Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

kanpachi

macrumors regular
Original poster
Mar 1, 2005
Hello,
I was wondering if anyone else felt any hand pain after using the trackpad scroller (the thing where you use two fingers to move up and down the screen). I feel like I'm getting carpal tunnel syndrome or something after using it for some time, especially with my middle and fourth finger since I use those the most to scroll.

Also, does anyone feel a sorta magnetic pull right above the trackpad? I believe the hard drive is right below, so is this what is causing it? Try putting your hand parallel to the trackpad about 1-2 cm above and you might feel this pulling or magnetic sensation. Is this normal?

Would appreciate some feedback with regards to these issues. Thanks.

inlimbo

macrumors 6502
Jan 29, 2005
Sydney, Australia
I dont have any problems and I use the same fingers to scrool. But really it all has to do with the way you sit and the hight of your desk. Where are u using ur laptop when u get the pain? on ur desk? on ur lap? If u have major problems maybe think about gettting a mouse.

I dont understand what u are talking about with this magnetic pull. Do u have a metal hand? Are u a pirate?

kanpachi

macrumors regular
Original poster
Mar 1, 2005
inlimbo said:
I dont have any problems and I use the same fingers to scrool. But really it all has to do with the way you sit and the hight of your desk. Where are u using ur laptop when u get the pain? on ur desk? on ur lap? If u have major problems maybe think about gettting a mouse.

I dont understand what u are talking about with this magnetic pull. Do u have a metal hand? Are u a pirate?

Hi InLimbo,
I get the pain wherever I use the laptop. Whether I am at my desk, or lying on the floor, or wherever. Strange, but you're right in that I should probably invest in a mouse.

About the magnetic pull, it's this strange pulling sensation I feel against my hand when I put it near the trackpad. I don't really know how to explain it, but I feel like there is a very small amount of electric current passing through my hand or something.

By the way, your post made me roll on the floor and laugh so hard. Thanks for that. :D

annk

Administrator
Staff member
Apr 18, 2004
Somewhere over the rainbow
You may very well be sensitive to magnetic felts - one of my friends suffered for years with this. I'm not a health professional, but I do know from my friend's experience that the ailment caused all sorts of symptoms, muscle distress included.

andrewfee

macrumors 6502
Aug 29, 2004
With all of the Aluminium Powerbooks there is a small current going through the casing, you'll only feel it when you run one hand/finger across the surface, you should notice that if you put both hands on, it goes away.

I've called Apple about this, as I thought there might've been a loose connection or something, but it's perfectly normal they say. It gets stronger when it's plugged into the wall.

As for the trackpad scrolling, it would hurt my hands too if I used my middle and fourth finger; I just use my index and middle fingers for scrolling.

California

macrumors 68040
Aug 21, 2004
Different angle helps. I bought a plastic powerbook thingie by Macally that puts my Tibook on an angle and the carpal tunnel potential has gone away.

CaptainCaveMann

macrumors 68000
Oct 5, 2004
annk said:
You may very well be sensitive to magnetic felts - one of my friends suffered for years with this. I'm not a health professional, but I do know from my friend's experience that the ailment caused all sorts of symptoms, muscle distress included.
Maybe this person should take off any rings, bracelets? ;)

Pismo

macrumors 6502a
Apr 30, 2002
NH
Sounds to me like this guy has never used a laptop before. I've been using laptops for years so my wrists have conformed to whatever the angle of the keyboard is. Plus, I don't whine about the pain if there is any :cool:

annk

Administrator
Staff member
Apr 18, 2004
Somewhere over the rainbow
CaptainCaveMann said:
Maybe this person should take off any rings, bracelets? ;)

Nope, she got to the point where she couldn´t even use a landline cordless phone! But she desensitised herself by not using any electrical appliances (not even a reading lamp above her bed) for several months, and now she´s more or less back to normal, as long as she uses handsfree for her mobile.

My point was just that some people do seem to be more aware physically of magnetic fields that most of us don´t notice.

I´ve never had a problem with typing on the PB myself - -I make sure I place it on a table or my lap in such a way that my forearms can rest on something while typing. I also use an iCurve and bluetooth keyboard sometimes for variation, but the PBs keyboard is so much nicer...

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.