Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

sportsnapper

macrumors member
Original poster
Mar 21, 2011
UK
Just waiting for UPS to deliver my new 15" macbook Pro (i7/2.3 - refurb from the UK store).

I want to migrate pretty quickly, but have a ton of things to get done today. Using a faster mac will help lots, but no if I lose 6 hours migrating...

And any idea what happens to my disk that has two partitions - does only the first partition get migrated?

Gareth

Hansr

macrumors 6502a
Apr 1, 2007
It migrates the system volume (partition). It will take hours but it's based on how much data is there and which you want over. Best done overnight, just use your old machine today as it will just take up work time to try and migrate while there are things to be done.

sportsnapper

macrumors member
Original poster
Mar 21, 2011
UK
Thanks for that. It's arrived - so it's very hard to leave it just siting around why I have to work. And under pressure from my daughter as she's getting the old one. I'm assuming everything on the source MBP gets left as is??

My System Volume is only 100GB, so I suspect once it get's going it shouldn't take too long.....but I will wait.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.