Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

MacRumors

macrumors bot
Original poster
Apr 12, 2001

094654-mba.jpg

Both CNet and Digitimes have pinpointed the 2011 Macbook Air refreshes for the June-July timeframe. So, it should be no surprise that according to retail sources of 9to5mac, Apple's MacBook Air supplies are becoming constrained around the world.

The 2011 MacBook Air is believed to adopt the latest Sandy Bridge processors which come with Intel's embedded graphics chipset. This is a decision that Apple has already made for the latest low-end MacBook Pros, so we expect they will make the same decision in the new MacBook Airs. The new Airs should also adopt the Thunderbolt high speed connector that was introduced earlier this year.

Article Link: MacBook Air Supplies Constrained Ahead of Refresh?

Last edited by a moderator:

TMar

macrumors 68000
Jul 20, 2008
Ky
Can't wait for all the incoming complaints about Intel graphics and how they won't be able to game on their airs. :rolleyes:

powtail

macrumors newbie
Sep 5, 2007
backlit

The new ones better come with back-lit keyboards, otherwise they will be a big disappointment. I know for a fact, I'm not the only one that thinks that way.

ikir

macrumors 68020
Sep 26, 2007
With good drivers (probably in Lion GMA HD will have full OpenGL 3.0 support) and if software company support it, GMA HD 3000 on MacBook Pro 13" is quite good for a little notebook, it should perform little better than 320M. Some recent mac games show you can play the same or better compared to 320M.

As you can see in this graph which was made at new MBP launch, GMA HD 3000 can defend itself, now drivers are better and will be much more better with 10.7. The real problem is software houses support, but in these weekes many games that were incompatible with GMA are now supporting it.

Full of Win

macrumors 68030
Nov 22, 2007
Ask Apple
The new ones better come with back-lit keyboards, otherwise they will be a big disappointment. I know for a fact, I'm not the only one that thinks that way.

Yeah, no matter how fast they are, how much better they benchmark, ect.... the one factor that will make or break them will be backlit keyboards. Not saying I don't want a backlit keyboard, I just don't think its presence is that critical of an issue.

dawnrazor

macrumors 6502
Jan 16, 2008
Auckland New Zealand
Awesome....

My wife's getting my 11" MBA and I'm getting a maxed out top of the line 13" MBA when they come out, the addition of the Thunderbolt is very welcome indeed as doing backups via USB2 is so slow....

Icaras

macrumors 603
Mar 18, 2008
Awesome....

My wife's getting my 11" MBA and I'm getting a maxed out top of the line 13" MBA when they come out, the addition of the Thunderbolt is very welcome indeed as doing backups via USB2 is so slow....

I was thinking of doing the same, except I will get the maxed out 11" for 2011. :)

kjjnk

macrumors member
Mar 1, 2011
That's odd. I said that because it said in the article that graphics would likely be a "step down."
The article has now been edited, so maybe you're right. :confused::confused::confused:

The HD 3000 outperforms the 9400M. The HD 3000 included in the MacBook Pro occasionally outperforms the 320M under OS X (although not all the time). The HD 3000 included in the next generation MacBook Air will be weaker than the one included in the 13" MacBook Pro but will still outperform the 9400M. It will perform worse than the 320M and HD Graphics 3000 in the MBP.

So the GPU chart goes as follow:
9400M < HD 3000 (MBA) < HD 3000 (MBP) <=> 320M

Last edited:

Caliber26

macrumors 68020
Sep 25, 2009
Orlando, FL
Yeah, no matter how fast they are, how much better they benchmark, ect.... the one factor that will make or break them will be backlit keyboards. Not saying I don't want a backlit keyboard, I just don't think its presence is that critical of an issue.

Although I am dying to see a backlit keyboard featured on the next MBA, I have to agree. Ultimately, its absence does not disrupt my ability to view or use my keyboard, while using it in the dark.

caspersoong

macrumors 6502a
Feb 27, 2011
Nice. About time. Hope they follow the speedy shipping of the iPad 2 and get it here within a month.

tsadi

macrumors member
Feb 23, 2011

I almost purchased the present generation Air when it was released, then held back when I learned that they removed the back-lit keyboard.

It will be the same story for me for the next-gen Air. No back-lit keyboard = no upgrade.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.