Go Back   MacRumors Forums > iPhone, iPod and iPad > iPad > iPad Accessories

Old May 31, 2011, 05:20 AM   #1
Chocolatemilty
macrumors 6502

Using iPad 1 Without Case, Case Recommendations?

Yo, everyone. So, my iPad 1 came with the original Apple iPad case when I bought it used from eBay. This weekend I finally decided to take it out of its case to see how to feels to use. I must say I absolutely love it! So much better than the Apple iPad case. Do any of you use your iPad without a case?

However, I also understand that it's basically impractical to use the iPad while lounging without some sort of case to prop the iPad up. Since I'm new to iPad usage and because it came with this case, I'm not sure what the best case would be to get. I'd love one I could both prop up the iPad for viewing, comfortable holding in the hands, as well as one I could sit on the knees with while on the couch or in the chair to type. Any suggestions?

Thanks everyone!
Old May 31, 2011, 09:31 AM   #2
blackNBUK
macrumors 6502a

I'm in a similar position to you; Apple's iPad 1 case does add a surprising amount of bulk so I've been mostly using my iPad naked. That hasn't been too much of a problem for me as I mostly use my iPad at home.

If anyone has any suggestions for cases that are lighter than Apple's but still work as a typing stand I'd appreciate them too. The nearest thing I've heard of is someone gluing magnets to an iPad 1 so he can fit the iPad 2 Smart Cover.

One final thought, your post prompted me to try refitting my offical case and I'd forgotten how much better typing is. The slight angle seems to make me a lot more accurate and quicker.
blackNBUK is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old May 31, 2011, 09:43 AM   #3
OlgaJ
macrumors regular

At first I didn't get a case for my (original) iPad which I bought last month. Then I decided to order an inexpensive case till I decide what type of case I would prefer to settle with.

I bought this case which I had found for $22:

http://www.amazon.com/Kensington-Fol...pr_product_top

It does not protect the corners but I find it very convenient in holding it in whatever angle I prefer.
OlgaJ is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old May 31, 2011, 10:40 AM   #4
djransom
macrumors 68040

When I initially got my iPad 1 I would rock it naked, but now I like the look of it with the Apple case. What I don't like is how dirty the Apple case gets.
Old May 31, 2011, 10:43 AM   #5
KrisEagling
macrumors member

The cyber acoustics leather folio is the best case I've ever used, it's high quality material and offers great drop protection as it has a tpu frame inside holding the iPad. As you like the feel without a case it's also easy to remove/install.
I got mine for around 25 shipped, but it does come from America

http://www.cyberacoustics.com/app.cf...t&categoryID=5

Hope this helps

Kris
Old May 31, 2011, 10:43 AM   #6
Surely

I used a smoke black Belkin Grip Vue when I had my iPad 1. It's a fantastic case. Looks great and provides a great grip.

I also bought a stand that could be used to prop the iPad up on a table for better viewing and more comfortable typing.
Surely is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old May 31, 2011, 11:36 AM   #7
Tomacorno
macrumors regular

I like my ZooGue case. However, they sent me an attachment for portrait mode that I don't see how to use conveniently yet.

I also have a Rocket Fish keyboard case which is pretty nice. I wanted a full sized keyboard case after finding my hands to cramped together on the keyboard cases that are the width of the iPad. The Rocket Fish is therefore larger than the iPad but it is worth it (to me) for typing long docs when I want to do so.
Tomacorno is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old May 31, 2011, 09:21 PM   #8
LuckRunsOut
macrumors newbie

I picked up a Candyshell case by Speck two days ago at my local AT&T store. Marked down from $44.95 to $5!! Great deal for a great case.
LuckRunsOut is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Jun 2, 2011, 07:25 PM   #9
ecschwarz
macrumors 6502a

Quote:
Originally Posted by LuckRunsOut View Post
I picked up a Candyshell case by Speck two days ago at my local AT&T store. Marked down from $44.95 to $5!! Great deal for a great case.
I came across that, too - a great deal (although I have too many iPad 1 cases as it is...) :-)
Old Jun 8, 2011, 10:29 AM   #10
Chocolatemilty
macrumors 6502

Thanks for the recommendations, everyone.
Old Jun 9, 2011, 12:32 AM   #11
TonySwartz
macrumors member

I'm in the final stages of making a <1mm thick bumper to allow the iPad 1 to work with the Smart Cover (no glue/removable). I'll post an update here soon.
TonySwartz is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Jun 10, 2011, 01:50 PM   #12
CrazyKickCollector
macrumors newbie

i ended up getting a ECO STYLE Envo iPad, iPad 2 Sleeve
http://www.ebags.com/product/eco-sty...uctid=10115829

i love it now I need one with a folder like case to put my documents in
CrazyKickCollector is offline   0 Reply With Quote

MacRumors Forums > iPhone, iPod and iPad > iPad > iPad Accessories