Register FAQ / Rules Forum Spy Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read
Go Back   MacRumors Forums > Archive > Archives of Old Posts > Macintosh Computers

Old Mar 19, 2005, 08:31 AM   #1
OwenMan
macrumors newbie

Things to Check on a New Powerbook???

Hi,
I've just ordered a 1.67 17inch Powerbook. I was wondering what I should check for when I get it?
Also, does anyone know of any software that helps check for dead pixels?
OwenMan is offline   0
Old Mar 19, 2005, 10:28 AM   #2
_bnkr612
macrumors 6502a

The software is called "vision", you need to have version 1.0 or 2.0. It usually ships with your body when you are born!

Kidding...

Just put your face close to the screen (while the LCD is on) and check at various lighting angles and positions you will be able to tell what is a dead pixel or stuck on pixel (one color on all the time i.e., red or blue) watch out for dust specks!

If there is a pixel out, see what Apple can do for you, or wherever you purchased it.

Humour is good, don't take the first comment seriously.

Cheers mate.
Old Mar 19, 2005, 11:43 AM   #3
andrewfee
macrumors 6502

PiXel Check 1.2 is a small freeware app that makes it much quicker to check for dead pixels, hope it helps.
andrewfee is offline   0
Old Mar 19, 2005, 05:01 PM   #4
kanpachi
macrumors regular

Quote:
Originally Posted by OwenMan
Hi,
I've just ordered a 1.67 17inch Powerbook. I was wondering what I should check for when I get it?
Also, does anyone know of any software that helps check for dead pixels?
I would recommend checking the screen hinging mechanism and the screen. In my previous 12" PB, the screen had color distortions towards the bottom border (it was much darker than the rest of the screen). Also, on my current 15" PB, the hinging mechanism makes a slight creaking noise. Good luck on getting a dead-pixel free screen and a good hinge!
kanpachi is offline   0
Old Mar 19, 2005, 05:08 PM   #5
varmit
macrumors 68000

That the power button works. Then its all good from there.
varmit is offline   0

MacRumors Forums > Archive > Archives of Old Posts > Macintosh Computers