Register FAQ / Rules Forum Spy Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read
Go Back   MacRumors Forums > Apple Systems and Services > OS X

Old May 30, 2011, 09:40 PM   #1
WiLLGT09
macrumors regular

Kernel Panics when partitioning FW800 drive

Hi everyone,

I am having a peculiar problem. I have a 1TB LaCie external drive connected to my MacBook Pro via FW800. I would like to split the drive into 2 even partitions. There is already some data on the drive, but not much (there will be plenty of room to spare on the already-used new 500GB partition).

It's my understanding that OS X will "reorganize" (defrag?) the data on the drive to configure the new partition, without deleting the data. Am I correct?

Well, I have tried multiple times to do a simple split partitioning this drive, and after a minute or so, my Mac completely crashes. I force a reboot, Repair Disk since it crashed in the middle of partitioning and the disk shows errors, and try again: crash.

I am in the process of simply moving all the data off the drive onto another one. Erasing the LaCie drive completely and partitioning (hopefully) from there.

But, I shouldn't have to do this. What's going on? Is OS X having trouble moving the data around to set up the partitioning? Is there some bug with FireWire drives?

FWIW, the drive is in Mac OS Extended Journaled format with GUID partition table.

Thanks everyone,
William
Old May 30, 2011, 10:21 PM   #2
WiLLGT09
macrumors regular

Update: after erasing the drive completely, partitioning worked. So, hooray. But why did this problem happen in the first place? I'd just kinda like to know for future reference.
Old May 30, 2011, 11:36 PM   #3
Quad5Ny
macrumors 6502a

You could open up Console and look for errors around the time of the crash. Other than that, I don't have a clue.

And yes, when you re-partition it will move/consolidate data so you have a block of free space for the new partition.
Quad5Ny is offline   0 Reply With Quote

MacRumors Forums > Apple Systems and Services > OS X

Tags
firewire, hard drive, kernel panics, partitioning