Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

Ted Danson

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Nov 20, 2010
Hi,

I'm looking at trying to whack some emulators onto my old (2007) C2D macbook. Its 2Ghz with 2Gb RAM, but also a GMA 950 :(

Would the Gamecube/Wii emulator Dolphin (http://www.dolphin-emulator.com/) be playable on my macbook?

What about Mupen64Plus and the PCSX2 port?

Also, could I use my PS3 controller with these emulators (bluetooth or usb)

Many thanks,

Ted.

evilspoons

macrumors member
Sep 3, 2007
Two things:

First - from the page you linked, "GPU with Pixel Shader 2.0 or greater" is required for Dolphin. GMA 950 is listed as having these features but it is unclear whether they work outside of a DirectX 9 / Windows environment. GMA 950 is generally regarded as crap so YMMV.

Second - just try it! If it doesn't work, oh well! Dolphin is free...

Ted Danson

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Nov 20, 2010
The best way would be to test it out myself, but to do that I would need either a gamecube or wii game, plus controller, which I don't really want to get until I know for definate it will be playable. Kinda like a chicken and egg scenario lol

There are videos on youtube of successfull wii emulation using a macbook pro, but none for the non-pro macbook :(

Was just wondering if anyone with an old non-pro macbook had dabbled with these emulators before...

iThinkergoiMac

macrumors 68030
Jan 20, 2010
Terra
Remember, you can't put a GC disc in your slot-loading drive on your MacBook because it only accepts normal sized discs. If you try, you'll have to take it into Apple or some repair place to get it out (or disassemble it yourself, if you're so inclined). So you'll have to find/make images for your GC games.

N64 and PS1/X emulators will have no trouble whatsoever for power. I've successfully run them with 60+ fps on computers with half the power or less than what your MacBook has.

The emulation scene is, for the most part, heavily biased towards Windows. You'll find that the emulators for Windows are far more compatible and efficient than emulators for OS X, with the big exception being 16 and 8-bit consoles, where there is practically no difference.

iThinkergoiMac

macrumors 68030
Jan 20, 2010
Terra
If you Google "Dolphin GMA 950" (without quotes) you'll find a bunch of videos. Looks like you can expect about 15 fps from it. Possibly playable, but definitely slow and annoying.

vancomycin

macrumors newbie
Jul 11, 2010
I've been trying for the past several days on essentially the same configuration as yours. Super Smash Bros Melee on Dolphin keeps crashing when it tries to load -- pretty sure b/c of crappy graphics. Haven't tried anything else yet.

Last edited:

Ted Danson

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Nov 20, 2010
So using windows xp for example, in virtual box or bootcamp may work? Probably be slow and unplayable though...

I think I'm going to be limited up to 64bit only on a non-pro macbook then.

Even then, I think Mupen64Plus may struggle with the big games (goldeneye!)

iThinkergoiMac

macrumors 68030
Jan 20, 2010
Terra
Will never work in Virtual Box or any other virtual machine, you'd have to boot straight into Windows.

Like I said, I've played N64 games in an emulator on computer with less than half the power yours had. I used to play them on my dad's Pentium III with this awful 8 MB graphics card at around 60 fps (including GoldenEye). The only game I didn't get to run smoothly on it was Perfect Dark. You should have no issues whatsoever. If Mupen64 doesn't work well, boot into Windows and use Project64, it'll be just fine.

Ted Danson

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Nov 20, 2010
Hi,

I've managed to get Mupen64Plus running on my Macbook, and even connected my PS3 controller over bluetooth to use with Mupen.

Mupen seems to have an auto configuration for the PS3 controller, so the buttons appear to be mapped correctly.

But there is a problem, for some reason the controller is seen as being connected to port 2, so games like Mario Kart I can navigate the menus, but at character selection bit I can't go any further!

Any idea why the controller is showing up as controller 2?

Thanks.

MbEAtz

macrumors newbie
Dec 2, 2011
Canada
Well I have actually 3 Questions

idk exactly how to post a new thread i'm pretty new to the site but i'm kinda stuck in a jam here. I'm trying to use Mupin64 for my Macbook Pro OS X running snow-lepoard. controls are a pain so i was looking for a configuration but it doesnt seem like that works. There is Mupin64 plus but to install it is a little above my understanding. the emulator works fine normally but the +version is kinda confusing to me. i am trying to find other emulators again to experience all that retro fun but again mac is kinda tight on other programs being used. I have Xcode and am willing to learn anything necessary to do these things. so i'm really asking-how to work Mupin64+, is there a better replacement that wouldnt cost me extra money, and what other emulators are available for semi-newer systems that would work on the os x? any info would be great! :)

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.