Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

76ShovelHead

macrumors 6502a
Original poster
May 30, 2010
Florida
I'ts happened before, but I don't remember it taking this long. I shut the computer off hours ago, and when my mom went to turn it on it does nothing. Pushing the power button does nothing. Afew months ago I went into the case, and accidently forgot the power cord was still attached and ripped it open. I noticed it was missing a prong on the power button but later found out it's supposed to be like that. I have been able to use the power button but sometimes it won't turn on. Could it be the cable? I also thought maybe the PRAM battery? I hit the reset switch on the motherboard and still no response when i tried pushing the power button. Please help :confused: :(

burnout8488

macrumors 6502a
May 8, 2011
Endwell, NY
If you've got the shell off, use a piece of metal (pliers, paperclip, etc) and bridge the two contacts in the socket where the power switch connects to on the logic board. If it turns on, you have a bum power switch. If not, then it's something else.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.