forums > Special Interests > Digital Audio

Old May 29, 2011, 09:00 AM   #1
musio
macrumors 68000

PreSonus Studio one - where Logic should be...

This is my rant..

Logic is the most un-apple app and last one left to be converted to looking like it fits with the rest of the portfolio. It really sticks out with old Ďbloatí from previous years. I really feel it needs re-evaluating opposed to continuing on and 80ís layout (not a lot has changed..) Maybe it needs a rewrite rather than an unjamble?..maybe like the upcoming Final Cut X.

Iím not sure I youíve seen this but have you seen PreSonus Studio one?(http://www.presonus.com/products/Sof...?SoftwareId=11)

Itís very Apple like in look and workflow. Fresh code, no bloat. It looks like the future of logic and based on Logic itself. Itís brand new which is maybe where they took this puck and skated too..

This is the most crazy thought in this mail Ďwould it be easier for Apple to buy Stuio One which is more apple like in it's current incarnation than Logic and customize it rather than add more bloat to the existing logic all? I think yes. You can make music simply with this very DAW. It just works; better than logic and itís infinite options from history that itís inherited.

Great metering, all one window. Mastering in the SAME project! (with digital release options!...talk about new age..meta data input with album art and a really snazzy opening screen) Itís only a v1 but in this incarnation Iím shocked that Apple didnít write this.

This is where logic should be..
Check these vids out

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=BVvgXXoY6Vk

Mastering in the same window..another logic feature..

*http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=bU35Omm2TWo

How about plug-ins sold via the app store? Major players like waves with their plugs costing into the thousands installed via the app store would be a major move for Apple.

A lot of logic is legacy/historical stuff from the emagic..or even 80's days.. I think it would be easier for Apple to start again than add to the code mess that we have which is logic.

If you're a logic fanboy, you're blinded buy it's brilliance and i can't change your mind. If you've used many different sequencers over the years, you'll see what i'm talking about. I do love logic but this is all in frustration of how much better it could be. It's clanky and deserves the same attention as FCX got recently.

One thing's for sure, if Logic doesn't change and PreSonus Studio one keeps changing, then i'm jumping ship. This has potential written all over it and i'm shocked Apple didn't write it. No, it's not better yet but looking at the two horses race, this could be a winner....
musio is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old May 31, 2011, 11:17 AM   #2
Liquorpuki
macrumors 68020

Any other S1 users here? I'd love to hear more S1 vs Logic comparisons.

I switched to Logic 8 from the MPC / Roland MV world. Never updated to 9 and I've been wanting to try out a new DAW for awhile now, especially if it makes things easier.

Also I doubt Apple will revamp Logic to make it more friendly and streamlined. It be too radical of a change for existing users.
Old May 31, 2011, 01:20 PM   #3
musio
macrumors 68000

Quote:
Originally Posted by Liquorpuki View Post
Also I doubt Apple will revamp Logic to make it more friendly and streamlined. It be too radical of a change for existing users.
That my friend, is a very un-apple thing to do...and sadly, it might be the reality of things...

Apple is always thinking about how to be different, think outside the box, best for users. If Apple takes the attitude of 'change is too much' then it will never progress. I'm hopeful Apple won't take that attitude. From reading a lot about steve jobs and apples philosophy, this is what made them different - they weren't afraid to push the edges.
Old May 31, 2011, 01:39 PM   #4
Capt Underpants
macrumors 68030

I'm not impressed.

I don't need a startup window with the latest presonus news. I don't need 'built-in' mastering when I've got Soundtrack Pro -- not to mention the fact that I don't have the treated space or trained ears necessary to do a proper mastering job in the first place. That's what mastering engineers are for.

I liked how easy it seemed to map software controls to hardware knobs, however.

I'll agree that Logic could benefit from a rewrite. I'd like to be able to undelete my audio tracks and have them actually undelete. I'd like the graphics to stop glitching when I'm recording. My requests are pretty simple. If I ever do get frustrated enough with Logic to switch DAWs, it'll probably be to Reaper.

