Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

Steven1621

macrumors 6502a
Original poster
Apr 10, 2003
Connecticut
I am presently baffled about what is wrong with my 40 GB iPod Photo. The battery was very low so I pluged it into my PB to charge via the USB cable it came with. Upon being pluged in, the screen flashed once and did nothing else. It's competely unresponsive. No response at all. I've looked at the Apple support site and tried a reset, but nothing helps. Anyone have an idea?

Steven1621

macrumors 6502a
Original poster
Apr 10, 2003
Connecticut
dotdotdot said:
Do you own a power supply for the wall? If so, plug it in and see if that helps

I do have one, but it is in my dorm room in another state. I am wondering if somethign is wrong with the USB cable.

gco212

macrumors 6502a
Jul 21, 2004
Philadelphia
If the batteries fully dead, you need to plug it into a wall. A USB charge from a computer won't work, or at least that's what I remember.

Steven1621

macrumors 6502a
Original poster
Apr 10, 2003
Connecticut
gco212 said:
If the batteries fully dead, you need to plug it into a wall. A USB charge from a computer won't work, or at least that's what I remember.

That is what I am suspecting...

iSaint

macrumors 603
I made a suggestion on another thread under iPod Discussion that you leave the iPod untouched for 24 hours before trying to charge it or turn it on. I had a problem a few weeks ago and read this tip somewhere. I had to plug it in my iBook, run iPod Updater, reset it to factory settings, and re-sync it. All has been well since!

p.s. not sure what the outcome of the other threads suggestion was...

Steven1621

macrumors 6502a
Original poster
Apr 10, 2003
Connecticut
iSaint said:
I made a suggestion on another thread under iPod Discussion that you leave the iPod untouched for 24 hours before trying to charge it or turn it on. I had a problem a few weeks ago and read this tip somewhere. I had to plug it in my iBook, run iPod Updater, reset it to factory settings, and re-sync it. All has been well since!

p.s. not sure what the outcome of the other threads suggestion was...

What is odd is that my PB doesn't even detect the iPod or show that it is charging. It is completely non-responsive. I think the battery is too low to even turn on and it can't be charged via USB in this situation.

Superdrive

macrumors 6502a
Oct 21, 2003
Dallas, Tx
Wall power should solve this situation. In most cases, the battery just gets "too" dead to the point the USB power off the computer can't cut it.

-TJ

iSaint

macrumors 603
Steven1621 said:
What is odd is that my PB doesn't even detect the iPod or show that it is charging. It is completely non-responsive. I think the battery is too low to even turn on and it can't be charged via USB in this situation.

Yeah that's what mine did, but like I said don't touch it for 24 hours then try plugging it in. Can't remember where I found the advice, possibly the Apple web site!

edit: Here's a link to an Apple discussion wherein several people suggest the 24 hour waiting period before trying to wake a dead iPod.

iSaint

macrumors 603
hiroaku said:
I thought iPods didn't charge through USB on Macs. Is that a thing of the past then? Why not just use firewire?

I thought this, too, but they do charge while your Power/iBook is open. If you close it, they no longer charge. Wherein (my favorite word lately) connected via firewire it will continue to charge.

pigbat

macrumors regular
Jan 18, 2005
iSaint said:
Yeah that's what mine did, but like I said don't touch it for 24 hours then try plugging it in. Can't remember where I found the advice, possibly the Apple web site!

edit: Here's a link to an Apple discussion wherein several people suggest the 24 hour waiting period before trying to wake a dead iPod.

I had this same thing happen with my 40 GB photo. 24 hours after a reset you could charge it. Unfortunately it kept doing it so I swapped it for another one.

This does appear to be a known issue with the 40 GB photo's. Quite a few people at ipodlounge report a similar issue.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.