Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

Leiser9

macrumors newbie
Original poster
May 29, 2011
I have a LaCie 2TB External Hard Drive (Product code: 301871U) that, after simultaneously falling 76 cm unto a soft surface and the USB cable coming loose from computer, doesn't appear on any Mac. When I hook it up to any Windows computer, the 32GB FAT32 Partition appears and works completely fine, but when I hook it up to any Mac, the main 1.97 TB Mac OS Partition doesn't appear at all and my 32 GB FAT32 Partition appears after half a minute, then within 20 seconds disappears and then an error message appears, stating that I have improperly disconnected it. For the most part, the actual hard drive looks and sounds fine. Additional information is that I have been using it for nearly 13 months prior to this and have 1.5 TB of files on it. What can I do to get it working again?

MacForScience

macrumors 6502
Sep 7, 2010
USA
I have a LaCie 2TB External Hard Drive (Product code: 301871U) that, after simultaneously falling 76 cm unto a soft surface and the USB cable coming loose from computer, doesn't appear on any Mac. When I hook it up to any Windows computer, the 32GB FAT32 Partition appears and works completely fine, but when I hook it up to any Mac, the main 1.97 TB Mac OS Partition doesn't appear at all and my 32 GB FAT32 Partition appears after half a minute, then within 20 seconds disappears and then an error message appears, stating that I have improperly disconnected it. For the most part, the actual hard drive looks and sounds fine. Additional information is that I have been using it for nearly 13 months prior to this and have 1.5 TB of files on it. What can I do to get it working again?

You need to check disk utility to see if the drive appears there if so then you should be able to force it to mount. You need to also run the Verify Disk function to make sure you didn't corrupt the data.

Cheers

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.