On a side note, if Apple ever makes logic more 'easy to use' like Garageband, I'm gone. I can't use garageband without becoming incredibly frustrated.
Old Jun 1, 2011, 10:06 AM   #5
Fishrrman
macrumors 68040

"If I ever do get frustrated enough with Logic to switch DAWs, it'll probably be to Reaper."

I'd suggest Cubase instead.

The power of Logic, with [most of] the ease of GarageBand.
Fishrrman is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Jun 1, 2011, 10:43 AM   #6
musio
macrumors 68000

S1 was created by some of the team from Steinberg and is all recent code with all the latest tech - fresh, not bloat created by experience engineers. Cubase still has quite a few hangups as Logic which is legacy based 'let's not change it as we don't want to upset people' mentality...

Cubase is another reason i moved from PC to Mac...

Anyway, back on topic, it's not a thread about which sequencer..it's about where logic is going and what it should be with such strong competition from a 1.0 release! It might just be unstopped which it reaches a 3.0 release if the logic team doesn't undertake some major change..

Last edited by musio; Jun 1, 2011 at 10:48 AM.
Old Jun 1, 2011, 12:17 PM   #7
Liquorpuki
macrumors 68020

Quote:
Originally Posted by musio View Post
Apple is always thinking about how to be different, think outside the box, best for users. If Apple takes the attitude of 'change is too much' then it will never progress. I'm hopeful Apple won't take that attitude. From reading a lot about steve jobs and apples philosophy, this is what made them different - they weren't afraid to push the edges.
The way I look at Apple, they've got a culture of innovation but only in certain markets. They're very good at pushing innovation in computers, OS's and consumer electronics. A lot of this is because Steve Jobs gets personally involved with the design.

But not so much when it comes to software. Apple's version of MS Office (Pages, Numbers, etc) sucks. iCal, which would be one of the easiest things to improve, continues to be terrible no matter what type of hardware it's on. All the in-house flagship apps they've released on iOS - Pages, iMovie etc - have barely been updated since release and still have the same crippled functionality. And Apple being in the gaming market is actually causing gaming to regress.

With their pro software, I hope they're taking notes. But I don't think they have a vision when it comes to Logic other than expanding the feature set. I don't think Steve Jobs cares or knows enough about the details of music production to push for Logic to be revamped.
Old Jun 2, 2011, 03:56 AM   #8
musio
macrumors 68000

Liquorpuki, that was a very true post. I almost don't want to see the sense of it but i fear for the worst! Apple has been very 'ios' focused as that's where the masses of teens are but they have a programming team that could work on this. The Final Cut team seemed to have done a great job with FCX, i wish the logic team could get some internal apple love

I wish they would realise that Apple is one of the leading sequencer makers in the world that has a product which has been going since the dawn of recording time. In fact, Logic is in the top 2 or 3 platforms so they have every reason to make a go of it.
Old Dec 18, 2011, 04:44 PM   #9
Jisander
macrumors newbie

Studio One

I'm a long time Mac and Logic user. During my years within commercial radio I have also used several of the other major DAW:s (Pro Tools, Nuendo, etc). I'm very interested in software and decided to test Studio One this spring. I tested and went back to Logic. Tested again and got hooked. Used both platforms simultaneously during a couple of months, but decided to switch to Studio One. The reasons? Audio quality. Studio One sounds amazing due to the new audio engine. The plugins are great and I hear details to a level I never experienced before. Simplicity, Studio One is the simplest DAW I have used. I uninstalled Logic and now use Studio One full time in my studio when producing radio commercials, radioreklam.

I can truly recommend this software.

Last edited by Jisander; Feb 13, 2012 at 04:18 PM.
Jisander is offline   0 Reply With Quote

MacRumors Forums > Special Interests > Digital Audio

Tags
logic, presonus, studio